Best over-ear headphone under 200$ for music & movies
Jan 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #16 of 24
Heya,

The HM5 is a great headphone. It has thick soft pads, isolates very well, has dual entry detachable cables, and the build quality in general is good, it's a durable tank of a headphone, very big and bulky. At first the clamp pressure of the headband can be pretty tight, but you can loosen it by stretching it over something over-night for a few nights and it will loosen up very nicely. The sound is a warmer neutral. It can perform plenty well with bassy music, but it doesn't make non-bassy music into bassy music, so it's capable but not over the top. The bass is tight and punchy with good extension. The mids are great, not too distant, not all up in your face either, vocals and instruments sound like they should and it's not an overly recessed range. The treble is not too bright, but it's not dull. Good detail. Overall a great headphone for it's cost.

The DT770 is a little more fun to me, it has a little more mid-bass, better sub-bass, great mids, and the treble is a little more exciting (it's brighter). It's also built well, and comfortable, but doesn't have a detachable cable.

If you want something a little more closer to neutral the HM5 would be the one to go with. It really is a steller headphone for it's cost as a total package. The DT770 would be the one to go for if you wanted a little more bassy warmth and some more sparkle in the treble.

Very best,

What about the DT 860 (185$) and DT 990 (260$) since they are on sale i don't mind paying the extra cash if they were best for me

Thanks man this is really helpful

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
What about the DT 860 (185$) and DT 990 (260$) since they are on sale i don't mind paying The extra cash if they were best for me

Thanks man this is really helpful

Heya,

The DT 860 is a clear headphone, but not really something I would use for movies, it just doesn't have that pounding ability in the bass that makes you love a movie. The DT990 is a good option, it has that bass for movies, great sound stage, the treble is bright so if you can tolerate it, it's worth while. I love the DT990 for movies. But again, only if you can tolerate the treble being bright. You can always equalize the treble down of course if it's too bright.

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 24
Heya,

The DT 860 is a clear headphone, but not really something I would use for movies, it just doesn't have that pounding ability in the bass that makes you love a movie. The DT990 is a good option, it has that bass for movies, great sound stage, the treble is bright so if you can tolerate it, it's worth while. I love the DT990 for movies. But again, only if you can tolerate the treble being bright. You can always equalize the treble down of course if it's too bright.

Very best,

So now i'm down to two headphones

HM5 (125$) VS DT990 (260$)

What would you pick if you were in my shoes ?

The cash is non an issue as long as the headphone is worth it

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:
So now i'm down to two headphones

HM5 (125$) VS DT990 (260$)

What would you pick if you were in my shoes ?

The cash is non an issue as long as the headphone is worth it

Heya,

The DT990 would be my pick for movies easily. I like more bass & treble though. It's more exciting and is great in movies. Also it's more comfortable and has a better sound stage. But they're open back and you stated you prefer closed-back. If that's the case, again, the DT770 32ohm would be ideal for your total needs.

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 24
Heya,

The DT990 would be my pick for movies easily. I like more bass & treble though. It's more exciting and is great in movies. Also it's more comfortable and has a better sound stage. But they're open back and you stated you prefer closed-back. If that's the case, again, the DT770 32ohm would be ideal for your total needs.

Very best,

The reason why i prefer the closed back is bcause the of the pasive noise canellation

But when i tried the 990 today i really liked it and even though i prefer the closed ones

I think that i'll buy the 990 32ohm if i don't need to use an amp with it. Do i need one ?

I can't thank you enough mate :)

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:
The reason why i prefer the closed back is bcause the of the pasive noise canellation

But when i tried the 990 today i really liked it and even though i prefer the closed ones

I think that i'll buy the 990 32ohm if i don't need to use an amp with it. Do i need one ?

I can't thank you enough mate
smily_headphones1.gif

Heya,

No amp is needed for the 32ohm.

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:
Quote:
Heya,

Very best,

I can't thank you enough mate
smily_headphones1.gif

No amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back