Best Planar Magnetic Headphones under $500?
Oct 17, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #46 of 67
Hi to all of you. Same budget and looking for planars. I know, any version of hifiman 400 right?
My only concern is that there are several reports of bad build quality and i have to import these from abroad....
Any advice?

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #47 of 67
My budgets for headphones have been limited from the planar magnetic range, however that didn't stop me from researching the market for when that limit disappears so I can say that the HE4XX from massdrop with its improved headband design over its original, the HE400i, is the best value you can get on planar magnetic. Even if you're in another country.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #48 of 67
My budgets for headphones have been limited from the planar magnetic range, however that didn't stop me from researching the market for when that limit disappears so I can say that the HE4XX from massdrop with its improved headband design over its original, the HE400i, is the best value you can get on planar magnetic. Even if you're in another country.

The HE400i/HE560/HE400s headphone design is actually very good. It has had some variation in batch quality but when it is working right, it is an excellent design for comfort and fit. It's also extremely lightweight. I have a the Sundara-style headband (the newest hifiman style) and I hate it. It's not very flexible and has higher clamping force. Hifiman have been very good with replacing broken headbands for me personally. I have also been using 3D Printed yokes (the part that breaks) and it has been working perfectly for many months now.

As far as sub-$500 planar headphones I recommend the HE560 when it is on sale. It's fantastic especially at this price. The Audeze Sine and Mobius are also good choices, having owned both. The HE4XX also represents a stellar value.

Oct 20, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #49 of 67
The HE400i/HE560/HE400s headphone design is actually very good. It has had some variation in batch quality but when it is working right, it is an excellent design for comfort and fit.
The HE400i had an issue in its quality where the headband adjustment slider would crack, these reports are non-existent with the HE4XX. There is some speculation of them using metal instead of plastic on the inside of it which makes sense but again, not sure if confirmed on what the difference is. The HE4XX may also have a slight bit more padding in the headband but its difference is negligible unless compared side by side I reckon.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #50 of 67
I have owned the TH50rp mk2, he560, he400i, he400s, and he4xx within the relevant price range.
I think in terms of price to performance my preference would be: he400i > he4xx = he400s > he560 > th50rp mk2
All of these are run stock without mods.
The he560's were spectacular for specific genres, like classical music, where the larger soundstage, more accurate imaging, and better detail retrieval really revealed themselves. With rock, pop, electronic and other genres, I found vocals too distant, and bass too lacking. When i purchased them, the asking price was higher than it is now. I think I bought them for 400 or 500 used.
The 400i's just had a vocal presentation, bass response, and frequency response that fit best with me. YMMV depending on music tastes and warm/neutral/bright preferences. Having tried the Sundara briefly, I'd prefer them over the he560 also.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #51 of 67
Hi to all of you. Same budget and looking for planars. I know, any version of hifiman 400 right?
My only concern is that there are several reports of bad build quality and i have to import these from abroad....
Any advice?
What type of music will you be listening to? If you like EDM, HiFiman headphones are my go-to.

On a sidenote, you all know this thread started in 2016 right? Would it be possible to start a new thread for your questions?

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #52 of 67
What type of music will you be listening to? If you like EDM, HiFiman headphones are my go-to.

On a sidenote, you all know this thread started in 2016 right? Would it be possible to start a new thread for your questions?
That's not how it works around here. There is a long tradition on Headfi of resurrecting old threads and answering questions that have gone several years stale. :wink:

Apr 7, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #54 of 67
I too am looking at the idea of planar. My question is, does it follow the same route of normal headphones meaning closed back for more bass and open back for wider stage...just a generalization, not looking for fights.. :wink: Can anyone speak to the mobius? I gathered it was primarily for gaming, but does it work well as a musical headphone? Beginner here...

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #57 of 67
I know I'm a bit late to the party but I agree that a HE560 on sale is a pretty decent option for a planar sub 500$. I bought a HEX-V2 for the same price used and its a step up, most noticably in sound stage. Can also recommend this one :)
Good luck and happy listening!

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #58 of 67
Sundara with an amp

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #59 of 67
Used HE-500 .

Apr 10, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #60 of 67
And what about closed backs? Any decent offerings under $500? (new or used)
I don't have any planars and I'd like to dip my toe in with as little $$ as possible. I'm interested in the classic smooth planar sound, with no harsh treble spikes. I'm guessing many will suggest Oppo PM-3 for this, but is there anything else I should look for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back