Best OTL amp / DAC USB / Grado RS combo?
Sep 1, 2009 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DynaMike

Head-Fier
Hi,

I´m puzzled concerning my home setup.

Problem is that I´d like to drive Grado RS-2s / GS1000s using an OTL amp (WooAudio WA2) plus LossLess media coming from my Mac.
I prefer USB as interconnect between the DAC & Mac - so which DAC would be a good match?

So - Open to any suggestions & price range would be up to 700 USD (has to be worth it).

Second opinion needed in this matter:
I got advised that a very warm & lush combo could be a NOS DAC (because of the the OTL & Grados). If I´d went that path I only see two options:

EBay Link to Valab NOS DAC & MoodLab DICE

So - any suggestions towards the NOS DACs ?

Cheers & thanks in advance for the help!

Micha
gs1000.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 5
I never heard this combination, but OTL amps generally are not good at delivering a lot of current. Grado headphones, being low impedance, need a lot of current. Usually not a very good combination. What made you choose this specific amp?

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi Kees,

as you know - RSA or a DIYed Millet / Bijou / M^3 was on my radar but as always in life you stumble over different options...
icon10.gif

Quiete a few guys around here use this rather "strange" combo - and when auditioned today (was just 40 mls away) it worked remarkably well...

Had enough power & control - stage was wide & overall a lush & warm sound. Goosebumps included.
tongue.gif

But now - what DAC to choose for an OTL connected to a computer?
popcorn.gif

Cheers

Micha

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Have you compared an OTL to a transformer-coupled tube amp? You might be surprised at the difference. Having a genuine damping factor considerably tightens the performance.

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi Eric,

there´s not many guys for around here who buy specific headphone amps (& even less with tubes) but I had a nice session with a RSA Raptor which remembered to be less "life staged" & more "sterile" with my RS-2s.

More bass? Yes - Tighter? Perhaps too but also colder.

Please don´t forget that I´m a real NOOB compared to you guys - my impressions when trying the WA2 suited my music
& listening style very well.

And it´s bought anyways - and it´s getting a little help with a atching DAC.
wink.gif

Eric - any opinions on the NOS DACs?
beerchug.gif

Cheers

Micha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back