Best OPEN BACK OVER EAR - Foward Mids - Bright Detailed Sharp Spacial Airy Open Full Sounding Comfy HPs ~ 500$
Mar 4, 2020 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

JAZZed

New Head-Fier
OBS: What others consider "piercing" I probaly won't, but I'm not deaf or insensible

As I've almost haven't seen anyone asking about sharp detailed bright mid foward cans and all the rest, it was hard to gather options around... (people seem to care about their hearing... — A little background: I was a Cymbals researcher for almost 14 years.... so... you get the idea... just consider me a "mids-highs head" and not "deaf"...

If you could be kind enough to help....

Title says almost it all...

Great Details, great separation, great soundstage,... (mostly Jazz, acoustic, movies and Heavy... It'll be my only can)

Nothing hollow, nasal.... ("full sounding" is the idea)

No Sennheisers

No Grados

Really thanks!

Mar 5, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 25
A used Beyer T1.1,though I wasnt overly impressed with the mids.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 25
I'd look onto some Audio Technica stuff for your likings.
I'm not very familar with them, demo'd a pair of AD2000x.
This is the right direction for you, i think. :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 25
I'd look onto some Audio Technica stuff for your likings.
I'm not very similar with them, demo'd a pair of AD2000x.
This is the right direction for you, i think. :)

That's the way I'm going....coming from an AD900 it seemed "natural".... bullseye!

I thought about the DT990s and the DT1990s as well.... would the DT990 be a propper upgrade or more of a sidegrade?

Would the DT990 be as far from the DT1990 to justify 5 times the price?

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 25
Don't know the 990s nor the 1990s.

What i know is, there aren't many headphones with the frequency response like AD900x or any other AD.
Very flat response from bottom to mids with slightly emphased highs.

If this is your prefered signature than have a look here:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-ad900.php

You can compare different headphones with equal measurements.
This can give a quick insight how they'll sound in comparison.

At least, only an audition will shed light in the dark. :)

I doubt that the beyers with its recessed mids will bring you the satisfaction you're heading for.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 25
It's said the T1 2nd are better... no?
I havent heard the T1.2. I have read they have more bass. Whether that detracts from the upper mids/highs,I dont know. That being said Ive yet to see a T1.2 in your price range.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 25
Don't know the 990s nor the 1990s.

What i know is, there aren't many headphones with the frequency response like AD900x or any other AD.
Very flat response from bottom to mids with slightly emphased highs.

If this is your prefered signature than have a look here:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-ad900.php

You can compare different headphones with equal measurements.
This can give a quick insight how they'll sound in comparison.

At least, only an audition will shed light in the dark. :)

I doubt that the beyers with its recessed mids will bring you the satisfaction you're heading for.

I couldn't be more grateful!

I'm aware the ATHs are quite peculiar in their sound signature...

I've been hunting other HPs with the measurements in hands to compare..... but thing is the paper tells just a small part of the storie.....

I wo'nt be able to audition the headphone... I'll have to buy blindly/unheard....

Won't get in details, but where I live I pay around 4 times the USA price at least.... so, hit and miss is almost suicide.... that's why so much research....

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 25
I havent heard the T1.2. I have read they have more bass. Whether that detracts from the upper mids/highs,I dont know. That being said Ive yet to see a T1.2 in your price range.

I'm aware about the price...... I haven't seen any as well... but first of all I must decide wich HP to buy, as mentioned above, here I pay at least 4 times the USA price.... so, making a mistake (even worse as I'm buying unheard) would be very bad....

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 25
I'm with you on the price tag.
Maybe we've to take a look at some "cheaper" alternatives.

Audio Technica ATH-R70x comes to mind, around 300€ to date.
What is your budget?

Could you tell me what it takes on your side?
Thank you.

Chris

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 25
I'm with you on the price tag.
Maybe we've to take a look at some "cheaper" alternatives.

Audio Technica ATH-R70x comes to mind, around 300€ to date.
What is your budget?

Could you tell me what it takes on your side?
Thank you.

Chris

I believe the R70X is more to the HD600 side... more like ATH trying to make their HD600....

Don't know if they would be an upgrade even from the AD1000.....

Budget is around 500usd..... I could save more if worths.... this will be my only HP for years from now.... it's worth investing...

"Could you tell me what it takes on your side?" — IF I got it correctly, it's why I'd pay so much?

Customs here taxes every imported item on 100%, PLUS 100% on shipping costs, PLUS 28% state taxes....... (They're robbing us.....)

Mar 5, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 25
I believe the R70X is more to the HD600 side... more like ATH trying to make their HD600....

Don't know if they would be an upgrade even from the AD1000.....

Budget is around 500usd..... I could save more if worths.... this will be my only HP for years from now.... it's worth investing...

"Could you tell me what it takes on your side?" — IF I got it correctly, it's why I'd pay so much?

Customs here taxes every imported item on 100%, PLUS 100% on shipping costs, PLUS 28% state taxes....... (They're robbing us.....)
Holy moly.
This is damn high.
So a AD2000x will hit nearly 2k???

What about contact a shop to import the headphone?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 25
Holy moly.
This is damn high.
So a AD2000x will hit nearly 2k???

What about contact a shop to import the headphone?

I'd have to trick the customs.... declare a lower value, use those "redirecting shipping" services and so on... everething to trick them... otherwise, If I get caught I'd probably loose all the money....

I din't know how this importing through a shop would work regarding the taxes... they usually have to declare everything correctly... and the AD2000 are not produced anymore, so....

I'd have to risk to be able to pay....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back