Best noise cancelling headphones to use with laptop and ipod
Apr 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaplndave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Addict: In your March 13 review of four amps you made this statement:

So, I give the Predator a 10/10. I'll give the Pico a 9.7/10 for opening the soundstage a bit and crisp detail, but with a cooler more analytical sound. The D2 has moved up from a 9.0 to a 9.4/10 for the D2 now, while still missing some of the warmth of the Predator and the final bit of transparency of the Pico. I have to give the Lyrix a 8.8/10 now. To me anything above an 8/10 is great but might not be a keeper if I have more than one amp sitting above 9/10.

Is there a huge difference in price in these four amps? How about portability. I did look at the pics you posted, but am really unable to tell size differences. I know we have spoken about the Lyrix...and that the Lyrix is on sale now at Penguin...how do the others stack up in price. Sounds like any of them would be worthy amps as long as one was willing to patiently "burn" them in. Like I told you before, I am looking for something that I can take on an airplane (even though I don't travel as much as I did when I was in the military)...as all of our kids are on the other side of the country. But I am also interested in something that I can plug into my Dell laptop (Sound Blaster Audigy software upgrade to the built in sound chip)...as well as my ipod while at home.

I will be interested in hearing your take for me personally on these four amps. Also interested in hearing your take on interconnects. Blessings.

Basically, in the review there are the $500 ones, and the $200 ones.

The Predator is $475, the Pico is $499 - the D2 is $199 but all of the Viper (socketed opamp) versions are gone. The Lyrix Total Pro USB is $189 + $14 for AC charger (but you supply the NiMH battery). The D1 is $250 as is the 2MOVE, putting them in the "$200" camp.

The Lyrix and 2MOVE are about (guessing) 1/2" wider and 1/4" taller than the D2 but look much larger than the D2 despite the measurements, so when not used with a laptop the Lyrix and 2MOVE pair well with a full size ipod video or Touch. The D1 seems to add about those same dimensions over the Lyrix, as the Lyrix adds to the D2, so it is a little too big for portable (bigger footprint than iPod). Going smaller, the D2 longer size pairs well with a 2G nano, and the Predator/Pico pair with the shorter 3nd gen nano (size is much like a Tomahawk or HeadSix). However, the new version of the D2 (without opamp sockets) will be over 1/2" shorter than the current one, making it about the size of a Predator or Headsix (Pico is more like a Tomahawk in size, and the only thing smaller is the Xin SuperMicro).

Making up for the bigger size of the Lyrix is the bass boost and crossfeed, and ability to use a 9v alkaline that you can buy anywhere, and the ability to roll opamps, which the D2 will no longer offer. The Lyrix amp section is fantastic, so I never rolled opamps - but the DAC is holding it back, even though the DAC is about 25% better than headphone out of my Macbook.

With an iMod or a better DAC as source, the Lyrix is probably just as good as and similar to the stock D2 or Pico (skipping the built-in DAC in all of them). Without using the built-in DAC, I still have to rank the Predator, modded D2 and 2MOVE above the Pico, or stock D2 and Lyrix, but again this is only by a small margin of personal preference, not quality.

Someone else may like these amps in a different order, depending on the music they listen to, and the headphones they use. If I didn't have RS-1 and HFI-780 or Livewires IEM as my main cans, but instead had stock Denon D2000 or stock HD600 or SE530 IEM as my main cans, then then Pico might have been my #1 amp instead of Predator.

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #17 of 31
Hey Addict...WOW, didn't realize that those amps were so expensive. Of course, I suppose that "expensive" is a term that may not mean much for those who live, eat, breath and bleed hi def.

I have found a Caffeine Pro on ebay, but it still has like 7 days to go. Not sure if I will wait to see if I can win that one or go ahead and get the Lyrix Pro. Not sure how long it will be on sale...so I suppose I need to make a decision quick.

The last time I wrote I did ask about interconnects and you responded just about the amps you had reviewed in March. Can you shed any light on an interconnect that would be good quality, but not break the bank? Thanks. chaplndave

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #18 of 31
I have a couple of nice LOD (line out docks) from S2 audio (silver plated copper) and "barqy" (solid silver insulated with silk, both members here on Head-Fi, in the $50-55 range, which do well with my iPods.

They don't have as much bass as my $165 ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X, but that can break the bank. However, ALOAudio makes a nice LOD for $55 called the Bling Bling silver line out dock but I haven't tried it. I have an $85 ALO cryodock that is very good ($145 when customized with a charging port), but the Jumbo Cryo Silver X is on a whole new level of sound.

I also have a mini-mini (pure silver, silk insulated) made by barqy that does a great job if you don't use an iPod. It was in the $55 dollar range because I did silk insulated silver instead of teflon insulated which would be about $45. S2 audio could also make one like that I'm sure.

For something less expensive, I have a ZY line out dock from head-direct.com that I bought off eBay from someone for about $20-25 shipped, but I can't look up the new price because their site wont open for me right now. I am fairly sure it is around $30 new, but can't promise that's right. The only issue with that one is the cable is a bit long, however it is perfect for plugging into the MP3 jack in my wife's car.

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #20 of 31
Addict:

I have been looking at a Zu Pivot from Sub and something built by tjumper. Do you know anything about either one of these guys...quality of work, good to deal with, etc? Thanks again for all your help. I feel like I am getting to know you a bit...which is a great thing. Thanks for everything.

Apr 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Just wondering what the prevailing thought is out there as to the best noise-canceling headphones for my laptop and for my new 80GB ipod. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I would say er4p

Apr 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of nice LOD (line out docks) from S2 audio (silver plated copper) and "barqy" (solid silver insulated with silk, both members here on Head-Fi, in the $50-55 range, which do well with my iPods.

They don't have as much bass as my $165 ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X, but that can break the bank. However, ALOAudio makes a nice LOD for $55 called the Bling Bling silver line out dock but I haven't tried it. I have an $85 ALO cryodock that is very good ($145 when customized with a charging port), but the Jumbo Cryo Silver X is on a whole new level of sound.

I also have a mini-mini (pure silver, silk insulated) made by barqy that does a great job if you don't use an iPod. It was in the $55 dollar range because I did silk insulated silver instead of teflon insulated which would be about $45. S2 audio could also make one like that I'm sure.

For something less expensive, I have a ZY line out dock from head-direct.com that I bought off eBay from someone for about $20-25 shipped, but I can't look up the new price because their site wont open for me right now. I am fairly sure it is around $30 new, but can't promise that's right. The only issue with that one is the cable is a bit long, however it is perfect for plugging into the MP3 jack in my wife's car.

Addict: Can you explain in common everyday language the advantage of a LOD over just a simple 3.5mm mini to mini using the headphone jack. I am assuming that the LOD you speak of is one that has a standard iPod jack for the bottom of the iPod (the jack used to import and export music and charge the unit) and on the other end of the cable has a standard 3.5mm plug. Is that correct?

Thanks for your patience with me. I have so much to learn in this field. Thanks again. chaplndave

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the ATH-ANC7. They're priced right and are a lot better IMHO than Bose QCs.

Where would be the best place to pick up a pair of these Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 s? I have looked at Amazon. They are like $120 there with free shipping. Good price or should I continue looking?

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Addict: Can you explain in common everyday language the advantage of a LOD over just a simple 3.5mm mini to mini using the headphone jack. I am assuming that the LOD you speak of is one that has a standard iPod jack for the bottom of the iPod (the jack used to import and export music and charge the unit) and on the other end of the cable has a standard 3.5mm plug. Is that correct?

Thanks for your patience with me. I have so much to learn in this field. Thanks again. chaplndave

The sound quality of the iPod line out is almost always better than the headphone out. There are fewer inferior components in the way of the signal to screw it up. If all you are doing with an amp is providing more juice, like a "power booster", and don't care about a higher level of sound quality, then use the headphone out.
tongue.gif

Not all DAP (dig audio playa) have a bad headphone out. My iRiver H140 headphone out has very good sound quality, and can cleanly drive a headphone amplifier as well as it's separate line out can.

So, the LOD has the flat dock connector on one end, and a 3.5mm plug to connect to an amp. You get a line-level signal, like your home CD player's or DVD player's RCA out would give you, and it is cleaner and more dynamic and 3-dimensional sounding. Then you use the amp's volume control like you would your home integrated amp or receiver.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #26 of 31
My personal preference is for IEMs in general for the simple fact that they cancel noise passively while active canceling cans... don't
smily_headphones1.gif
That means something like a Bose QC works fine with harmonics but doesn't do a great job with transients- a person talking for example- while an IEM will cut everything out. Whether or not that's a good thing depends on what you're doing while you're listening- it might be good to hear your boss yelling at you
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound quality of the iPod line out is almost always better than the headphone out. There are fewer inferior components in the way of the signal to screw it up. If all you are doing with an amp is providing more juice, like a "power booster", and don't care about a higher level of sound quality, then use the headphone out.
tongue.gif

Not all DAP (dig audio playa) have a bad headphone out. My iRiver H140 headphone out has very good sound quality, and can cleanly drive a headphone amplifier as well as it's separate line out can.

So, the LOD has the flat dock connector on one end, and a 3.5mm plug to connect to an amp. You get a line-level signal, like your home CD player's or DVD player's RCA out would give you, and it is cleaner and more dynamic and 3-dimensional sounding. Then you use the amp's volume control like you would your home integrated amp or receiver.

Thanks for this explanation Addict...it was very helpful. Now, the question - if I am to look for a LOD cable, where should I look and what should I watch out for. I am assuming again that not all LOD cables are created equal. Should I look to the same people here on Head-Fi who you mentioned earlier in some posts who have a reputation for building quality cables?

Next question...what about with my laptop. I have a Dell XPS M1530 with all of my music on the hard drive. I spend a fair amount of time in a local coffee shop working on various projects. I am always listening to my music as I work. Will a standard 3.5mm mini to mini be adequate...again good quality, but not to break the bank? Also, will the Penguin Caffeine or the Lyrix Pro be a good way to go for me for both iPod and laptop?

Thanks for your patience and for answering my questions. I really do appreciate it.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #28 of 31
I'd second the vote for Senn PXC450, as I enjoy them a lot, but won't because they're frankly overpriced. (I got em as a gift; no way I would've spent my own $). I've tried the Audio Technica & Bose NC cans, too, but the Senn NC cans are much better. I usually keep the NC off, though, and running passive, they sound remarkably close to HD650 in characteristics. If blocking the noise out is your primary concern, though, you should really go IEM. Even w/ NC, these bigger cans can't really close all sound out like the IEMs can, but I kind of find the level of noise-blocking w/ IEMs eerie.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

1) Should I look to the same people here on Head-Fi who you mentioned earlier in some posts who have a reputation for building quality cables?

Okay, I'll answer here but we have to get back on topic after this. Yes, ALO, S2 Audio, barqy and HIGHFLYIN9 have all made good cables that I own.

2) Next question...what about with my laptop. I have a Dell XPS M1530 with all of my music on the hard drive. I spend a fair amount of time in a local coffee shop working on various projects. I am always listening to my music as I work. Will a standard 3.5mm mini to mini be adequate...again good quality, but not to break the bank? Also, will the Penguin Caffeine or the Lyrix Pro be a good way to go for me for both iPod and laptop?

Those amps would be fine, but I worry about the sound quality of the laptop headphone out. You can add a decent Headstage USB DAC to any portable amp for $40, and even with a Macbook it is at least a 25% or more improvement over headphone out. I just posted some findings with the Behringer UCA202 and Creative Xmod in the Livewires thread, and as USB to analog converters the Headstage is still the best of the "cheap" ones. However, the Headstage must plug into an amp, while the other two can also power headphones. The Lyrix Pro off the PenguinAmp website is $89, and he can sell you a DAC cable there too, so $129 + shipping still beats the other USB Amps that start at $190 to $500.

Thanks for your patience and for answering my questions. I really do appreciate it.

Okay, I'll answer here but we have to get back on topic after this.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #30 of 31
noice cancelling regardless of SQ?? HD280
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back