Best noise cancelling headphones to use with laptop and ipod
Apr 10, 2008 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

chaplndave

Head-Fier
Just wondering what the prevailing thought is out there as to the best noise-canceling headphones for my laptop and for my new 80GB ipod. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the ATH-ANC7. They're priced right and are a lot better IMHO than Bose QCs.

I'd also recommend these. Don't own them myself but a friend of mine does.

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 31
if your considering IEM's i highly recommend the Shure se530's. So very much noise cancellation
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the ATH-ANC7. They're priced right and are a lot better IMHO than Bose QCs.

x2

I sold my QC2 and bought the ATH-ANC7, and even without burn-in like them better. I only have about 48 hours on them and they do sound like closed cans still, so I'll get around to putting another 100 hours on them eventually.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 31
X3 on the ANC7.

Excellent sound for a closed can, and not exorbitantly overpriced compared to the competition.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 31
Thanks for your quick responses. I was prepared to buy some Bose QC2s for considerably more than the Audio Technicas. Are there any reviews online that are particularly good on these cans?

Also, was wondering what you guys are thinking regarding a small portable amp. I have been looking at a cMoy with bass boost (v. 2.00) on ebay. Anyone know anything about these. Built by a guy, electrical engineering undergraduate student who goes by "three3three3" on ebay. He has 100% feedback and seems to be a very quick shipper. Any input??? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wired00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your considering IEM's i highly recommend the Shure se530's. So very much noise cancellation
smily_headphones1.gif

***The Shure's are a bit expensive for me right now, but thanks for the great tip. I am sure they are fabulous. I may try out the Audio Technicas though. Thanks again.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaplndave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your quick responses. I was prepared to buy some Bose QC2s for considerably more than the Audio Technicas. Are there any reviews online that are particularly good on these cans?

Also, was wondering what you guys are thinking regarding a small portable amp. I have been looking at a cMoy with bass boost (v. 2.00) on ebay. Anyone know anything about these. Built by a guy, electrical engineering undergraduate student who goes by "three3three3" on ebay. He has 100% feedback and seems to be a very quick shipper. Any input??? Thanks.

Here is a review I did on it, before he added the volume control so it had to be used from a headphone jack instead of a line out. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/two...s-here-256410/

The review included the more expensive PenguinAmp Royal, and later I got the less expensive PenguinAmp Caffeine which was also very impressive. I ended up giving my nephew the cMpy bass boost for free, when his dad (bro-in-law) bought the PenguinAmp Royal from me for $60, and I kept the Penguin Caffeine Pro which I still have and use at times. I also revoewed it in the link below.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-lyrix-262751/

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a review I did on it, before he added the volume control so it had to be used from a headphone jack instead of a line out. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/two...s-here-256410/

The review included the more expensive PenguinAmp Royal, and later I got the less expensive PenguinAmp Caffeine which was also very impressive. I ended up giving my nephew the cMpy bass boost for free, when his dad (bro-in-law) bought the PenguinAmp Royal from me for $60, and I kept the Penguin Caffeine Pro which I still have and use at times. I also revoewed it in the link below.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-lyrix-262751/

So...for a relatively new guy to this stuff you think the one in the Penguin case is OK or should I spring for something with what you call a "real case"? I am not as much of a purist as many, but I know what I like. I usually listen to smooth jazz and new age stuff like Windham Hill. You think these (from ebay) will do the trick for me? I am looking at the Audio Technica noise-cancelling headphones as well (mostly for travel). I also have some Sennheisers at home.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaplndave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...for a relatively new guy to this stuff you think the one in the Penguin case is OK or should I spring for something with what you call a "real case"? I am not as much of a purist as many, but I know what I like. I usually listen to smooth jazz and new age stuff like Windham Hill. You think these (from ebay) will do the trick for me? I am looking at the Audio Technica noise-cancelling headphones as well (mostly for travel). I also have some Sennheisers at home.

It depends on your budget, whether to get a "real case". The real case is more durable, but slightly thicker than the mint tin. It also adds crossfeed, and a switch to turn off the 9v batery charging circuit.

The PenguinAmp.com website is currently offering a discount on the Lyrix Pro while the caffeine is sold out, for $89, and that is a good deal. The Caffeine Pro is basically the same as the Lyrix Pro, and sounds almost identical to my Meier HeadSix, and you can get a new one of those for $185 if you want
tongue.gif

Read my review of the Caffeine Pro, and you will see why it is my #1 choice for a budget amp. To be able to get the same sound in a real case for $89 (for a limited time) makes me want to go and buy another one
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on your budget, whether to get a "real case". The real case is more durable, but slightly thicker than the mint tin. It also adds crossfeed, and a switch to turn off the 9v batery charging circuit.

The PenguinAmp.com website is currently offering a discount on the Lyrix Pro while the caffeine is sold out, for $89, and that is a good deal. The Caffeine Pro is basically the same as the Lyrix Pro, and sounds almost identical to my Meier HeadSix, and you can get a new one of those for $185 if you want
tongue.gif

Read my review of the Caffeine Pro, and you will see why it is my #1 choice for a budget amp. To be able to get the same sound in a real case for $89 (for a limited time) makes me want to go and buy another one
biggrin.gif

Addict: Thanks for all the great info. You have been most kind and very informative. I may indeed go for the Lyrix as my first portable headphone amp. One more question on interconnect cables...can you suggest a moderately priced one and a source? I know that some of the cables can get to be pretty pricey, and while I do want good quality, I don't listen to my ipod or my iTunes on my laptop often enough to merit a cable that is going to cost me a lot of money. ...and why do they so often make them so short. I would think that by the time you bend them over to fit both your amp and ipod that it would be bad for the cable. Any info would be much appreciated and...thanks again for your patience from someone who would like to know more about good sound. Blessings....

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 31
Addict: In your March 13 review of four amps you made this statement:

So, I give the Predator a 10/10. I'll give the Pico a 9.7/10 for opening the soundstage a bit and crisp detail, but with a cooler more analytical sound. The D2 has moved up from a 9.0 to a 9.4/10 for the D2 now, while still missing some of the warmth of the Predator and the final bit of transparency of the Pico. I have to give the Lyrix a 8.8/10 now. To me anything above an 8/10 is great but might not be a keeper if I have more than one amp sitting above 9/10.

Is there a huge difference in price in these four amps? How about portability. I did look at the pics you posted, but am really unable to tell size differences. I know we have spoken about the Lyrix...and that the Lyrix is on sale now at Penguin...how do the others stack up in price. Sounds like any of them would be worthy amps as long as one was willing to patiently "burn" them in. Like I told you before, I am looking for something that I can take on an airplane (even though I don't travel as much as I did when I was in the military)...as all of our kids are on the other side of the country. But I am also interested in something that I can plug into my Dell laptop (Sound Blaster Audigy software upgrade to the built in sound chip)...as well as my ipod while at home.

I will be interested in hearing your take for me personally on these four amps. Also interested in hearing your take on interconnects. Blessings.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 31
x4 to the ATH-ANC7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back