Best Opening Sequence in Classical Music?
Jan 28, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
As I clicked this thread, this was the first piece that immediately came to mind. I was pleased to see that somebody else thought so too.

dshea

Same here. Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto comes instantly to mind..

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #17 of 41
Dvorak Symphony #9 3rd movement? Or 4th...

The one that jaws sounds like. Maybe not the best, but I love it every time it kicks in.

Shostakovich's Festive Overture is another good one.
I also second the vote for Pachebel's Cannon in D. Gotta love it.
And I just love Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man.
Speaking of Copland, I also like the "re-opening" Appalachian Spring. It starts off very haunting, then just busts out with a superb intro after the intro so to speak.

Apparently, I don't know the definition of the word best
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #18 of 41
The Lark is Ascending by Elgar is pretty good I think, provided a good rig to make that solo violin shine with a nice crisp highly tuned rasp. Tube amplifying of course.
biggrin.gif
Satie´s Gymnopedie´s all begin with some excellent impressionistic art too.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 41
beethoven - missa solemnis - gloria
the most powerful music beethoven wrote. it is a musical volcano eruption.

Jan 28, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 41
Rachmaninov's piano concertos start out strong and tend to carry the momentum. I love the opening sequence of Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini and Piano Concerto no. 1.

Another opening sequence that is sure to evoke some emotion is Richard Strauss - Also Sprach Zarathustra.

Jan 28, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #22 of 41
There are so many great opening moments. Thinking about Also sprach Zarathustra brought the Blue Danube Waltz to mind as well. Those notes are probably so well known that just hearing them makes everyone listen. Similarly, whenever I hear the opening notes of Chopins Polonaise in Aflat major, I know what's coming and I perk up.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
I love the Romantic beauty of Brahms's second Piano Concerto. The opening horn call answered by the piano arpeggios evoke an idyllic paradise.

I prefer the piano entrance in the 1st. Touche. :p However, it's much much harder to pull off, and you will likely be put off unless you hear a *truly* outstanding recording of it.

*Bach, Mass in b. Has a massive phenomenal opening. Even just the first chord alone.

*Beethoven, Ouverture "Coriolan." Scary.

*Prokofiev, Pno Concerto 3. Fun fun fun.

In addition to the Mahlers listed above:

*Mahler 8. VENNNNNNNNNI! VENNNNNNNNI CREA-TOR SPI-RITUS!!! This is the hugest hugest gigantickest opening ever.

*Mahler 6. It will storm you like a Nazi Blitzkrieg.

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #25 of 41
I'd nominate the opening of Schumann's Symphony No. 3, the "Rhenish." You know you''re on your way from the first bar. One of my favorite symphonies, and I recommend the Swallisch set on EMI's Great Recordings of the Century series.

BW

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #26 of 41
I could go with the Mahler 2nd, in particular. Also Sprach Zarathustra is really good also.

However, my vote might be Prokofiev's Scythian Suite (sp?).

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #27 of 41
Shostakovich, Symphony Nr. 8, Allegro non Tropo.
Vivaldi, The Four Seasons, Summer, third movement, presto

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #28 of 41
Die Moldau by Smetana. I have yet to find an intro more flowing or simple for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back