Best non-diy portable amp around $150
Jan 29, 2003 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

fncll

New Head-Fier
The HeadRoom total airhead is on sale for around $150... is this the best unit for portable listening (no DIY units, please) that I can get in this price range? My source are a couple of different Sony CD and CD/MP3 cd players, my headphones will be Ety 4S (and a variety of other full-size headphones, but the Etys are primary).

Jan 29, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 12
there is also the porta corda, just make a search to find some reviews.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
You might be able to squeeze of a meta42. PM JMT, tangent, or kurtw.

He said no DIY.

I'd recommed the Porta Corda II - although I haven't heard it, I really like the sound of the Corda HA-1. Supposedly, they sound similar.

Jan 29, 2003 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Best non-diy portable amp around $150

I have owned both Total Airhead and Porta Corda. I now own the Porta Corda II, with Plainview rechargable 9v, running in class 'A'.
The Porta sounds a lot better with my HD600's than the
Airhead. The sound is clearer, more detailed, smoother and more punchy/powerfull than the Airhead and the Porta's crossfeed circuit is more neutral, having less effect on the sound.
The clincher for me is that the Porta Corda looks better too. Oh yeah and Jan Meier is a great guy to deal with. He returns email very promptly unlike some other companies in this business!
As for Meta 42 amps built by fellow Headfi folks, I don't know if you would call this DIY since they build the amp for you. I have no personal experience of the Meta but you can do a search and find out other's opinions.

Jan 29, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 12
I think he meant he just doesnt want to build an amp himself. I dont think he meant he doesnt want an amp built by someone... cause thats gonna be hard to find since most all headamps are built by someone.

Id highly suggest looking at fixups (www.fixup.com) supermini amps. Theres lots of talk about his newest one. Goes for $100 bux. If not go for a meta...just get JMT or someoen to build you one. I would not reccomend the airhead.

Jan 30, 2003 at 9:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by joe dick
how much is the rega ear in real money? (USD). a buddy just got one and seems to like it.

There's a new U.S. importer for Rega; Cogent, and one of the many things they're doing is lowering the prices on much of the gear. The EAR is included in this - expect something like $195.
I believe new prices will take effect sometime in February.

Might be worth the extra savings time
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back