Best Netbook?
Jan 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #31 of 89
I don't own one but I would go with the EeePc. Seems to have the biggest following and thus more resources, etc. I hear it's easiest to mod without breaking warranty, too. I heard that the HP netbook is just booboo overall.

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #32 of 89
I have been using the aspire one with the 160gig drive and 6 cell. So far there haven't been any real issues. It does seem a little slow at times but it is bearable.

I have no experience with any of the other netbooks but this one is pretty durable minus the finger prints all over the thing.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #33 of 89
I'm in the market for a netbook as well.

I've played with Lenovo s10, Asus Eee Pc and Acer Aspire One at circuit city the other day and I think I'm going to pickup an Aspire One. As for the Eee PC, compared to others, it felt like a toy and cheap so I'll probably never get it. On the other hand, Aspire One and S10 felt solid and durable. S10 was bigger and sleeker looking but more expensive than all the others, however, Aspire One had a better/sharper looking screen and when trying out demos I noticed that Aspire One was more robust and responsive than S10. They both had 1Gig of memory with 1.6 atom processor. I didn't know how many processes were running on both machines at the time so I'll probably do another demo but I'm really falling towards Aspire One for it's performance, sharper screen(glossy) and price. And the option for six cell battery doesn't hurt, either.

Hope this helps.

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #34 of 89
After finally getting a full 2 weeks to play around with my Aspire One, I have to say I am really enjoying it. It just feels more comfortable in my hands than a collegue's Samsung NC10 did, the screen is sharp, the audio is clean and it feels robust every time I pick it up to play with it. In terms of real time processing and program loading, it feels nearly as fast as my old laptop from 2-3 years ago (that machine is still a good machine). The biggest gripe I heard online when I purchased it was that the fan was extremely loud. I really haven't seen this yet. I can hear the fan if everything else in the surroundings is quiet, but it is no worse any other fan I have heard. My biggest gripe would be having to get use to the mouse button placement which is a bit annoying.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #35 of 89
Too bad Apple isn't releasing a Netbook, because Macbook owns. Does anyone dislike the small screen size on netbook?

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #36 of 89
I believe Apple's stated that it has no intention to get into netbook market anytime soon. Instead, though, there is a rumor that apple is working on a oversized touch-like device which will be pretty much like a netbook in a whole new different way. Whether they'll actually release the device or not is anybody's guess.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #38 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad Apple isn't releasing a Netbook, because Macbook owns. Does anyone dislike the small screen size on netbook?

I actually thought I would hate the small screen size and small keyboard, but it is actually very easy to get comfortable to both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only who would love to know hoe the sound output from them compares? if i get one its going to end up piping music into my ears as it gets used

The sound quality on the Acer is rather good--I rather prefer it to the SQ from my larger Toshiba laptop. Personally, I find it clean enough to make for a pleasurable portable listening experience.

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #39 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the market for a netbook as well.

I've played with Lenovo s10, Asus Eee Pc and Acer Aspire One at circuit city the other day and I think I'm going to pickup an Aspire One.

Be aware of that Acer is about to launch a new version of "the one" in January/February, look at this for more information.

I tested the Acer before I got the Lenovo, they are both good netbooks and stand above the rest in terms of build quality. These are my reasons for choosing the s10:

1. I've used several IBM/Lenovo's through the years and I've never encountered a HW failure. One of my Thinkpads was powered on 24/7 for two years without any hick up's
2. The s10 has a slightly bigger screen at 10" compared to the One's 8". I know it's not by much much, but everything counts. The overall size and weight of the two are almost the same.
3. Easy to upgrade. The s10 has a small access panel underneath, two screws to loosen is all it takes to upgrade the ram and hdd. Just about every other netbook requires a more or less total dis assembly for upgrades.
4. The s10 is the only netbook (that I'm aware of) that has a PC Express card slot. This makes it possible to add a sound card like the Echo Indigo IOX for better music playback

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only who would love to know hoe the sound output from them compares? if i get one its going to end up piping music into my ears as it gets used

One of the reasons why I got myself the Lenovo S10 was that I wanted to use it as a mobile "music station". The sound card (ALC269) is quite good, it can drive my headphones without any problem ( I use Pioneer HDJ-1000 for the road), but I plan to add a small portable amp or the Echo Indigo IOX so I can use some "proper" cans with it.

I installed a 500 gb hdd and copied all my flac's to it, Foobar2000 with asio output runs great on it!
beyersmile.png

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #40 of 89
Just saw the HP's 2140 this is a nice loaded netbook still not crazy about
the trackpad but everything else is nice plus being able to get it in silver
tired of black and white.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #41 of 89
I just put a 30gb SSD into my eee 1000ha today. Very quiet. The fan does not kick in as much. Read / Write speeds are good. Battery Life Improved. $82.00 shipped. I use a $4.00 (four dollars shipped) usb external sound card bought off of ebay. Compares very well with the edirol I just got rid off. Regardless of which Netbook you aquire, these are two low cost ideas to mod your rig.

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #43 of 89
The P isn't considered a "netbook" by Sony, it's more of a toy targeted to those with deep pockets. (I believe Sony themselves admitted it) It's got quite a few things going against it:

1) It's running Vista, and from what I've heard on a relatively outdated processor

2) The resolution is overkill for such a small screen, it won't be easy reading text even with modifications.The odd aspect ratio may also be problematic.

3) Sony could've very well fit a larger screen, considering how much extra bezel there is

4) It's $900 for the base configuration

5) The nipple

It may actually be worse function-wise than last-gen netbooks. But I won't lie, it is a fairly attractive piece of electronics. Just much too expensive for what you're getting. (Even by Sony standards)

EDIT: Here's Engadget's brief hands-on: http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/vaio-p-hands-on/

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #45 of 89
Easy killers!

I just thought it was pretty, i schoulda put that in there...haha

Ive got an Asus N10 with the GeForce card in it, plays alota games impressively smooth. Not very fast otherwise, though ive only used an eee 1000, so i have little to compare to...
...for being an IT, i know little about the netbook world. It seems like a new one comes out every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back