Best on-ear headphones driven by iPod Touch (no amp, budget up to €200)
Jan 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

User20140710

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of hp's. Used the Senn's PMX100 for about 4 years, and counting. But the neckband's really irritating if wearing them too long.

1. I listen to:

hiphop/ r&b
dance / sometimes bass
alternative/ pop/ sometimes rock
good movie soundtracks

Closed/open?.. My PMX100's are open, and maybe I'll prefer closed this time.

2. IMPORTANT:

- it has to be portable, on-ear, no huge shells cuz I wear them all the time, if not listening I wear them around my neck

- comfortable, I'll wear them for about 3-4 hours a day

- has to be sturdy, in any weather condition

- good SQ without using amp, with some bass (but not overwhelming)

- cable thickness is a plus, also a 45/90 degrees connector (--> iPod Touch)

- design is a plus, I like to have some nice looking hp's with good SQ

- budget up to €200

3. What I've tried so far
- Beats Solo --> good sq, I like the bass, I like the size of the shells, cable thickness and comfyness..  but it's way overpriced and build quality is very poor.

- Sennheiser HD25-1 II  --> I've tested the HD25 -1 II in a shop, but I'm quite disappointed. The sound isn't that "loud" as many say. Also I'm not hearing anything different in sound compared with the PMX100's. Ah well, I don't have much experience at all but I do know the HD25's are not what I'm looking for. It sounds clear, but I miss some bass. For me it's not worth the €150.

4. Other possibilities but I'm not sure they will be what I'm looking for:
- Audio-Technica ATH-ES55
- V-Moda Crossfade M-80

Can anyone please help / give advice?

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the AiAiAi TMA-1 fits your description to a T. The newer versions come with ipod controls which is a big plus. Here's a roundup comparing to the HD25.

http://www.headfonia.com/aiaiai-tma-1/

I haven't heard the M-80's but they would appear to be a new favourite, as you have probably discovered.

Jan 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for replying! :).

Yeah, I was also thinking about the TMA-1 in my earlier thread (but no one responded so.. I made my list a little shorter :wink: ).

I've been thru a lot of reviews/forums some time ago. And I thought there were some weaknesses about the TMA-1. But I'll need to check out the reviews again to be sure of.

M-80's are amazing, build quality is top (as far as I've seen on youtube vids). But it's really hard to find a good pair of hp's to test it in a shop. Big disadvantage to me :frowning2:.

Quote:
I think the AiAiAi TMA-1 fits your description to a T. The newer versions come with ipod controls which is a big plus. Here's a roundup comparing to the HD25.

http://www.headfonia.com/aiaiai-tma-1/

I haven't heard the M-80's but they would appear to be a new favourite, as you have probably discovered.

Jan 22, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 6
Anyone else some suggestions except TMA-1 / M80?

I'd like to know what would be the best in price category till$260 (€200)?

And what would be the best with budget of $130 (€100) max?

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 6
I've been on a search for a while.  I would rank them like this:

1) at esw9a - rich and organic sound but wood so delicate and not really foldable/portable
2) m80 - clearest sound w/emphasis on bass but not comfortable and makes squeaky noises near the ear cups
3) p5 - memory foam makes my ear sweat, tight fit, somewhat muffled sound
4) akg k81dj - somewhat balanced sound w/emphasis on bass, very good noise isolation, extremely tight fit
5) senn px 200 - clear sound, nice bass, but ear cups are too small, very bad noise isolation
6) soul sl150 - good sound, thumping bass, excellent noise isolation
7) beats solo - muddy sound, best bass, best noise isolation
8) akg k450 - exaggerated mids, faint highs, big bass
9) ultrasone zino - cold distant sound, poor noise isolation
10) phiaton ms400 - even more distant sound, great noise isolation (almost over-ear), low bass
11) bose oe - average sound, good bass, overpriced
12) sony mdr710lp - uncomfortable, muddy, good bass

I will be receiving tma-1 soon but it seems quite big, not that great for commute.  Will order hd25sp soon and have high hopes for that.

The above ranking is based on sound quality.  However, for headphones on the go, I don't think that is as important as good noise isolation and keeping external noises away from you ears.  Given these factors, I feel the soul is the best for commuting follow by the beats if you're looking for only thumping bass.  Both of these headphones provide the best noise isolation out of this selection.

May 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey!

Thanks for replying :wink:.

I first bought the M-80's. I loved the sound quality, bass, looks, build quality.
But after 30mins I got serious headache from the clamp. I took it off and tried again a few hours later, it got even worse.
Also the inline-mic cable was irritating, it causes a scratchy sounding in the left ear cup whenever I walked around or bend my head
So I returned it.

Recently I bought myself a pair of AKG K450's. It was a really good offer (59 euros, or 72 dollars). And they are really really good.
Build quality can't be compared to the M-80's but they are better than my PMX 100's.
I also like the ear cups, they are softer then M-80 to me. Cable is a bit on the thin side, but hey.. nothing is perfect.
Only down side is that, if I bend too much forward it easily can fall off. So I need to watch out a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back