Best PC speakers!!What do you guys think?
Oct 30, 2002 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

AudioX

New Head-Fier
Wow, I can't believe it when I saw the price for these speakers. They are the Videologic Digitheatre DTS 5.1 Speakers. I have read many excellent reviews on these speakers and were told that they cost about $600 in the U.S. I did a search on yahoo and found that www.buypcdirect.com was selling these for only $309!!! That's an insane price for these speakers. Just look at all the reviews out there for them in yahoo.com search review . These are premium speakers for pc and home entertainment. I just ordered from them today, and they said that it has been shipped already from there warehouse, but I got to wait for the brackets for a few days because they're coming from the U.K. They have a great customer service, I emailed them about the speakers and they told me that they had in stock right now- if you have any questions talk to CSR- James- he handle all my question promply. I should be getting these speakers by the end of this week- i'll follow up on them. What do you think about them? Do you guys consider this the best pc speakers(non hi-fi bigspeakers of course sub $350) out there? If not, what do you guys think are the best sub$350 speakers?
Thanks

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 46
I believe I have the best 2.1 setup of speakers that are meant for computers. They are made by Diamond Audio, and no longer sold. Called the S2-4100 I believe. They sound way better than the muddy Klipsch systems I have heard, which are more expensive. They sold for $400 and I bought a pair of the leftover stock for an incredible $169. They are now sold out, but you might be able to find them for sale on eBay. They are extremely clear, but like most computer speakers, are lacking a bit in the midrange. I have Diamond Audio components in my car, and the sound is similar. The satellites have 4.5" woofers and I believe 3/4" tweeters. The sub, is 8" maybe DVC. Most computer speaker woofers are smaller than 4.5", so these are a bit better in the midrange than most. I would definitely look into them if you can find a set.

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 46
The Crossfires have a great rep; some consider them the best available stereo PC speakers. For surround movies from a DVD drive, the Digitheatre is excellent, but not for gaming as they lack 5.1 analog inputs, so the rears would not be useful for surround from UT/Quake and other games. For a full 5.1 system that does support gaming and movies, with good (for a PC speaker) sound quality, consider the Cambridge 510D.

Oct 31, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 46
Also agreed w/ the Crossfire.

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 46
I own a pair of Klipsch 4.1s and they are absolutely incredible!! The subwoofer, rated at about 160 watts, gets deep and stays fast. Bass never gets boomy or out of control. The typical Klipsch tweeters are dynamite also. After being a loyal Altec Lansing fan for many years these beat them hands down.

OBTW, I have never heard of the speakers you are getting, but, like most, would love to hear your thoughts on them once you get them in!!!

Lord Bless & Enjoy the Music,
doug p.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #12 of 46
I'll agree with antness that the Midiland S2-4100s were probably one of the best PC stereo speakers for music playback ever. Not only did it sound good, but it was one imposing piece of hardware as well, especially with that dual port subwoofer that was the size of a full sized computer tower. For gaming, you could probably get your kicks elsewhere.

Nonetheless, a typical audiophile bookshelf speaker <$500 could probably kick the booty out of any PC speaker system ever made...my current Tituses are a LOT better than the Midilands. Of course you also need like an additional $600 worth of partnering gear too like amps, speaker cables, interconnects...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I'll agree with antness that the Midiland S2-4100s were probably one of the best PC stereo speakers for music playback ever. Not only did it sound good, but it was one imposing piece of hardware as well, especially with that dual port subwoofer that was the size of a full sized computer tower. For gaming, you could probably get your kicks elsewhere.

Nonetheless, a typical audiophile bookshelf speaker <$500 could probably kick the booty out of any PC speaker system ever made...my current Tituses are a LOT better than the Midilands. Of course you also need like an additional $600 worth of partnering gear too like amps, speaker cables, interconnects...
rolleyes.gif

You haven't heard my Videologics yet. I wouldn't try to compare it with your triangles, but the Crossfire is a simple all in one system with stock cables no less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back