Best musical speakers for around $400 or less - Need help Asap
May 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

starbux48

100+ Head-Fier

Help! The more I read the more confusing it gets. I do NOT have any way to audition any equipment unfortunately. Have bought an Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp to play music from my Macbook Pro, getting an HRT Music Streamer II also. Have about $400 and change I can put into some speakers.

Almost bought some Polk, now onto Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 450's. They retail around $670 but can buy some at the lower price.

Not as concerned about movie/blu-ray playback as I am my music files. Mostly lossless, some Mp3s, all going through the Mac/Onkyo/HRT gear.

May 16, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 11
There might still be some new discontinued Energy RC-10 floating around for about $300.
For the price, nothing can touch them.
Here is a review: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc10.htm

Another great company that got trashed after being bought by a bigger competitor.
frown.gif

May 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 11
Some good options to look at:

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1
Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Micro Ti
Tannoy Reveal 601P Passive Studio Monitors
Behringer Truth B2031P Passive Studio Monitors
Magnepan MMG

Most of those will need a subwoofer for anything below 80 hz or so.  But they'll be much better to start with than a cheap 2.1 system, and you can add a sub later.

( I haven't auditioned those particular models, but I've heard other models from those manufacturers, and those models all have great reviews.)

May 29, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 11
If you do go with Maggie MMG's make sure the Onkyo is comfortable delivering power at 4 ohms and can supply a fair amount of current for those speakers at that impedance. The MMG's are also the hardest of those listed thus far to place in a room...they need room to breath in your space (being dipole types)...if you need to place your speakers close to a wall then a dynamic book shelf  (or dynamic hybrid) would be a better fit.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back