Best pair of In Ear Headphones for ~$90?
Dec 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TF2

Head-Fier
I am in the position to get headphones, what would be the best pair for around $90? Are they as good or better than the Audio Technica M50s? Also I listen to rock, metal, and techno.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 17
From going through the website I found the RE0, the RE2 with E5 amp, the Denon c551k, Denon C751, and the Monster Turbines. How do these sound and are any better sounding than the Audio Technica M50s?

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 17
Q1: What are your musical preferences?
Q2: Will you using an amp or anything?
Q3: Are you looking for an IEM equivalent to the M50?

If your looking for an IEM that is equivalent to the M50, I think the CKS70 would be the closest you can get for your money (and a darn good IEM for anything under $200 IMO). They have HUGE bass that is very nice to listen to and not just boomy. The mids are nice as well and the treble while slightly rolled off never get sibilant or fatiguing. They are also super comfortable and have an excellent sound stage (the best I have heard in an IEM so far). They can be bought from accessoryjack.com for less than $90US shipped.

Dec 14, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 17
I have owned the Monster Turbines and the CKS70 I just recommended slays them in almost every respect except analyital listening (the MTB's bass never intrudes on the rest of the sound spectrum making them good for analysis). The CKS70 on the other hand is a warmer sounding IEM as the bass does encroach a bit on the mids (I actually ike the warmth myself). Otherwise after 80hrs of listening/burnin the CKS70 is simply a better IEM.

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Direct's RE0 has got some raving reviews .

And for good reason, too. I'm listening to mine right now, and I'm always very pleased with the sound, no matter what genre I'm listening to.

Fleet Foxes on right now, by the way...
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 17
While the RE0 are getting rave reviews are they not supposed to be a more detail oriented IEM that is not that strong in the bass?

My recommendation of the CKS70 is based on the OP's reference sound being the M50 which is a bass heavy portable from what I have read. The CKS70 is a bass heavy IEM with a big soundstage, that is warm sounding and strong in the mids with a nice (slightly rolled off) treble.

Now if the OP is looking for balanced sound that has lots of clarity I think the RE0 will be right up his alley...

Dec 14, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far the klipcsh s4 has my vote for the best sond for the $ up to $200.00 out of eveything I tried from best buy, AT&T, and the apple store.

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the RE0 are getting rave reviews are they not supposed to be a more detail oriented IEM that is not that strong in the bass?

My recommendation of the CKS70 is based on the OP's reference sound being the M50 which is a bass heavy portable from what I have read. The CKS70 is a bass heavy IEM with a big soundstage, that is warm sounding and strong in the mids with a nice (slightly rolled off) treble.

Now if the OP is looking for balanced sound that has lots of clarity I think the RE0 will be right up his alley...

Yes I heard the RE0s and the treble was by far the best I have ever heard ! But it was like there was just no bass. It almost seemed that the sound went down to the lower midrange and just rolled off after that. Of course this was unamped but I doubt amping will have an overtly dramatic effect.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by djphatp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far the klipcsh s4 has my vote for the best sond for the $ up to $200.00 out of eveything I tried from best buy, AT&T, and the apple store.

+1

These are excellent phones for someone who likes a little kick in their music.

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 17
I can't say how either IEM sounds compared to the M50 as I do not own that particular headphone. But from what I have read they are supposed to have very heavy bass, a decent midrange, and slightly rolled off treble(?).

If that is correct the CKS70 will sound similar to them. If that is correct the S4 will not as it has a more neutral bass and alot more agressive and sparkly highs. The S4 also has about 1/2 the soundstage of the CKS70 and it's midrange is more analytical versus the warmer sound of the CKS70.

I originally bought the S4i but just couldn't listen to them after I got the CKS70 (soundstage is very important to me and so is bass apparently). So even though the S4i cost me more and had the handy Ipod controls built in, I sold them about a week after getting the CKS70.

Unless soundstage is not big for your music and treble reigns supreme I would say CKS70.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back