Best open headphone for rock.
Aug 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Palpatine

1000+ Head-Fier
Many threads on closed cans for rock, and many threads on how Grados are great for rock and metal, which is great.
I love my DT 770 250 ohm 2005 ed. for rock, but I would like an open set of cans for this genre. I have had my SR60i for a while and love them my iPod.
I love my HD600 for classical music. My choices so far for a open set of cans for rock are:
HD650 and SR225i.
Are there any others that compare or are even better? Am I omitting something obvious?
I'd rather have over the ear than on ear. Are the pads on the SR225i over the ear?

BTW...
Marantz CD5003 and LD MKIII

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 22
Bump.
I'll assume that the HD650 and the SR225i are the best choices for open rock/metal phones?

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump.
I'll assume that the HD650 and the SR225i are the best choices for open rock/metal phones?

I cannot say I agree.

The SR225 is good for rock for its price, the HD650 is not (in my opinion).

If you like DT770 '05s, the HD650 is going to feel reeeeeeeeeally lacking in the highs. I haven't heard open headphones that sounded similar, so I can't help you here.
frown.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 22
bowl pads come with the sr225, and they sit on your ear. If you have small enough ears they might go around them though, but your ears might be rubbing against the drivers.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HD650 is going to feel reeeeeeeeeally lacking in the highs.
frown.gif

Keep in mind this is one person's opinion. We had this discussion at our local meet and every agreed that the 650 was not as veiled and lacking in highs as people on head-fi make it out to be. It is not a bright can. That doesn't mean it's lacking...

Of course, a Grado fan might make that statement. Contrary, one could say that Grado highs are overbearing and will give you a headache after 20 minutes. It's up to personal taste.

Point is, the 650 isn't missing anything. It's just not everyone's cup of tea. Don't trust anyone's opinion but your own.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 22
I eventually tired of the Grado coloration. I loved the RS-1 for years, then found myself listening less and less often to them. I'll keep the HF-1 and HF-2 around for the rare occasions I still want the Grado sound, but I think I'm mostly burned out.

Instead, I had switched mostly to the Sennheiser HD-600 and the Beyerdynamic DT-880 for rock. Both gave a more neutral presentation while still being musical. Since I've sold them, I mostly listen to rock on the HD-800, which I love with the genre. Bass is tight, fast and well paced. Mids are terrific and the highs crisp.

I had a great time with Grados while the party lasted, but they don't do it for me any more.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 22
I owned both the SR-225i and HD-650 and enjoyed them both with rock. The 225 gives you wonderful sounds from electric guitars that the 650 can't match. Yes, it is colored, but the coloration is perfect for rock guitar. If you only listen to rock or metal then the Grado has a slight edge. But the 650 has better sound stage, detail, tonality, and bass extension. The Sennheiser is a much better headphone overall but it's twice as expensive, so if you are JUST listening to rock I would get the Grado and pocket the change.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 22
Thanks...I don't only listen to rock and metal, but I want to get a set of headphones just for these genres. I have several other phones for various purposes and genres.
Sounds like SR225i might be the way to go. I also use my DT 770 '05 for rock but wanted an open set that were better than my HD600 for this type of music. My HD600 are used primarily for classical.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 22
Since I do not own HD800, I do hard rock with HD650 for now. With right source and cable it not veiled, it has this dense and thick sound, details are there. I also have RS-1, and do not like it, maybe I don't have the right amp to power it. So I will hold on to the RS-1 untill my WA22 arrives. I gave my DT880 to my dad, because it do not have enough bass and sound just hair little cool for me. DT880 is very nice if you like soft female vocal and classical. AKG K271s with replacement cable even a $50 pair is quite fun for the price, can handle most stuff (for the price). I did not find this out untill one day I was cleaning the floor, the stock cable got sucked in the vaccum set it on smoke! Then you go figure......

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Thanks...I don't only listen to rock and metal, but I want to get a set of headphones just for these genres. I have several other phones for various purposes and genres.
Sounds like SR225i might be the way to go. I also use my DT 770 '05 for rock but wanted an open set that were better than my HD600 for this type of music. My HD600 are used primarily for classical.

If you already have a 600 i would say go for the grado. Buy used in the fs forum so you won't lose too much money if you don't like them.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

I don't care for Techno, Latino, and Rap. I listen to all other type music. RS-1, so far only do drums better than HD650 for me. I have few CDs just have all kind of drum on it nothing else.

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 22
HD600's are good all-rounders but that means they are easily surpassed by Grados for rock, that's for sure.

Don't underestimate proper amplification. Though Grados don't need it, they benefit just as much from it =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back