Best Pink Floyd DSOM CD?
Jul 3, 2005 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
ok while I have the mid 80s capitol pressing on lp as well as a mint uk harvest lp I only have the standard capitol press of the cd.
There are numerous versions out there which is closest to the uk harvest lp or is there a better cd version.
After last nights show I am on a PF kick. BTW if you can find Roger Waters Amused to Death on 24 bit gold cd it worth every penny.

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 15
www.stevehoffman.tv
cool.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 15
Go to the forums and do a search there. If anyone reading this is ever looking for "the best version" of any piece of music, that's the place to find out.

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Aren't the MFSL Gold Discs supposed to be the best?

I don't know if that's the best, but that's what I have and it's outstanding...

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 15
The redbook on the SACD is clipping. You can hear this on the booming bass. Its also louder than the MFSL cd. Ill stick to the MFSL.

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
The redbook on the SACD is clipping. You can hear this on the booming bass. Its also louder than the MFSL cd.

Bleah, bad mastering strikes again. The MFSL sounds great, it really does...

cool.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobh
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=19939611

This review from highfidelity seems to think the 30th Aniversary disc sounds better than the Mobile Fidelity disc even as redbook. I can't speak to the accuracy never having heard the mobile fidelity disc. If you ever get a SACD player, you'll be happy you got this version though.

Not a chance.The bass on the MFSL version sounds quite a bit fuller and as mentioned above the 30th aniversary version has some clipping problems.

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobh
It's not directly related to the thread, but the SACD multichannel mix really is amazing.

So true! DSOTM is one of my favorite SACD multi-channel discs. Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" is the other can't miss in this catagory.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 15
From reviews I've read at AA comparing the various CD and vinyl pressings (including SACD), the best remastered CD pressing is the Toshiba EMI pressing that was released in Japan in Mini-LP format.

The other often nominated "best" pressing on CD is the "black label" Harvest pressing that was made in Japan for the UK market.

I have both. The Toshiba is pretty much flawless. The Harvest is more like an archival edition. It is like having a direct transfer of the master tape, with all of the flaws apparent, and the sound completely intact.

I like having the Harvest, but I'd rather listen to the Toshiba.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back