Best open back headphone for ipod use.
Jan 26, 2010 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tiltman

100+ Head-Fier
This newbie needs help guys!!!! I am addicted to hi-fi now.
darthsmile.gif
I just purchased my edtion 8 for portable use. Now i am in the market for a nice open headphone that i can listen to at home on my macbook pro and ipod. i was kind of thinking Grado or AKG. Unfortunately my main audio source is an ipod and my macbook pro.
frown.gif
I know this is frowned upon in this forum. However i have to work with what i have. I am not home enough to justify anything else. I will be buying an amp also. Soundstage will be very important for me. I want a very clear and crisp sound with true bass. Let the suggestions begin!!! Thanks for the help.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiltman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This newbie needs help guys!!!! I am addicted to hi-fi now.
darthsmile.gif
I just purchased my edtion 8 for portable use. Now i am in the market for a nice open headphone that i can listen to at home on my macbook pro and ipod. i was kind of thinking Grado or AKG. Unfortunately my main audio source is an ipod and my macbook pro.
frown.gif
I know this is frowned upon in this forum. However i have to work with what i have. I am not home enough to justify anything else. I will be buying an amp also. Soundstage will be very important for me. I want a very clear and crisp sound with true bass. Let the suggestions begin!!! Thanks for the help.

1. get a portable dac/amp like a pico and it should serve you well with both ipod and macbook.
2. then get a grado rs1 for open headphone needs.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 23
LOL, you just bought an edition 8 and now you want another one? I would say the absolute best open headphone that works with an ipod is the Grado PS1000.

Seriously if you got a decent amount of money to spend, wait for CanJam this June. There you can listen to every kind of headphone and amp. That's a lot better than trying things blindly. I think an Edition 8 can satisfy you until then.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 23
Is there Grados with good soundstaging?

You seem to be rushing into this. I know this is an US based forum and we should encourage mindless spending but how about first getting to know the ED 8. I mean you haven´t even got them yet right? I use mine 99 % for home use.

You may very well find the need for something airy they are closed but wait until you know yourself? Is speakers out of the question at home? You can get really cheap speakers that are both more dynamic, neutral and by obvious reasons offering more air. I haven´t heard every single headphone but I doubt there is anyone that actually beat my 300$ XTZ 89 budget speaker plus sub in about anything.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and we should encourage mindless spending

I would think that the recession cleared that idea from our minds. Apparently not.

Quote:

This newbie needs help guys!!!! I am addicted to hi-fi now. <trim>I want a very clear and crisp sound with true bass. Let the suggestions begin!!! Thanks for the help.

You really should slow down - having too many new things at once will lead to not being able to appreciate any of them, and considering how much you're spending on new gear, this would be a terrible waste.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Now i am in the market for a nice open headphone that i can listen to at home on my macbook pro and ipod. i was kind of thinking Grado or AKG. I want a very clear and crisp sound with true bass.

Tiltman, if you want crisp, fun and energetic sound from an ipod, the Grado SR60 might fit you.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiltman, if you want crisp, fun and energetic sound from an ipod, the Grado SR60 might fit you.

Not to be rude against you or anything, but with the OP having a Edition 8, that would be a terrible downgrade.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be rude against you or anything, but with the OP having a Edition 8, that would be a terrible downgrade.

What is "OP"

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is "OP"?

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there Grados with good soundstaging?

Yes. GS1000, and likely the PS1000 (I haven't had a chance to listen to one yet so just making an assumption based on the performance of the GS1000).

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 23
I concur with Grado PS1000's.

I like open ended questions with no budget, it makes suggestions so much easier!

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 23
What about AKG-701s or Beyerdynamics 990. I heard these cans have the best soundstage for the ipod. Is this true? So many choices, not enough ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back