best new sub bass iem ie8, atrio, others
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

reminence

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some new iem's specifically for high quantity and quality frequencies below 70hz but also want decent mids and highs
I am a bit of a base head but i dont like the 100-400hz punch where you feel like you have been kicked in the chest(club experience).

I am an electronic producer and pretty much only listen to dance music.

My budget is quite large and i simply want the best.

I currently own the superfi 5 EB(which i like the best) and the klipsch X10
The EB's have a lot of base but not to much of the sub base i currently eq my portabl device to max out on 30-60hz and then min on 100-400hz to achieve a reasonable good sound to my taste.
The X10 highs are great and the mids are detailed to me but somewhat recessed and the bass quality is good but that's where it all stops. the iem's cant handle much volume or bass because they start crackling and farting.

I have been reading the forums and I have found two contenders. The Atrios m series and the sennheiser IE8 but i am open to more suggestions.

I would go for the IE8's because i hear their much better for mid and high but that sub frequency is too important.

What do you think?

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 56
I don't think you can go wrong with the IE8's. They're about even with the Atrios (v2) on bass, but do everything else much better. Perhaps with the exception of isolation- that's about the only negative I can come up with on them. That's not to say their isolation is horrible, it's not, it's just not quite as good as some of the other high end earphones. I don't know how much isolation you need though.

For bass quality though, they're very good. They reach really low, and have healthy punch. And as you mentioned needing something that doesn't lose control when being pushed, the IE8's do that wonderfully too. My ears give long before the driver ever does. No crackling, flabby wooliness at all.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 56
The IE8s have a bass knob so you can tune it to your liking. They have noticeably deeper bass with more impact than any other IEM I have heard (haven't heard the Atrio).

And an FYI, the IE8s do start with a huge (to my ears) mid bass hump that goes away after burn in.

And the IE8s can play as loud as I can handle without any noticeable distortion.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 56
ill have to plug for the turbine. i owned the atrio and loved them but i feel that the brighter and easier to drive monster turbines are better for sub bass. however, the atrio may extend lower: i really am not sure as i don't have the equipment to check but that is a feeling i have.

if you have the money and want to go to the top, the ie8 or futuresonics customs are the best way to go. i don't know whose driver is better or more high tech but the futuresonics custom has been around for a long time so maybe the new sennheiser is better: but i am unsure!

however, turbine uses a new light driver that is very very active and not dark. really, i was not expecting such amazing quality from a company whom headfi revile.

monster turbine review

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 56
Great comments guys
Anyone else think that the turbine may be a contender?

I have heard that the IE8 has an air hole and hence the bad isolation.
Is it possible to cover the air hole up?
Or any other mods?

I did this back in the day with some sony's and the bass increased 3 times and the quality didn't really go down,

Seams like the EI8 is looking better to me.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by reminence /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great comments guys
Anyone else think that the turbine may be a contender?

I have heard that the IE8 has an air hole and hence the bad isolation.
Is it possible to cover the air hole up?
Or any other mods?

I did this back in the day with some sony's and the bass increased 3 times and the quality didn't really go down,

Seams like the EI8 is looking better to me.

If I remember the comment correctly, it was referring to the bass tuning dial, and how it creates an opening in the casing by its very nature (it's not a gaping, open hole or vent by any means- it has the tuning dial that fills it). I guess it allows a bit more ambient noise in. But the isolation is not terrible.

Shigzeo-
Can you believe times have arrived when the Atrios are equaled or exceeded in the bass department? Craziness.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 56
so from what i have read, the turbines, atrio and ie8 have about the same sub bass yes?

if so how is the mid-high bass, because i don't particularly want a lot of that,
are any like the sf5 EB?

As for the tiny air hole on the IE8, can someone answer how it sounds when covered up?
bluetak could do that temporarily.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 56
Quote:

can anyone compare the speed of the bass in these IEM's
I have heard the atrio is bad in the speed department

I would say the speed on the IE8's are very very good.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 56
Quote:

so is the air hole more open on max bass or more closed?

It doesn't change at all. The dial completely fills the hole. It's a tight fit, and there's no visible hole at all so to speak. Hope that helps!

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #14 of 56
Either IE8 or Westone 3 will probably give the best bass for dance music while maintaining great mids and highs. IE8 will give you a bigger sound, somewhat more prominent mids and slightly recessed upper treble and they also have the potential to pump out crazy bass volumes, thanks to the bass knob, although personally I find the minimum setting plenty punchy enough for my tastes. Westone3, on the other hand, will give you a livelier sound with more prominent dynamics and a brighter treble of somewhat higher quality but with less extension in the uppermost frequencies than IE8.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 56
well its still hard to decide between the ie8 and atrio because i have read people talking about how the ie8 frequencies do not go as low as the atrio. Apparently its the king of low bass.
However could the sacrifice in bass be wore the excellent mid/high/soundstage or the ie8?

As for the turbine, there doesn't seam to be a uk online seller at the moment and the only advantages is that it is fast!

Also keep in mind i eq my sf5 EB's to +6db 30-60hz and stock levels are not good enough for my taste!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back