Best of the $50ish headphones?
Feb 3, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Know why replies like this suck? Because I'll search for a thread like this, only to have the thread tell me to go search again.

I found it funny the guy with 99 posts says to search.

Really need to know sources/music taste.

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 31
The Px-100s look good but the sound leakage worries me because i will be using these around other people at work.  Isolation is somewhat important but i definitely want closed.
I listen to mainly classic rock- pink floyd, springsteen, zepplin and newer alternative rock.  Very little rap/hip-hop so bass is not that important to me but i would still like sufficient bass.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
How does the JVC HA-S650 compare to the cheaper HA-S160 (JVC Flats)? They look very similar.

I guess you didn't read my reviews of these? :) The HAS650 has a warm sound signature similar to the Sennheiser PX100. The HAS160 is very neutral. The HAS650 has much more detail than the HAS160. The HAS650 reminds me very much of the PX100, except that the HAS650 is closed, so it has more bass impact. The HAS650 also isolates better than the HAS160 Flats. The HAS160 Flats has almost no isolation. The isolation on the HAS650 isn't great though. Of course the PX100II has no isolation since it is open.

I like the PX100, but prefer the sound on the JVC HAS650. Since the PX100II just went up in price and is now around $20 more than the HAS650, the HAS650 has even more of an advantage. The only real benefits to the PX100II over the HAS650 are the single sided cord, and folding headband. The HAS650 driver enclosures do rotate to the flat position though.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #20 of 31
Here's a few suggestions I have:

Koss PortaPro: Don't mind the nerdy looks and want some nerd cred?  These look ridiculous but the sound is incredible, they're very comfortable, super durable, extremely portable and GREAT for exercising/on the go.  Koss has a lifetime warranty.

Sennheiser HD428: These are really quite better than the 202/203 because these are over the ear, built very well, decently portable, have nice bass response and are fairly "fun".  But they aren't too efficient.  If you like loud music, I'd say stay away.  But these are still GREAT.

Grado SR60i: Good, but not portable, unless you like hearing what's around you walking on campus like I do.  Long cord also isn't nice for portable use, but these are more portable than people like think.

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
Here's a few suggestions I have:

Koss PortaPro: Don't mind the nerdy looks and want some nerd cred?  These look ridiculous but the sound is incredible, they're very comfortable, super durable, extremely portable and GREAT for exercising/on the go.  Koss has a lifetime warranty.

Sennheiser HD428: These are really quite better than the 202/203 because these are over the ear, built very well, decently portable, have nice bass response and are fairly "fun".  But they aren't too efficient.  If you like loud music, I'd say stay away.  But these are still GREAT.

Grado SR60i: Good, but not portable, unless you like hearing what's around you walking on campus like I do.  Long cord also isn't nice for portable use, but these are more portable than people like think.

looks like he's looking for a closed pair of headphones...

I'd add 15 bucks and go for Sony V6... there simply aren't many closed cans in this price segment.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #22 of 31
Hard to beat this one...

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S $32.96 on Amazon
 ​
If you prefer less bass and a more articulate upper register then the Samson sr850

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 31
thanks for all of the responses.  I'll either go with the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S  or the Sennheiser HD428.  

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 31
Thanks for your response! I was going through some older posts in another thread and someone said that an iPod would be fine without an amplifier. They won't kill the battery will they?

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #27 of 31
I found this thread rather useful myself.  I was wondering (I hate to threadjack) but mind if I pop a question about two different cans?

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #30 of 31
I would never use my SR-60i's for work or commuting.  They are the equivalent of strapping a pair of speakers to your head... facing outwards.  In other words they leak quite a bit. 

Otherwise I love em. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back