Best noise isolation for $900 - $1500 (no IEMs)
Mar 24, 2022 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

floeezy

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a pair of Shure KSE1200 earphones specifically for trips where I need really good noise isolation. I spent months getting a custom silicon sleeve to fit just right for my very peculiar ear canals. However, in the end, I've realized that IEMs / earphones are just not made for my ears.

I am therefore looking for great-sounding over-ear headphones that isolate very well for US$ 900 - 1500. It can be active or passive noise cancellation. It would also be very nice if they were more-or-less portable (i.e., at the very least, the cups fold flat).

Here are the headphones I am considering in increasing cost:

- Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ($900)
- Dan Clark Audio ÆON 2 Noire ($900)
- Mark Levinson No. 5909 ($1000)

I haven't seen anything in the $1000 to $1500 worth getting yet, but please suggest some if you think they would fit the bill.

Mar 25, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 6
If only noise isolation is your main concern, the ANC headphones by Sony, Bose and Apple are hard to beat.
Of the headphones I heard the sound quality without EQ ranged from poor to pretty decent. With EQ they can all be made to sound pretty decent to nice.

Mar 27, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 6
Mar 28, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 6
The Aeon Noire seem to be the best choice for an easily portable, high-end-ish headphone, with the one caveat that they need a proper source to drive them.
They are said to pair really well with the Mojo, and with the improved Mojo 2 I think you'd have a portable setup that's REALLY hard to beat.

Disclaimer: I know and own Chord DACs and find them excellent, but I haven't heard any DCA headphone yet, so my opinion about the Noire is based on other people's reviews

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 6
The Aeon Noire seem to be the best choice for an easily portable, high-end-ish headphone, with the one caveat that they need a proper source to drive them.
They are said to pair really well with the Mojo, and with the improved Mojo 2 I think you'd have a portable setup that's REALLY hard to beat.

Disclaimer: I know and own Chord DACs and find them excellent, but I haven't heard any DCA headphone yet, so my opinion about the Noire is based on other people's reviews
Thanks for the comment. How well do they isolate? Have people ever brought them on a plane?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back