Best openback headphones for fps games
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Relic123

New Head-Fier
Hi there

Veterans have probably answered this question a thousand times, sorry for this! There are way too many threads on this topic, some too old. I want fresh opinions, even though the answers probably haven't changed much.

I'm the looking for the best pair of openback headphones, By know most people know that gaming headsets are pure snakeoil, so none of that.

Currently I'm rocking the sennheiser hd650 with the schiit valhalla. I do think myself, that it is a fantastic setup, compared to the crappy gaming headsets I was using before. Are there better options out there? Can I notice a difference in games with a new pair compared to the hd650? I also do listen to music, so headphones where the highs aren't too sharp, a little rounded off.

Budget is around 1000 dollars, so fire away. I don't have a lot of experience with amps/dacs, so feel free to recommend them as well.

Games: Csgo, COD, BF etc

Music: Any kind of rock really, spotify top 100, anime openings and also a little bit of classical.

NOTE: I mistakenly posted this in the wrong section, if a moderator would move it to the right section, that would be great.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 19
Add a Antlion mic to the 650s and you're GTG!

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 19
How do you like the 650 with gaming now? Maybe something with a wider sound stage. I know they are a little light on bass but i've heard people like the AKG K7XX for gaming.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 19
How do you like the 650 with gaming now? Maybe something with a wider sound stage. I know they are a little light on bass but i've heard people like the AKG K7XX for gaming.
I feel its a little lacking in the soundstage department, its a struggle to precisely pinpoint, where the enemy is. for music and movies its excellent.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 19
My go-to gaming headphones is the Fostex T50RP mark IIIs with the Shure pads.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 19
SHP9500 w/V-Moda Boom mic for me; bests K7XX, Q701, DT1990 for precise placement and fantastic with Atmos in OW. EQ'd via SB E5 for a little additional rumble and it's way better than their Scout mode. Can't count the amount of times I'be been able to get the leg up on approaching enemies. :)

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 19
I personally wouldn't recommend the SHP9500. The imaging and soundstage aren't very good for open backs.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 19
Im going to give an unpopular suggestion on headfi but f it.

Ultrasone. Pro 900 or Performance 880. You will get very strong bass with explosions and crisp treble for your FPS games. The s-logic really helps with imaging too. IMO a v shape sound signature works best for games and movies to add excitement to the sound. Plus they are closed, which is nice for gaming.

***edit: sorry, see you want an open back. I guess you can disregard this then.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Hi there

Veterans have probably answered this question a thousand times, sorry for this!

Yes, that's why I didn't read the whole thread. But nothing wrong with asking again.

Given the budget and the requirement, I hold my ground and recommend the usual: Get a mint used HD800 set. That will get you excellent airy holographic sound, good separation and positioning, a bright sharp sense of detail on the upper frequencies. If you get it cheap you can even use that budget to pick a source that emphasizes the low end and makes music fun. Very fun.

HD800. The chippy silver one. I doubt you'll get much better value for money and number of offers while looking at the mint-condition used market.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 19
Yes, that's why I didn't read the whole thread. But nothing wrong with asking again.

Given the budget and the requirement, I hold my ground and recommend the usual: Get a mint used HD800 set. That will get you excellent airy holographic sound, good separation and positioning, a bright sharp sense of detail on the upper frequencies. If you get it cheap you can even use that budget to pick a source that emphasizes the low end and makes music fun. Very fun.

HD800. The chippy silver one. I doubt you'll get much better value for money and number of offers while looking at the mint-condition used market.
Sorry again! I found a pair of 800s for around 650 dollars, but they are 3 years old, doesnt that seem a little too old, how do high end headphones like the 800s age?

Also Dac/amp recommendations? I'm running the original schiit valhalla atm.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 19
Thanks for the recommendations everyone, after Beowulf's advice on used pairs, I looked a bit around for used headphones. I found a brand new pair of 800s on ebay 620$ cheaper than what they cost new in my country. Any thoughts on this?

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #14 of 19
I've heard that some gamer's really like using Beyerdynamic DT990's. Might be a good cheaper alternative?

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 19
Sorry again! I found a pair of 800s for around 650 dollars, but they are 3 years old, doesnt that seem a little too old, how do high end headphones like the 800s age?

The age isn't as important as the way they were cared for. The pads should still be good, perhaps needing some dusting (often just using scotch tape will be enough).
The main problem with the 800 is perhaps cosmetic: The silver paint is pretty lame and flakes easily if they are banged against stuff. I've seen very few older 800 without a single mark, but some are in very good shape, almost no scratches.

Unless the seller was very careful with it, expect some scratches. Shouldn't be totally trashed, tho.
Drivers/Cable/Plug shouldn't have any problems unless they were handled by someone very sloppy.

Also Dac/amp recommendations? I'm running the original schiit valhalla atm.

I've been running them a lot with an iFi Black Label. The XBass+ works pretty well with some tracks. Adds quite a bit of body to the 800 without adding bass distortion. The Valhalla might work quite well, but I haven't heard that combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back