Best non-fatiguing IEM's under $400 (or less)
Feb 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nalth

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm been away from the forums for some time now so I'm not quite up to date with the current market. So I ask, could you please recommend me a pair of IEM's that fill these requirements:
  1. Non-fatiguing. I own a pair of K701's that I find to be very good, but, at the same time I'm unable to listen to them for any longer periods of time because I get fatigued. Sine I want to be able to use my new IEM's for longer periods AND for background music when I'm working, they cannot be fatiguing.
  2. They cannot be customs. I also own a pair of LW's, and I want to try something else this time.
  3. Sub $400. I suppose the UM3X are at the op of my price range.
  4. I'd love to have a good bass.

Thanks,
N

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #2 of 27
I would suggest the Sennheiser IE8. I also suffer from fatigue and found most of the BA IEM's just wore me out too quickly. I see you want bass and the IE8certainly has that, but some people find it a bit too much. I would also consider the Future Sonics Atrio, same bassy heavy presentation but to my ears even less fatiguing but not as good as the IE8 overall to me.

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by noxa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest the Sennheiser IE8. I also suffer from fatigue and found most of the BA IEM's just wore me out too quickly. I see you want bass and the IE8certainly has that, but some people find it a bit too much. I would also consider the Future Sonics Atrio, same bassy heavy presentation but to my ears even less fatiguing but not as good as the IE8 overall to me.

Do'nt know the Atrio's but I completely agree with the rest, IE8s are great!

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 27
I agree that the IE8 is a non-fatiguing listen with a bass heavy sound signature. Fortunately the bass doesn't get in the way of the mids and those lovely soft but detailed highs IMO.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 27
I don't think any of the top tier will be fatiguing, so you'd probably be fine with any of them, but if you're really sensitive, IE8. If not, look at the Westone 3/UM3X.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 27
The IE8's sound like a good alternative. However, am I completely mistaken to somehow associate this "relaxed signature" with poorer quality? I know that I asked for a non-fatiguing sound signature, but will it still be "good".
tongue.gif

(I anybody understands what I'm trying to say/ask)

Also, do the IE8, W3, UM3X all offer about equal isolation?
Other alternatives?

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 27
id say ie8, as for quility,it is has very good sound quality when paired with the right player or amp, i think it sounds awfull with my ipod classic unamped but execellent with the same ipod and my p3+ portable amp,
se530 would be a good second ,or even triple fi 10 if the fit is not a problem

Feb 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 27
Don't get the IE8 if you want isolation, you won't get any. If you do use tips that create a good seal, you'll get tons of mid-bass. Otherwise, they'll sound good but not offer isolation. The W3/UM3X are good for isolation, and I haven't read enough on the Shures to comment on them.

EDIT: I notice the ER-6i in your sig, do you find them fatiguing? If not, any of the top 5 will do. Westone 3 is said by some to be the top universal.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 27
Hm, how about if I want to listen to them unamped? Is the W3/UM3X still good?
No, I did not find the ER-6i's very fatiguing, the lack of proper bass is their main issue (price as side).

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 27
I'm personally very quickly fatigued by the amount of bass on bot the IE8 and W3 (and the latter's highs are sibilant to me as well
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Of the IEMs I own, the Earsonics SM2 are absolutely non-fatiguing, and from my limited experience with them, so do the UM3x (after all, they were designed with that purpose in mind).

If you're comfortable with big (VERY BIG) amounts of bass, you'll probably be fine with the IE8. However, the UM3x would be a safer bet for non-fatiguing listening sessions.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #15 of 27
E-Q7, ATH-CK100, JVC FX700 and Turbine Pro............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back