Best player to $100??
Apr 25, 2010 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hal55

Head-Fier
I'm after recommendations for the best players up to $100 US (preferably a bit under) for use primarily with Senn PX100 headphones. Requirements are good battery life, good to very good SQ, ease of use and sounds good straight out of the box with no or minimal tweaking. Ability to play FLAC a bonus (probably hard to get at this price I know) and only looking at new product, won't touch ebay refurbished units again after a dud experience with a samsung K3.

This should be fun, what should I be looking for?

Hal55

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 19
"The best" topics are always going to be controversial.
However, for that price range the "best" is arguably the Sansa Clip+.
I'll just put the name here, and leave it up to you to research/decide on.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 19
Sony E Series might be a worthy look, especially w/it's stellar sq.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 19
sansa fuze will be much better than clip+ as it has better battery life....
plus its got bigger screen and interface is very easy on eyes!!
But If you want true ultra portable for anything like gym , then go for clip+..

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 19
I don't need an ultra portable since the player will live inside my shirt pocket 99% of the time. In fact I'd rather a chunky player since, rightly or wrongly, I equate ultra small with ultra short battery life - that's the way it's worked out with two of the players I've owned anyway.

Thanks all for the help so far, it's giving me some leads.

Hal55

May 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
I don't need an ultra portable since the player will live inside my shirt pocket 99% of the time. In fact I'd rather a chunky player since, rightly or wrongly, I equate ultra small with ultra short battery life - that's the way it's worked out with two of the players I've owned anyway.

Thanks all for the help so far, it's giving me some leads.

Hal55

If you decide to go the Sansa route, then you should get a Fuze, as it has a longer battery life. However, I heard that the Clip+ has a slightly warmer sound than it, so you might want to get a Clip+ instead (if you prefer that kind of sound signature). I could be wrong though.

May 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 19
I dont agree with Sansa having quality, but since you need FLAC, there are not much choice.  Sony would be nice, but does not play FLAC.  Sansa players = worst quality.  Worse than Ipods. 

May 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
I dont agree with Sansa having quality, but since you need FLAC, there are not much choice.  Sony would be nice, but does not play FLAC.  Sansa players = worst quality.  Worse than Ipods. 

I think you are largely alone with your opinion there. Most users report above average build quality and great sound quality for the price in relation to Sansa players (Clip, Clip+ and Fuze).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back