Best OPEN BACK OVER EAR - Foward Mids - Bright Detailed Sharp Spacial Airy Open Full Sounding Comfy HPs ~ 500$
Mar 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #19 of 25
I don't think they'll do anything for me considering the cans I'm currently using lol

That's mean!!! :sweat_smile:

While I'm dreaming about the AD2000 you don't even consider listening to them...

Which cans are you using?

(I'd tell the joke: "the ugliest chicks are the ones who go further..." but it's lousy lousy lousy... so, I won't !)

I believed taht being that much specific on the title that there would be more help...

Maybe people around here just doesn't like bright cans? Maybe?

(They all must be under 45...)

One of the first one was spot ont! (ATHs!!!) — Really a unique sound signature across the models....

I was thinking about the MSR7s... never saw a direct comparisson between them and the AD900 anywhere in the web...

Would they be an "upgrade" from the AD900s? Not in terms of "balanced" but in terms of details and musicality (the latter being the real doubt as they seem sterile...?)

I'd rather a musical headphone than a "correct" one since I don't mix or produce... accuracy is not an issue...

Mar 6, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 25
Frequency response. Make a headphone brighter or darker etc

Another interesting headphone but recently oop is the Sony MDR MA900. I had one but was a little too warm for my tastes - eq could have fixed. Even more comfortable headphone than AT with their wing system... Were around $150 when last available new a couple years ago and thats about as cheap as youll find them used. They are desirable because theyre huge open drivers suspended in-air over ears but for not a lot of coin like AKG K1000, mysphere, or raal.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 25
That's mean!!! :sweat_smile:

While I'm dreaming about the AD2000 you don't even consider listening to them...

Which cans are you using?

(I'd tell the joke: "the ugliest chicks are the ones who go further..." but it's lousy lousy lousy... so, I won't !)

I believed taht being that much specific on the title that there would be more help...

Maybe people around here just doesn't like bright cans? Maybe?

(They all must be under 45...)

One of the first one was spot ont! (ATHs!!!) — Really a unique sound signature across the models....

I was thinking about the MSR7s... never saw a direct comparisson between them and the AD900 anywhere in the web...

Would they be an "upgrade" from the AD900s? Not in terms of "balanced" but in terms of details and musicality (the latter being the real doubt as they seem sterile...?)

I'd rather a musical headphone than a "correct" one since I don't mix or produce... accuracy is not an issue...
If i were you, i'd rather pick the R70x than the Msr7b.

Msr7b is a closed back headphone with little ear cups. A little bit to small, imo.
Soundwise, it's a high res fun headphone with very v-shaped signature, which belongs to the closed design in the main.

Never heard the R70x, so i can't make a good comparison between these headphones.
The question will be, how does the sound differs between AD900 and R70x, i think. :wink:

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 25
Frequency response. Make a headphone brighter or darker etc

Another interesting headphone but recently oop is the Sony MDR MA900. I had one but was a little too warm for my tastes - eq could have fixed. Even more comfortable headphone than AT with their wing system... Were around $150 when last available new a couple years ago and thats about as cheap as youll find them used. They are desirable because theyre huge open drivers suspended in-air over ears but for not a lot of coin like AKG K1000, mysphere, or raal.

Thanks!!!!

I'm not a huge fan of equalizing, even though some HPs responds well, but some sound "unnatural" as if they were "stubborn sounding like themselves" (specially upper mids and highs... sometimes they loose a bit of their "brightness"/sparkle, some even getting "more veiled" (I won't Say nameSenn)

The word "warm" gives me chills.....I may be (really!) allergic to "warm HPs" somehow... so the MA900 might not be my cup of tea... (they're 600usd around here....:scream::scream::scream::sob:)

I've heard about the SA5000 though.... but don't know much about them.....

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #25 of 25
If i were you, i'd rather pick the R70x than the Msr7b.

Msr7b is a closed back headphone with little ear cups. A little bit to small, imo.
Soundwise, it's a high res fun headphone with very v-shaped signature, which belongs to the closed design in the main.

Never heard the R70x, so i can't make a good comparison between these headphones.
The question will be, how does the sound differs between AD900 and R70x, i think. :wink:

Hi Chris! Thanks for helping!

Between the R70x (ATH's version of HD600) and the AD1000 I believe the AD1K would be closer to the AD900.

R70x seems really nice to work with (mix, production, monitoring and checking), but "tasteless"... "vanilla"... While the AD1000 even though differing a bit from the AD900 (it seems closer to the AD2000 than to the AD900) would seem better choice over the R70x...

I prefer a "musical" HP than a "correct" one. Musical is not the same as "fun" (U/V shaped...)... is euphonic. No need for accuracy for me. (Some may like "colors" to see things how they think they should be...)

I believe staying in house/at home (ATH) I may have more chances to get it right, since their particular sound signature is not easily found else where...

As my ears were "trained" to listen to upper mids and highs for 14 years, I'm a bit "picky-er" with them....as I probably listen to them differently (not "more" or "less".... but differently) from most people...

Thanks Chris!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back