Best player under $200?
Feb 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Cougar22

New Head-Fier
I am a noob when it comes to anything head-fi.

I want to buy a new player to replace my 2nd-gen iPod Nano that is falling apart from going through the washing machine in my jean pocket and being dropped multiple times. (I have to use my fingernail to switch 'hold' on and off). Being on a budget, I bought some KSC-75's as it seems they are a good choice for under $50. I do not have an amp.

So my question is: which player should I get for under $200 Canadian?
I've looked at the Zune and Sansa Clip/Fuze, but don't know enough about any of them to be able to make a choice.

Thank you.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 27
If you don't mind having 8 gigs of space or less, you cant go wrong with either sansa player. The clip of course only goes to 4 gig, the fuze to 8. If you want more than that, then i think you will have to go to a higher price range. But the Clip and Fuze both have a very high recommendation around here for their sound quality, appearance, and size.

Its all about how much music you want to fit for that price

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 27
Depends what you want out for it really tbh.
Video playback? Capacity? Tweakability features? Bluetooth support?
Really depends on what you value most.
Pure SQ wise, the Sansa Clip/Fuze.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by inukage0029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind having 8 gigs of space or less, you cant go wrong with either sansa player. The clip of course only goes to 4 gig, the fuze to 8. If you want more than that, then i think you will have to go to a higher price range. But the Clip and Fuze both have a very high recommendation around here for their sound quality, appearance, and size.

Its all about how much music you want to fit for that price

Actually, there is an 8gig Clip now.

I would choose the Clip or Fuse over the Zune because you don't need annoying proprietary software to manage them. Of the 2 Sansas, choose based on which form factor appeals to you more...

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends what you want out for it really tbh.
Video playback? Capacity? Tweakability features? Bluetooth support?
Really depends on what you value most.
Pure SQ wise, the Sansa Clip/Fuze.

Video playback is not required, but it would be a nice feature. I don't care much about bluetooth and am not much of a tweaker. 4gigs is a little small for space, but I could deal with it if the SQ made up for the small capacity.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think best possibility is to buy Clip(around 50 dolars now, isn´t it?) and for rest of money some better headphones.

This is the best idea, but if you already have headphones/have another wad of cash set off for them, you could go for the 8GB Fuze and an 8GB microSD card. The Zune is gaining quite a bit more steam than normal around here as well, don't really know why.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think best possibility is to buy Clip(around 50 dolars now, isn´t it?) and for rest of money some better headphones.

Fuze is around the same price + colour screen + extendable capacity via MicroSD.

Clip is only really for super portable e.g. the gym.

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 27
the little 8 meg clip is $49 dollars at Walmart! A Rockin' good deal!

Feb 16, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the little 8 meg clip is $49 dollars at Walmart! A Rockin' good deal!

I'll check out my local Walmart for those, and if they don't have them, I'll find myself a Sansa Fuze then. I'll probably have some money left over for better headphones as well.

Thanks a lot guys!

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenochimera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cowon d2.

Any reason why it's better than the rest?

Also, Walmart doesn't have the clips
frown.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 27
I'll be using US dollars.
If you want gapless playback, then the choice is fairly limited, the iPod nano (8GB US$150).
If you don't need gapless, and want drag-n-drop, then Sony players are decent choice. The 8GB NWZ-S738A is US$180 (has noise cancellation).
Although personally I'm not a fan of Sandisk players, they are cheaper per GB (8GB Fuze can be found for around US$100!), depending how tight your budget is.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 27
philips go gear(16gb, 2.8in color screen) is great sounding dap(very close to sansa fuze) n it's available on best buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back