Best pads for ATH M50?
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

soundisee

100+ Head-Fier
I recently received my Audio Technica M50's and coming from a DT 770 pro 80 I think these sound great, but the only thing holding me back is how uncomfortable these headphones are. I tried attaching my DT 250 Velour pads but it noticeably worsened the sound quality. From what I've read from an old thread the SHR940 replacement pads work but I'm wondering how well? Are these pads comfortable and do they ruin the sound quality, how would it be compared to the beyer pads? http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC940-Replacement-Velour-Headphones/dp/B005OM06RG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Or would I be better off returning the m50's and ordering Sony MDR V6's and attach my velour pads on there?

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
I recently received my Audio Technica M50's and coming from a DT 770 pro 80 I think these sound great, but the only thing holding me back is how uncomfortable these headphones are. I tried attaching my DT 250 Velour pads but it noticeably worsened the sound quality. From what I've read from an old thread the SHR940 replacement pads work but I'm wondering how well? Are these pads comfortable and do they ruin the sound quality, how would it be compared to the beyer pads? http://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC940-Replacement-Velour-Headphones/dp/B005OM06RG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Or would I be better off returning the m50's and ordering Sony MDR V6's and attach my velour pads on there?

just curious but do you still have your DT770 pro 80? if so i would just keep those and return the m50s.  Not sure why you would want both.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 13
I have the ATH-M50S (same as ATH-M50 but with the straight cable) and was looking to improve upon the earpads.  I purchased the Shure SRH840 (part number HPAEC840) and SRH940 (part number HPAEC940) earpads after donig some research here.  I expected to like the velour pads better as I REALLY like the earpads on my Sennheiser HD650 and they look similar.  I didn't notice any change in sound quality with either new pair, but the SRH940 velour pads made my ears too warm to fully enjoy after ten or so minutes of listening.  I think the SRH840 replacement pads are more comfortable than the stock ATHM50 pads.  They are noticeably softer to the touch and feel like they have more padding.  They're not as comfortable as the HD650 though.  I can confirm that both sets of Shure pads fit the ATH-M50S just fine and are incredibly easy to put on/remove.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I have the ATH-M50S (same as ATH-M50 but with the straight cable) and was looking to improve upon the earpads.  I purchased the Shure SRH840 (part number HPAEC840) and SRH940 (part number HPAEC940) earpads after donig some research here.  I expected to like the velour pads better as I REALLY like the earpads on my Sennheiser HD650 and they look similar.  I didn't notice any change in sound quality with either new pair, but the SRH940 velour pads made my ears too warm to fully enjoy after ten or so minutes of listening.  I think the SRH840 replacement pads are more comfortable than the stock ATHM50 pads.  They are noticeably softer to the touch and feel like they have more padding.  They're not as comfortable as the HD650 though.  I can confirm that both sets of Shure pads fit the ATH-M50S just fine and are incredibly easy to put on/remove.

Thinking about picking up a pair of these myself. Thanks!

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 13
I had M50 and used extra 840 pads on M50 but sold M50 because I preferred 840 overall. But now I know 940 velour will fit my 840 so will get me a pair of those because pleather makes my ears sweat.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 13
OP, you need to use tape to cover up the holes in the DT250 pads. After that, you will get your bass back. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Auray/Pearstone deluxe velour pads work well on the M50. They're a bit smaller than the stock pads but the space for your ears is about the same. Definitely more comfortable and much less sweat-inducing. The M50 with these pads sounds clearer with less recessed mids than the stock pads, but bass quantity is noticably reduced. An EQ or at least a bass-boosting amp will fix that, though, and even when the bass is boosted, it remains tighter than with the stock pads. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 13
I bought the shure 840 pads as a replacement for the ath-m50's but found that they weren't as good a fit as the originals they were always falling off.
My solution was to get 2 thin (around 2mm dia) elasticated black hair bands and slot them into the groove all around the pads, the hair bands slot inside and hold the pads perfectly, just thought i'd share as I too thought of using glue but this is a less permanent solution. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back