Best Planar Magnetic Headphones under $500?
Aug 10, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #16 of 67
Please do not respond to my posts, I don't want you to play the "victim role" as you tend to do when someone calls your bluff.

I didn't realize it was you on this thread, I'm on my phone, or I would have avoided interaction as I usually do when I see you on a post!

Aug 10, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 67
Whoa lets cool it down a bit. People use this forum to get advice .Not for some blood fued.

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 67
No feud, just avoidance. :wink:
Gottcha just was wanting to cool things down a bit it helps no one. I agree the 500's is the way to go if they can find them at a good price but Focus A pads are a must for 400's. The 400i's is about the only Hifimans I have not heard of the current selection.

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 67
Yes, I agree. As an owner of the 6, 500, 400, 400i, 560 and 5(all sounding very different from each other) the 500s are the second best sounding, very natural and organic. The 6 when properly driven is world class, but more then 500 bucks!

And OP, the 400 is a beast with a few mods and some amp behind it!

Aug 10, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #21 of 67
The HE6 and HE1000 are maybe—maybe—ten or twenty percent better than the HE400i. (The only point I'm trying to make here is that the HE400i is a great value. I don't know if it's the best planar magnetic headphone under $500, but the point stands.) There are differences, no doubt, but they all have the HIFIMAN sound signature, and more importantly, the planar magnetic sound signature. Saying they sound "very different" is an exaggeration, plain and simple. Compare them to any other type of headphones and this fact becomes even more obvious.

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 67
The HE6 and HE1000 are maybe—maybe—ten or twenty percent better than the HE400i. (The only point I'm trying to make here is that the HE400i is a great value. I don't know if it's the best planar magnetic headphone under $500, but the point stands.) There are differences, no doubt, but they all have the HIFIMAN sound signature, and more importantly, the planar magnetic sound signature. Saying they sound "very different" is an exaggeration, plain and simple. Compare them to any other type of headphones and this fact becomes even more obvious.

Again I am kindly asking you to please stop, like I said, I would have avoided this all together if I realized the misinformation was typed by you.

Aug 11, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #23 of 67
Again I am kindly asking you to please stop, like I said, I would have avoided this all together if I realized the misinformation was typed by you.

Okay. But I'm not a liar. I share my honest experiences. If your experiences differ, that's fine. Just don't spread lies about me (like constantly implying that my posts are not experience-based) and I won't feel compelled to defend myself.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #24 of 67
Okay. But I'm not a liar. I share my honest experiences. If your experiences differ, that's fine. Just don't spread lies about me (like constantly implying that my posts are not experience-based) and I won't feel compelled to defend myself.

Again, I came in to see if I could offer an experienced based opinion, if I would have known it was you making claims about the Hifiman x sounding similar to x, I would have took into account the lack of substance and ignored it.

Feel free to ignore me. I really have no desire to argue with you.

Aug 11, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #26 of 67
Again, I came in to see if I could offer an experienced based opinion, if I would have known it was you making claims about the Hifiman x sounding similar to x, I would have took into account the lack of substance and ignored it.

Feel free to ignore me. I really have no desire to argue with you.

My experiences do not "lack substance" and are just as valid as yours are.

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #28 of 67
Ahhhh. Thanks for that guys. I think you both achieved what you came here for. Now, does anyone else have something relevant and constructive to say? 

If your going for the Hifiman 400 series, I would recommend the 400S with focus A pads over the 400i.

The 400i needs some modification to fix the upper mids/treble response.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #29 of 67
I just picked up the Audeze Sine today. Just briefly listened and I'm quite impressed with how it sounds for being a portable. The comfort isn't so great and it's on-ear but for that style, this thing is pretty great. I was previously using Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear and On-Ears for portables and the Sine is better across the board in basically every category.

I'm totally on the planar magnetic bandwagon now after picking up the Fostex and Audeze sines in the past month. I would like to try the Hifiman HE400 series and OPPOs at some point and just found out that a new hifi shop just opened up a few blocks away!

Jul 24, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #30 of 67
Hoping to not add fuel to the fire, i am looking for some insights into popular models for critical neutral listening. I have looked at ( read about, no stores to actually see in person) audio technica a1000x, athm50x, senheis 598--returned due to allergy to the velour padding,so senns are out for me, and some planars--oppo3 and audeze dine.

I am looking to use these with a wide range of genres, big band, 60s thru 90s music, metal, no rap or bass heavy music, and about 30% for movies. I do not intend on using them portable. But will use them interchanged with a solid state 1o70s MARANTZ and schiit vali tube amp.

Any advice to limit my searchinh, cause right now there are two many choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back