Best opamp for Xin Supermacro III and E-500
Oct 24, 2007 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Singapura

500+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I bought a Xin Supermacro III with three boxes of opamps. I expected great sound from this small amp but found the highs a bit lacking. The Xin still sounds great in the detail/smoothness department, especially with classical music.

The Shure E-500's already aren't big on treble but the Xin makes them sound veiled, especially with rock (Monster Magnet). Is there an opamp (combi) out there that would lift the veil or at least boost the highs a bit? I'm looking for a more airy sound.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 17
You also may want to post this question on the Xin forums. Some folks only read that and don't come here.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Singapura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yesterday I bought a Xin Supermacro III with three boxes of opamps. I expected great sound from this small amp but found the highs a bit lacking. The Xin still sounds great in the detail/smoothness department, especially with classical music.

The Shure E-500's already aren't big on treble but the Xin makes them sound veiled, especially with rock (Monster Magnet). Is there an opamp (combi) out there that would lift the veil or at least boost the highs a bit? I'm looking for a more airy sound.

I can suggest two that should work very well for you. The LT1028 and the AD743. Both sound very nice without a veil of any sort. I would try the 1028 first. I used them a lot in my Xin amps. You might also try the AD8397 with the buffer socket bypassed with jumpers. The instructions for doing this are posted on a sticky on the Xin support forum.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 17
OPA2227 and E500?! No, no, no. This will be as dark as night on the North Pole.
very_evil_smiley.gif
OPA8620 as the primary dual op-amp. It will bump the recessed highs of the E500's.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 17
Sorry for resurrecting old post,
But I just got my SMIII V6 from FS thread.
and wondering which opamps suit for Yuin PK-1 or Denon D2000?

I love how Meier Headsix sound, warm & rich,
is there opamps combination possible to achieve that similar sound signature?

Also, this abit out of topic question, but still related.
I found the SMIII switch is quite puzzling, and the manual does not really explain it detailed.

So from Left -> Right
- Power button (3 position up-on, middle-auto, down-off)
- Impedance (up-low down-high?)
- Gain? (up-on? down-off?)
- Bass Boost (up-on? down-off?)
- Crossfeed (up-??? down-???)

The most puzzling is crossfeed knob, I don't know which option give me the effect or not?, because I never experience X-Feed before.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So from Left -> Right
- Power button (3 position up-on, middle-auto, down-off)
- Impedance (up-low down-high?)
- Gain? (up-on? down-off?)
- Bass Boost (up-on? down-off?)
- Crossfeed (up-??? down-???)

The most puzzling is crossfeed knob, I don't know which option give me the effect or not?, because I never experience X-Feed before.

remember it like this, from left to right: I'ts A B C

I = Impedance
A = Amplification (Gain)
B = Bass
C = Crossfeed

edit: up position is always activated. eg. if the bass dip is up, its in bass boost mode. down is always off for all dips.
you are correct with the power switch

the impedance switch when activated (up) adds 75ohms of resistance. you wouldnt really want to use this unless you had ety er4p, then usin git makes it the S model, there are other uses, lessening noise floor etc etc

bass adds 10db 0db at normal.
amplification 11 at normal 21 at activated.

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 17
Thanks a heaps...!

So basically if I toggle the imp switch it add +75 ohm?

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remember it like this, from left to right: I'ts A B C

I = Impedance
A = Amplification (Gain)
B = Bass
C = Crossfeed

edit: up position is always activated. eg. if the bass dip is up, its in bass boost mode. down is always off for all dips.
you are correct with the power switch

the impedance switch when activated (up) adds 75ohms of resistance. you wouldnt really want to use this unless you had ety er4p, then usin git makes it the S model, there are other uses, lessening noise floor etc etc

bass adds 10db 0db at normal.
amplification 11 at normal 21 at activated.

Interestingly enough, the newer amps are BASIC--don't understand why the change, but that's OK. Still love the SM III V6 the best

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 17
Sorry guys, still heaps more question regarding opamp rolling for SMIII V6.

Today I do perform a surgery to this amp.
And I do notice this amp use AD8397 with bypassed buffer (using some copper coil or something). Since I found this amp sound pretty high, and sometimes cymbal sounds hurt my ears, and I guess time for a change.

First, I try to change the AD8397 into LCT6421HV (The Tube chip), as suggested by many people in D1 post, and I pull out the bypassed-buffer coils, and put OP275 x 2 with a hope to transform this amp into something more warmer.

But it's not working?
I do find this combination working for my D1, but it's not working for SMIII? strange. So pull out both OP275, and replace it back with coil to bypass the buffer. And it's working!

Currently I'm listening via LCT6421HV chip, and yeah my ears are getting used to it... but I still hoping more. So HiFilight suggest me to get AD797. So I do some research on it, but confused.

Do I need just replace the single chip AD8397 with single AD797?
or should I get 2 x AD797? does the chip dual or single?
and I came across ebay and found this.

PICT0257.jpg

2 x AD797 in dual to single dip adapter.
Do I need this adapter?

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #12 of 17
Bump! I really need help here!

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump! I really need help here!

2x 275s didn't work because they are a dual opamp. You only need one in the center buffer socket, not 2 opamps. Only single channel buffers are used in the 2 outside sockets.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 17
How about AD797 are they dual or single?
also what's the different between AN & ANZ?

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2x 275s didn't work because they are a dual opamp. You only need one in the center buffer socket, not 2 opamps. Only single channel buffers are used in the 2 outside sockets.

Ron,
You are the Earl of opamps. We do thank you for your expertize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back