Best place to buy an MG Head DT?
Nov 22, 2001 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
What's the best place to buy an MG Head DT? I took a look on HeadRoom, and they're selling at list price - $330. However, I've seen reviews that say you can get it for as low as $250. Who has these better prices?

Nov 22, 2001 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 20
There are different prices for different configurations. The basic DT configuration is $279 from Divergent Tech. I went to Holm Audio over the weekend and they now are going to carry an updated version of the DT (what's changed is not clear, they say the cage, updated tubes, and detachable power cord). That is the $330 dollar version that headroom is carrying. The older MG Head version is $250 retail. The nice thing about Holm is that they sell at 10% off the MSRP. So, I picked up my amp for $300 instead of $330. However, I'm not too sure on the differences between these three versions and a new version is going to come out in the coming months that I believe is transformerless or something like that.

Nov 23, 2001 at 2:34 AM Post #4 of 20
It will have a shipment from HK next week. It will have dual mode.

1. Transformers out as normal.

2. OTL Mode - Still can drive 32 Ohm Headphone with more bass , better sound stage.

How it work ?

It is same as before when work on Transformers out Mode.

The Output transformer is become a Loading CHoke when work in OTL Mode and signal is coupling by a 100/160V Nichicon Cap to a 1/4" Jack.

3.5mm Jack is no longer in new version of amps due to not so relaible. Also all tube is not plug inside the amplifers. We found a problem on tube sockets is cause by - left the tube in sockets when shippping. We have simuliar design OEM to Japan but never face a problem like that ! Why ? I comapre what difference between it ? No major diffierecne can cause such problem but only - DT version have a Cover , so all tube plug in the sockets when shipping !

Nov 23, 2001 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 20
I wonder if there is/are going to be somebody setup to do mods on the old MG Head DT (to OTL or maybe even hot rod it)? I really don't want to fiddle with it myself or the hassle of having to sell it and buy something else to upgrade. I would be very interested in a service like this.

Nov 23, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 20
Holm Audio is an excellent souce for these amps as Albert(I don't know his last name)really likes this amp and has rolled all kinds of tubes through them and knows what sounds good.Add in the fact that he knocks of 10% even for non-customers and it's a sale.

Nov 23, 2001 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 20
YGPM!

Nov 27, 2001 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 20
Hey Joe,

Would you mind describing how this new amp will compare to the previous MG Head DT in sound, quality, etc?

Perhaps you could describe how the two modes would be used by various users and how the sound will vary between the two modes?

One more question. <warm smile> How will this new amp design compare to the Dave Berning MicroZOTL in sound and fuction? Any commencts in general on the ZOTL?

Many thanks for a MG Head DT owner that love the amp and looks forward to your thoughts and ideas,

Mark Monroe
Harrisburg NC

Nov 27, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #13 of 20
He said that the amp in OTL mode has better sound quality... I mean, what more is there
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think he has gotten his hands on a ZOTL, but from what I remember, the ZOTL isn't a true OTL design (though I'm not sure whether the ASL amps are either). They should be vastly different in design (obviously).

A fairer comparison would be ASL's upcoming premium OTL headamp to the ZOTL, which would be in the same price range.

Nov 27, 2001 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for the replies,

Perhaps I could also get Joe to make some comments on this new premium OTL amp that would compare to the ZOTL.

I love my MG Head DT -- but -- with all of this talk on OTL amps and the great reviews on the ZOTL I am thinking that I might need to try one out.

:)

Mark Monroe
Harrisburg NC

Nov 28, 2001 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 20
It keep all performance of MG-Head Except no 3.5mm Jack and high low impedance switch. (Keep low impedance but omitted high impedance).
OTL mode : deep bass , more open sound ....A austrilia reviewer just received it last week and give me a good comment.

It can drive Grado 32 Ohm Headphone in OTL mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back