Best Noise-Cancelling Headphones?
Sep 13, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the bass so powerful that it would overshadow the mids and highs? I was considering those cans before I bought my AD700's. The reason I chose the AT's over them was because I feared I would hear nothing but bass, giving me bad memories of my first Bose sets! (Glad I returned those piece of craps haha)
rs1smile.gif

I don't think it's that bad personally, but it depends on your source. The one thing that's kept me from owning a pair is that I haven't really felt up to spending the money on a headphone amp, etc. Either way, the AD700's are certainly not a headphone to feel bad about.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 31
I voted for the ATH-ANC7, which may not be quite fair, since they are the only ones I have heard.

Since I've got more money than brains (and not that much of either), decided recently to try these. Had never considered active noise cancelling headphones before. They've now become my main headphones for work.

Although they work without the noise cancelling feature turned on, you really need to activate this feature for the best sound. When you slip these on, it's like entering a quiet room. It's really quite amazing. The sound is excellent and the whole experience is very relaxing. I work in a very large office, with about 40 cubicles. The isolation is not total - as others have written. You can still hear some things - which is fine with me, since my co-workers have this annoying habit of talking to me and expecting an answer. However, the general background din disappears with these babies on. I find them incredibly comfortable as well. Considering the price of these vs the comparable Bose product, I highly recommend them.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it's that bad personally, but it depends on your source. The one thing that's kept me from owning a pair is that I haven't really felt up to spending the money on a headphone amp, etc. Either way, the AD700's are certainly not a headphone to feel bad about.

Oh, I definitely don't feel bad about my AD700s. In fact, I love my pair. They'
re light on bass, but my LDII++ with my new tubes fixed the bass-lacking problem.
lambda.gif
I was just wondering what the DT770's were like since my local Guitar Center were selling them for $300 a piece. I like bass in my music, but not too much to the point where that's all I would hear. I keep seeing people here making references to the DT770's (or other Beyers) when someone asks for bass heavy headphones, but never really talk much about the mids and highs and how well they're balanced with the bass.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #19 of 31
An IEM. Its a sad day when bose gets numerous votes in a poll which is not titled, 'Worst headphone'.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 31
Are people voting for the Bose just to piss us off?

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are people voting for the Bose just to piss us off?

More than likely people are voting for Bose because they have an end cap in Circuit City, Best Buy, and even Sam's Club, and even Paul Harvey advertised for them. I tell everyone I meet what Bose stands for, some listen, some don't.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More than likely people are voting for Bose because they have an end cap in Circuit City, Best Buy, and even Sam's Club, and even Paul Harvey advertised for them. I tell everyone I meet what Bose stands for, some listen, some don't.

Yeah, its advertisement.

I've lost count of the average Joes who write in their blogs how great their bose are. I bet they've not even heard of a headsphone manufacturer who aren't Sony.

Not caring about SQ is another factor. I bet 128kb/s bitrate songs are on 95% of iPods.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 31
Nice, not so many votes for the PXC 450's so far, any reason for this other than people haven't used them?

They are actually the ones I'm thinking of getting (because they're on sale at the moment, plus the fact that the ATH-ANC7 is selling for £121 here in the UK, equivalent to double the price in the States)

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #26 of 31
I'm not into IEMs either, but they do offer the best sound isolation, much better than what most noise canceling headphones offer. So if anyone wants to listen to music, and just that, music, IEM's are the way to go.

I'm not really into them just for the simple fact that they're just too small for me. I'm sure their SQ is really great (for the high end ones of course) and very comparable to full size cans, but I'd rather have cans over IEMs. It's just my preference, I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, not so many votes for the PXC 450's so far, any reason for this other than people haven't used them?

They are actually the ones I'm thinking of getting (because they're on sale at the moment, plus the fact that the ATH-ANC7 is selling for £121 here in the UK, equivalent to double the price in the States)

Some guy said he was pretty disappointed in their performance in this one topic, I think it was the ANC7 review. Not sure, but he said the ANC7 had better SQ than the 450's with noise canceling on. I haven't heard the Senns myself, though, so I can't say much about it.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

...plus the fact that the ATH-ANC7 is selling for £121 here in the UK, equivalent to double the price in the States)

Ouch! I got my ANC7's for $106, tax included! Hopefully they will come down in price across the pond!
basshead.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonolithTMA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch! I got my ANC7's for $106, tax included! Hopefully they will come down in price across the pond!
basshead.gif

I hope so too, considering that the PXC 450's are $360 here, and the ATH-ANC7's are $260!

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

I think the ANC7's have been out a few months longer than the Senn's and that's why more people have them (that and the price difference here in the US, looks like it's not as big a factor in the UK). SQ-wise I haven't seen too many comparisons but I did see a review that thought the ANC7's sounded a little better. The Senn's do have a monitor button that let's you use the NC mics to hear someone talking to you so you don't have to take them off.

The Bose get bashed a lot here for bad SQ. I haven't heard them so no comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back