Best PC speakers!!What do you guys think?
Nov 4, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Jodiuh

P.S. Crappy soundcards don't sound so bad when that's all you know. LOL!

True, true... Thought that my klipsch sounded pretty good when I ran them off of my soundcard... untill, of course, I ran them off of a CDP inputing to the line-in... There was a ton of difference. The soundstage was much cleaner and better defined.

Nov 4, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #32 of 46
You don't have to use crappy made-for-pc speakers.

I use a JVC FS-D5 mini system connected to my sound card, and it sounds AWESOME for a computer setup.

Nov 5, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #33 of 46
Has anybody ever heard the Acoustic Energy Aego 2? Seems like something along the lines of what Midiland had going 3 years ago.

ae-aego-wht.jpg

Nov 5, 2002 at 11:13 AM Post #34 of 46
There was some discussion of this over on the 3dsoundsurge forums. Apparently the crossover is quite high, and thus the subwoofer is designed to be placed on the desktop (that's where the controls are located).

Sounds like it's behind the times.

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #36 of 46
I've got Monsoon 505s (the 5.1 surround model) and they are excellent. For a $149 speaker, they are an amazing value--clarity, accuracy, convincing imaging. My couple thousand $ speakers are better...but not dozens of times better.

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #37 of 46
I currently own the Midiland (Diamond Audio) S2-4100's, and I have to say they are incredible for PC speakers. The bass quality is amazing, and the higher the volume the better they sound. Better than most of today's 5.1 systems. I am thinking about selling them though, to upgrade to a hi/fi, and if you are interested {email me: zbomb99@yahoo.com } and I will give you the stats.

rev-midiland_4100.jpg

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:38 PM Post #38 of 46
Update the price of the dts dropped to only $275 and the digitheatre for only $175 and the Digitheatre LC for only $85. The sale ends on Nov 18. or while supplies last
buypcdirect.com That's the lowest price I think it'll go for, and I just got it for $309 two weeks ago.

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #39 of 46
You folks should try the Boston Acoustics BA7500s and 7800s... great digital 5.1 speakers. Stellar sound, openness, and clarity for ALL sound--music, movies, and games.

The 7500s seem to be electrostatic... you can see a broad shiny film behind a hexagonal structure behind the cloth cover. The subwoofer, a bass-reflex design, is also amazing: extremely powerful, VERY tight bass.

I've yet to try the 7800s, actually, but they're supposedly an updated version of the 7500s.

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #40 of 46
The old addage "garbage in garbage out" dictates that there is no real aural benefit going for esoteric computer speakers due to the limitations of sound cards.

I use Harmon Kardon HK 695 speakers with my sound card and they are fine for recreating the funny sounds that are generated by the card.. I certainly wouldn't consider spending more than say £100 on computer speakers though as I doubt they would only show up the bad quality of the sound card.

If you're listening to music best to invest in a dedicated seperates music system, preferably one that's made in the UK
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #41 of 46
Meant to add:

Why bother with crappy computer speakers? why not get some magnetically shielded Hi-Fi speakers and run them through an amp?

Half of these "computer speaker" manufacturers don't know a woofer from a tweeter let alone how to design a decent transducer.

Pinkie

Nov 15, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #42 of 46
PinkFloyd :

We all know that once you've heard how good things can be, you can't go back. But I also think it bears mentioning that for a lot of people (i.e. students such as myself), products such as computer speakers or the Creek OBH-11 amp are the best they can afford despite being comparatively crap to higher end components. You're welcome to buy what you want mate but no need to crap all over things that other people are happy with (or trying to be happy with).

Nov 15, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by poorimpulsectrl
PinkFloyd :

We all know that once you've heard how good things can be, you can't go back. But I also think it bears mentioning that for a lot of people (i.e. students such as myself), products such as computer speakers or the Creek OBH-11 amp are the best they can afford despite being comparatively crap to higher end components. You're welcome to buy what you want mate but no need to crap all over things that other people are happy with (or trying to be happy with).

Hi,

I "totally" agree with everything you just said there and I am sorry my comments upset you. It has always been a part of my nature to speak without thinking first. Apologies.

I'm not the "capitalist" who has got to have "the best" .. I criticise low end equipment and try to see how I can make it better for a few quid (bucks to you). Usually, a sprinkling of high quality capacitors can improve the sound beyond belief as can the addition of other components.

The people I hate are the manufacturers that cut cost to the bone as there really is no need to do so.... we have a "class" system in Hi-Fi which needn't exist.. why don't the manufacturers factor in the worldwide demand for quality sound and produce the best products they can and average the price out.

For example... Linn would only manufacture "one" amplifier with a price that was affordable to everybody. Creek would only manufacture "one" headphone amp that was top of its class and affordable to everyone. If all Manufacturers adopted this strategy it would narrow the search down.. we would still have "choice" but the choice wouldn't involve narrowing it down to the best, most affordable piece of equipment in "the range"

It would be a choice of "which manufacturer makes the best"

Whoops... too many beers

Time for my waterbed!

Pinkie

We got Mercedes we got Porsche, Ferrari and Rolls Royce............... yeh we got choice

Nov 15, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #45 of 46
The other thing is that often (in my case at least) there isn't a lot of space in a room to put full sized speakers or even bookshelfs. Now I could get the cubes from a certain company whose name begins with B and ends with ose. But, to be honest, I've heard computer speakers that sound better than those POS.

Besides that, computer speakers can offer suprisingly good quality for little money. Think about it, most decent computer speakers cost 150-300. For that you get two speakers, a subwoofer, and an amplifier. In other words what you get with computer speakers is a set of 100 dollar speakers and a 50 dollar amp. Personally, I think that my Klipsch 2.1s sound pretty decent when I think about them that way!

That's not to say, though, that if I got some extra money/ space I wouldn't trade them in in a second.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back