Best Open-Back Headphones Under $300
Dec 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 23
AKG Q701will fit your bill and if a bit yo lean sounding for you can be easily modded to have a bit more bass and added warmth and body.

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 23
I would say the HD600 will need an amp. It might be OK from you Mac book but the iPod will not drive them well enough the same for the Q701 but to a bit lesser degree. A small amp will suffice though so you don't have spend a lot.

Personally I am using an Audioengine D1 right now which give you a better sound source plus it has enough juice for both amps mentioned. But you can also just get a straight amp as well.

For a headphone that does not require an amp you could look at the Shure 1440 used or the AD900/X used, or go Fidelio L1 or L2 when released in the next month or so.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 23
I would say the HD600 will need an amp. It might be OK from you Mac book but the iPod will not drive them well enough the same for the Q701 but to a bit lesser degree. A small amp will suffice though so you don't have spend a lot.

Personally I am using an Audioengine D1 right now which give you a better sound source plus it has enough juice for both amps mentioned. But you can also just get a straight amp as well.

For a headphone that does not require an amp you could look at the Shure 1440 used or the AD900/X used, or go Fidelio L1 or L2 when released in the next month or so.

Thanks for the reply. I looked into the Fidelios per your recommendation and came across the X1 which are very tempting. Any idea how the X1 compares to the Shure 1440? They both are said to have a "fun" sound signature like the Grados which is what I'd like to really bring my music alive.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 23
I have not heard the X1 so can't comment on it. The 1440 has what I would call an aggressive signature. The bass is tight and not overly heavy (some might say it's bass light) with mids that are forward and treble that is equally forward and detailed. The aggressive upper range does make it fatiguing if you turn up the volume to get more bass impact.

I have a feeling the X1 might be the better headphone but have read it needs an amp to sound it's best.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 23
So let me make sure I understand your question:

1. sounds something like a Grado (Note: Grados don't have a "fun" sound. They generally are bass-light with several treble spikes.)
2. open
3. over ear
4. no amp needed

If so, you're really "What's an over ear Grado?"

Maybe there's a way to mod a Grado into an over ear; ask on the Grado mods thread.

You might be happy with Beyerdynamic DT880 32 ohm version, but it's about $350 new. It's very good, though not so aggressive as Grados. I'm not entirely happy with the recommendation, but you might like it, especially if you use an equalizer.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 23
The 1440 is actually a bit Grado like because if its upper mids and treble so it might fit the bill if he can find a used pair.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 23
  Beyerdynamic DT 990 32 Ohm.

Insofar as any open Beyer can be said to sound Grado-like, I think 880 will sound more Grado-like than 990 because 990's increase in bass and lower mids will lessen whatever Grado-like sound the treble spike provides.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #15 of 23

It's not really about needing more power as it's about having a better quality and sounding source to plug your headphones in, in other words the scalability factor of the headphone. The need for excessive amounts of power is one of the most overblown myths on head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back