Best overall audiophile headphones.
Jul 28, 2009 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

xHawky

Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm currently looking a very nice pair of headphones for the below uses and comfort range.

Price range? <$200

Comfort?
*Preferably no leather padding on ear cuffs, a nice soft and comfy cloth would be nice.
*Wearing glasses so I need comfort while wearing both.
(meaning no clamping/pressure)
*Lightweight
*Fits small heads

Used for?
How are they going to be used?
*Using these with CMSS-3D/EAX-3D to produce virtual 5.1 & 7.1 Surround sound.
*PC Only.
*I'm a gamer. FPS gamer (mainly), RPG gamer, RTS, etc.
*I listen to techno, trance, electro etc.
*My mother listens to classical dvds, Andrei Rieu, which mainly consists of violins.

Someone recommended me the below.
Beyerdynamic DTX 700 or 800.

If you can help with soundcard, please post at the below area.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/so...pgrade-436902/
Thanks!

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 40
you wont get audiophile headphones for 200 bucks^^. Ultrasone is the one best suited for electric, but thats sort of it as they're very bassy. And the only one that sounds good right from a PC would be the HFI 2200. I would dfinetly get a DAC / DAC/Amp combo if you only use your pc. You should state what sound signature you want and if you want closed/open, on ear, over ear etc.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 40
Gaming+electronic+classical requires an all-rounder : forget the 'audiophile' hoopla and get the MS-1s or the AD900s if you can get them for that money in your neck of the woods. Enjoy your music and leave others to battle over what is and isnt an 'audiophile-grade' product : when the editors of Stereophile still lust after the drive in the Playstation 1, you know its less about spending money than about getting *value* for money.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 40
Wise words from estreeter. The MS1 and the AD900 are two very good sugestions, both competent and enjoyable headphones with fairly different sound signatures. The AD900 might be the better bet for gaming and with the airy sound stage perhaps has the edge for the OP's mum's classical side. You could include the Senn HD555 or HD595 to your list and perhaps the Ultrasone HFI 580 and maybe even the beyer DT440.

All different flavours, but all will perform (relatively) well from your PC.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 40
when it comes to getting bang for buck theres a lot to be said for buying second hand if you can live with that. A lot of decent cans go up for sale due to upgradeitis so you can get something for $200 that originally cost a lot more.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 40
MS1-clamp at first but if you bend the headband they have almost no clamping force.
AD700 (or AD900 if you can stretch your budget a bit)-some with small heads have trouble with the fit.
DT440
DTX900

Overall your best choices would be the AD900 or MS-1.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 40
AD700 will sound great with electronica if you EQ the bass a little. They are great for gaming and their design should make them great for wearing glasses.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 40
So many suggestions. Lets exclude the MS-1's due to sound leakage.

Which of these headphones that you all nicely mentioned will fit me best for a small head & GLASSES? Comfort is the main thing, and yea an all rounder will do I suppose, Mainly only used my $20 headphones for 2yrs so I'll definitely notice a difference and praise it even if it isn't audiophile quality anyway.

Please no "They should provide comfort with glasses" I want a definite "yes".
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when it comes to getting bang for buck theres a lot to be said for buying second hand if you can live with that. A lot of decent cans go up for sale due to upgradeitis so you can get something for $200 that originally cost a lot more.

Any safe places that allow paypal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would dfinetly get a DAC / DAC/Amp combo if you only use your pc.

Well since this thread is in a section for headphones, head over to my sound card thread and recommend me a few PC amps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should state what sound signature you want and if you want closed/open, on ear, over ear etc.

I've used on ear for 2years, but everything I've seen for good quality is over ear besides the MS-1 which I don't want. So over the ear I guess it will be.

Open exposes too much sound but closed makes it sound more spacey and uneven, so anything that is good in quality should suit me.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 40
Closed cans tend to clamp more on the head, so finding one that is comfortable when wearing glasses could be an issue. I have no problem wearing my sun glasses with my AD700s, which are open, but it isn't really comfortable with my Q40s.

Someone said the Shure SRH840 don't clamp too much, so they could be an option if someone who has them could confirm.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 40
One of my favorite all-around headphones is the Sennheiser HD-600. You can find a used pair just around $200. You'll be had pressed to find anything better even if you spend hundreds more.

I have a medium-sized head (though not according to my ex-fiancée) and wear glasses. I always found the HD-600 comfortable.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my favorite all-around headphones is the Sennheiser HD-600. You can find a used pair just around $200. You'll be had pressed to find anything better even if you spend hundreds more.

I have a medium-sized head (though not according to my ex-fiancée) and wear glasses. I always found the HD-600 comfortable.

Nice! However, just one thing. I don't know where this forum is hosted or to which country it is directed to, however, they are $500 for me. I'm Australian.

Jul 29, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by xHawky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice! However, just one thing. I don't know where this forum is hosted or to which country it is directed to, however, they are $500 for me. I'm Australian.

There are plenty of Aussies if you snoop around. Place a W[ant]T[o]B[uy] ad in the Headphones For Sale section. I'd say that maybe an Audio Technica would be a better choice. The HD600 needs some juice to sound its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back