Best Over-Ear Headphone Under $3K
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ts2200

New Head-Fier
All, I recently purchased a pair of Sennhesier HD800Ss along with a Vioelectric V850 + V281. While I appreciate the headphones and their precision, I can't say that I necessarily enjoy them. I typically listen to pop music and indie electronic music, and find that the headphones fall a bit flat and are fatiguing. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations that are particularly well suited for pop / indie music in the sub $3,000 price range. I am not looking to change my amp / DAC, so headphones that pair well with the V850 + V281 would be ideal. I am currently considering the Empyrean Meze, as I find the design quite striking and have read mostly positive reviews, but am open to alternatives. I also have no aversion to buying headphones used if it means getting a better product. Thank you!

Jul 7, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 10
ZMF Verites open or closed as they are not far apart but do like my opens a bit more. I’m not a big fan of the Empyrean while a very good headphone they are just a bit too warm for me .

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 10
I have the 800s and I agree they are often not the most enjoyable to listen to. If you don't have a pair of HD 600s you might want to try some. They are sort of a magical pair of headphones that are great all-arounders. A pair of Audeze LCD-2C is also remarkable with no obvious weakness or sonic flaws. You can spend a lot more and still feel like it's a sidegrade from this combo.

If you want to spend a lot of money the choices increase and get more difficult.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Meze Empyrean.
These are by far the best at any price imo, and if you exclude more expensive options there really isnt much of a competition.

Ofc this is my opinion and there are others that prefer the likes of Hifiman Arya or LCD-X

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 10
Thank you for the recommendations! Also have a a pair of HD650s so might just trying using those for a bit. Will look into the ZMFs and Audeze headphones a bit more. Think I am currently leaning towards the Empyrean (not the most comfortable with beryllium drivers), but want to do some research and gather opinions before purchasing. Don’t want to buy another pair of headphones again for a long time after this.

Jul 8, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 10
ZMF Verites open or closed as they are not far apart but do like my opens a bit more. I’m not a big fan of the Empyrean while a very good headphone they are just a bit too warm for me .
Thank you for the recommendations! Also have a a pair of HD650s so might just trying using those for a bit. Will look into the ZMFs and Audeze headphones a bit more. Think I am currently leaning towards the Empyrean (not the most comfortable with beryllium drivers), but want to do some research and gather opinions before purchasing. Don’t want to buy another pair of headphones again for a long time after this.
The Empy is ultra comfortable....like on a ridiculous level of comfort. That being said,the ZMF Verite closed is the best headphone ive ever heard,open or closed.
Bounced several top contenders off of the VC,including the Stellia,Verite open(I own both Verites) and Empy. While those are very good sounding, the VC is on another level IMO.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 10
When you are looking to invest $3000 USD into a set of headphones, there is one thing to consider...
And its this...

IN the last few years, there is a situation regarding Summit Gear Cans that seems to be a bit of an obsession among builders and among reviewers.
Now this is my opinion... as im both a listener and a reviewer...
What ive noticed is a evolving and continuing trend toward the idea that "more detail and more resolution" = why you should pay more...

So, this begs the questions......> 1.) when is it too much? 2.) when is it to the point that headphones are not trying to reproduce music, they are trying to re-manufacture it, according to the idea that more detail and more resolution = better and best.?

Let me slide into an analogy for you.. comparing Headphone tech to these.....

Im a Photographer, and there was a time that you had to master photography to create top quality photos..
Well that time ended, once Photoshop software showed up..
So, also....there was a time when you had to have a good voice and be a good singer, but now that Auto-Tune has shown up, those days are gone.

So, what is my point?
My point is...... in all 3 cases, it can be that the software or the Gear, is now become its own skewed technical universe that is not being honest.
In other words, regarding the end result... its no longer about the original piece being represented with photographic or sonic accuracy, but its all about enhancing it using "latest tech" that is driving the market and obsessing the market.

YET, is this what should define the market and the tech?

What i've noticed is that, regarding headphones, .. if you want to pay the big money, then you have to deal with an end product that is just too analytical....too detail retrieving, and in fact, the tech is so sophisticated that its not really retrieving, its in fact imposing and recreating in a way that is not trying to be true to the original source.
Truth" in sound, being represented, is not the Summit-Phones ideal in '2021, in most cases.
So, it is true that sound as each of hear it, is "subjective", but its not subjective to realize that Headphone Tech, @summit-Fi, is not trying to be truthful, its trying to wow you with resolution and details, to the point that the original sound= is being abused.
Thats my opinion.

So, now, enter the MEZE Empyrean.
The M-E, is the antidote to and regarding the redefining of music by headphone tech.
Thats a fact.
The M-E, does not do "tech sound".....It does not offer what isn't in the music, as its way of trying to prove that its Summit Fi.
Instead it offers honesty as it musicality, as its FR...... more then any other ive heard.
Its not trying to impress you with how much detail it can recompose, or how much resolution it can reinvent.
I remember when i first received them, i was concerned they were going to be dull sounding or midrange bloated, as some had opined. ..
Well, that didnt happen, as that is not related to how they sound.
So, what some meant to say is that they are very smooth and refined "sounding", but that is not the same as " dull, mid-bloated, or too warm".
What they sound like is $3000 headphones that are not trying to sound phony (ultra hyped), regarding detail retrieval and resolution quality.
So, if you want an honest $3000USD sound signature, that is not hyped, not etched, and is not trying to use resolution and detail retrieval as some sort of high tech EQ'ing...then give them a listen.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks everyone for your help here. As an update, for headphones, I went with Sennheiser HD800S and Meze Empyreans. Also got a Vioelectric V850 + V281. Unfortunately, I haven't used any of my equipment in over a year. I ended up putting together a floor standing speaker system (Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 3 + Hegel H390), which I have used more in the last month than my headphones in last two years. Looking to sell all my equipment now, but need 15 posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back