Best Open Backed Headphone Under 700:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

klepto

New Head-Fier
After reading a lot of material here and other places including you buying guides..

So far I am interested in:

Sennheiser HD660S
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
Audeze LCD2C

I would take into account any other suggestions also. I'm focused on less boring headphones that offer good bass and mids. I"ll be using these headphones on my Pioneer XDP 300R.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 5
I've heard the LCD-2C, it's an excellent choice. Not heard to others, so cannot compare.

Also having a similar sound: Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 5
I would take into account any other suggestions also. I'm focused on less boring headphones that offer good bass and mids
First, I would try to find dealers where you could hear all the phones on your list, with your Pioneer. That would solve a lot of trial & error. I do not have the luxury to do that and that is why I have ended up with about 6 pairs of mid level phones, with a couple that I do not care for. Out of those that I do have the Amiron Home is my favorite. It just has the right amount of everything to rise above the others I own.
1. Comfort, for me they must be comfortable if I am going to wear them for long periods of time. If they are big, clunky and a pain to wear I don't care how good they sound, I won't wear them for very long.
2.Mids, this is where the biggest % of music lives. If the midrange is bad, I don't care how good the bass and treble is, it's got to have decent midrange.
3. Bass and treble, has to have good bass with a fair amount of treble with not too much of either one. So in my own way I am saying it needs to be well balanced.
4. All the headphones on your list are rated very good. I have not heard all of them. However the Amiron has all the things I mention above. If you look at the frequency for these it will show it does have a treble peak. However it is not harsh or a problem at all for me. They are not boring at all, just a all around good phone. This is my recommendation, but again I would try to listen to all of them, if you can.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I'd get one of the Audeze LCD-2s for sure, haven't heard the C yet but I even liked the Fazor version so that says a lot. My favorite sub $700 open back headphone of all time is the HiFiMan HE-500 but good luck getting one now. Try to audition what you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back