best open headphone for under $150
Nov 3, 2006 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jnev

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for the best open headphone for under $150... I mainly listen to metal and rock, and some classical guitar and jazz sometimes. they'll be used with my computer 99% of the time. probably no amp yet, I just want something that sounds good and doesn't annoy people around me. I was thinking something like the grado sr125 or something. what do you guys think?

thanks

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 26
will they work ok straight out of the sound card? remember I don't have an amp/dac or anything else and currently don't have any plans to get one any time soon...

thanks for the reply.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 26
They're Grado's meaning low impedance meaning they can be driven by anything and everything. Your sound card will do fine, but of course, improvement will be heard alongside an amp.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 26
Yep. Good out of the soundcard. Honestly, though, if I were you I'd get an AKG K501 or HD580 and a cheap amp (used PA2V2 or LDM+) for around the same price. But if you want JUST a headphone, Grados will do you just fine.

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 26
still say the SR225s...splurge the extra $40 for the add'l PA2v2 and you can thank me later...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 26
While the 580s aren't good for hard rock (unless you have a really expensive rig), they're amazing for classical guitar!! I've got a lot of recordings of LAGQ, John Williams (the guitarist, not the composer), Julian Bream, etc. I think the 580s were made for guitar!!!! Sounds good on a cheap amp. So while that won't be good for your main rig....save up for it for guitar music!!!!!!!!!!

AKG 501 IMHO is too laid back for classical guitar (soundstage is too big and muffled).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Yep. Good out of the soundcard. Honestly, though, if I were you I'd get an AKG K501 or HD580 and a cheap amp (used PA2V2 or LDM+) for around the same price. But if you want JUST a headphone, Grados will do you just fine.

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 26
MS1's. I loved them so much the first time I heard them, that I bought the MS2i's blind instead (yeah, I know, crooked logic). They're very much like SR225's, but with slightly less treble energy.

Nov 3, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 26
My taste is somewhat similar to yours and I have enjoyed the hell out of my MS-1 for the last year. I notice a difference when run through an amp, but recently-for the sake of space-have been running them un-amped with no complaints.

Nov 3, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 26
The 595s come in a close second to the 580s for the classical guitar....they're great all rounders. Not as gritty as the Grados for heavy though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangsta
Sennheiser 595s for the win

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
While the 580s aren't good for hard rock (unless you have a really expensive rig), they're amazing for classical guitar!! I've got a lot of recordings of LAGQ, John Williams (the guitarist, not the composer), Julian Bream, etc. I think the 580s were made for guitar!!!! Sounds good on a cheap amp. So while that won't be good for your main rig....save up for it for guitar music!!!!!!!!!!

AKG 501 IMHO is too laid back for classical guitar (soundstage is too big and muffled).

Glad to hear that HD580s are great for classical guitar. I'll be getting HD600s soon(close enough?
600smile.gif
)for general big classical stuff and organ music, and it'll be interesting to see how they do classical guitar next to my MS2i, which I am already happy with for all but a particular Segovia CD that the cans bring out all the nasty recorded artifacts besides the music. But it will certainly be nice to have a choice between two sets of phones for classical guitar.

My MS-1 also do classical guitar quite well, as well as jazz and of course rock, so I'll just add another plug for the venerable MS-1!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back