Best MUSIC SERVER: WEISS 301, Aurender, LUMIN.... ? HELP !
Aug 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #61 of 161

X100 does not do internet radio, Spotify, Qobuz, etc. Singular in purpose right? 

So, since I spend more and more time streaming from HiFi QOBUZ to explore new music rather than listening to my 'static' library :), the AURALIC ARIES might be a better alternative for me ?  have you hear it ? 

Indeed,  I would like to know if, when used as a Local Music player; the SQ of the AURALIC ARIES  is as good as if I was using an AURENDER X100 ?

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #63 of 161
John,

Thanks so much! Very close to pulling the trigger. I have a question in regards to some of the functionality.

1. How does the wireless connection to the app work? My system is not near my router so I am concerned if I have to hardware the LAN connection
2. Are the drives user swappable? Either for upgrade or failure?
3. Is there any ability to adjust files tags? Or must all that be done and then transferred onto the Aurender?
4. Is there any way to wirelessly add files?

Thanks so much!!

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #64 of 161
John,

Thanks so much! Very close to pulling the trigger. I have a question in regards to some of the functionality.

1. How does the wireless connection to the app work? My system is not near my router so I am concerned if I have to hardware the LAN connection
2. Are the drives user swappable? Either for upgrade or failure?
3. Is there any ability to adjust files tags? Or must all that be done and then transferred onto the Aurender?
4. Is there any way to wirelessly add files?

Thanks so much!!

1) It just has to be on the same network. Most people usually have wifi, and use it for their tablet. So that's already in place. Now it's just a matter of feeding the X100L with an Ethernet cable - which is a necessary component, as the X100L doesn't have built-in wifi. 

If you can't run a cable direct from your router, then you still have some options. You can use a PowerLine adapter which carries the signal over your home electrical wiring. You can use a MoCa bridge which does the same thing but uses your existing coaxial wiring (ie your cable TV wiring). Or, you can simply use a range extender/bridge type device like THIS which joins your main wifi and provides Ethernet connections to individual devices. Not all of these work in all homes, but between the three types at least one should do the trick.

2) The drives are indeed user swappable. They use Western Digital Green drives - X100L gets a pair of standard 3.5" drives while the X100S gets a laptop-style 2.5" drive. I have heard of at least one person upgrading to dual 4GB drives for the X100L, and apparently it worked just fine. Since the drives spin down when not in use they see far less stress than they would in a normal PC or NAS setup. This is related to the on-board 128GB SSD drive, but I'll explain it more in the full review. 

3) There's no tagging ability from the device. It's meant to work with a pre-existing library. I recommend Bliss to quickly and automatically maintain your library. It doesn't necessarily look like much, but it works very well in my experience.

I have heard from Aurender S10 users that you can actually connect an external USB CD drive and the device will automatically rip it for you. It uses FLAC and tags via one of the free internet databases. My experience with auto tagging via those databases is not stellar, so this method probably involved editing anyway. Personally I'd rather just use my desktop PC for ripping and tagging.

4) Once you have the Aurender on your network - using any of the methods I discussed above - it will show up as a network drive. So you just drag files from point A to point B, just like you would using a NAS or even copying files from one internal hard drive to another.

Depending on your network speed, this can be fairly slow or pretty quick.... but either way, once your transfer your existing library, it's a done deal, and future transfers will be smaller (just the new music you acquire). So it's not too terrible even if it initially takes a full day or two for the initial library transfer. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #66 of 161
Hi,

I recently ordered a used Auraliti PK90 and a separated new Nuforce LPS-2 and I am waiting to receive them. Regarding their connection I have several questions that I hope somebody can answer, hopefully John which has a similar system. Quoting John:

For $1100 this thing is superior to many of the fancy/high priced servers out there. Why? Because it uses the SOtM tX-USB card which isolates and cleans USB power. The tX-USB draws power directly from the linear power supply rather than the motherboard. Overkill? Sure, but at least it's not expensive overkill. 

Even when using the LPS to power the Auraliti, am I right assuming that by default the SOtM card gets power from the motherboard? The only way to provide direct power to the SOtM card is using its molex power input, right?

I had to send in the cable in so Auraliti could switch the part that plugs into their PK90. No charge involved and it took only a week or less. 

I asked Nuforce support which kind of power cables are included with the PSU but they did not reply and the output connectors of the LPS look rather unusual.

I have good umbilical cords that would probably fit the Auraliti and SOtM card but they are XLR 3-pin on the other side. On the other hand I will probable get with the LPS an umbilical power cable with "lps connector" in one side and "non-compatible-with-auraliti" on the other side so I am not sure what to do. I am located in EU and I am not sure how long it would take for Auraliti to modify my cable if they are willing to do it.

Ideally I would like to use both outputs of the LPS-2 to power simultaneously the Auraliti and SOtM card, connecting the Auraliti to the 15V/12V 4A output and the SOtM card to the additional 15V(hopefully configurable to 12V too) 1A output.

Cheers

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #67 of 161
  Hi,

Even when using the LPS to power the Auraliti, am I right assuming that by default the SOtM card gets power from the motherboard? The only way to provide direct power to the SOtM card is using its molex power input, right?

The PK90 does have a cable going to the Molex on the SOtM card. It's my understanding that the SOtM takes power directly from whatever power supply is being used. So that's either the stock power brick or else the LPS-1 or Auraliti version. 

Hi,

I asked Nuforce support which kind of power cables are included with the PSU but they did not reply and the output connectors of the LPS look rather unusual.

I have good umbilical cords that would probably fit the Auraliti and SOtM card but they are XLR 3-pin on the other side. On the other hand I will probable get with the LPS an umbilical power cable with "lps connector" in one side and "non-compatible-with-auraliti" on the other side so I am not sure what to do. I am located in EU and I am not sure how long it would take for Auraliti to modify my cable if they are willing to do it.

Ideally I would like to use both outputs of the LPS-2 to power simultaneously the Auraliti and SOtM card, connecting the Auraliti to the 15V/12V 4A output and the SOtM card to the additional 15V(hopefully configurable to 12V too) 1A output.

Cheers

NuForce is weird about the LPS series. They told me it was discontinued but they seem to sometimes have stock. Not sure you could use separate outputs though, and even if you could I'm not sure there would be any benefit from doing so. 

The stock cable that comes with it is a regular power umbilical, nothing fancy. Not sure I'd bother replacing it but if you're into that sort of thing I suppose you can give it a try. Their connector looks sort of proprietary on the LPS end, with the other end being a standard looking barrel type. You just need it swapped with one that fits the PK90, but you might be able to do that yourself or find a friend to handle it. 

At this point it may be easier to buy the Linear PSU from Auraliti. Unless you already own the NuForce. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #68 of 161

The PK90 does have a cable going to the Molex on the SOtM card. It's my understanding that the SOtM takes power directly from whatever power supply is being used. So that's either the stock power brick or else the LPS-1 or Auraliti version. 

NuForce is weird about the LPS series. They told me it was discontinued but they seem to sometimes have stock. Not sure you could use separate outputs though, and even if you could I'm not sure there would be any benefit from doing so. 

The stock cable that comes with it is a regular power umbilical, nothing fancy. Not sure I'd bother replacing it but if you're into that sort of thing I suppose you can give it a try. Their connector looks sort of proprietary on the LPS end, with the other end being a standard looking barrel type. You just need it swapped with one that fits the PK90, but you might be able to do that yourself or find a friend to handle it. 

At this point it may be easier to buy the Linear PSU from Auraliti. Unless you already own the NuForce. 

Thanks John,

As you explain it, I agree and understand that the SOtM takes power from the LPS so I would use only one of the outputs of my LPS-2. 

The LPS is now on sale in the NuForce official store and they had stock of the LPS-2 only so it is the one that I bought even if I do not plan to use the integrated USB to S/PDIF converter. They sell it now for 199$ plus shipping cost (240$ discount from standard price) and it has two power outputs.

As you suggest and as I do not have the skills I would look for somebody that can modify the cable.

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #72 of 161
Sep 20, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #73 of 161
  For anyone interested, my review of the Aurender X100L is finally finished - LINK. I love it. 

Interesting.  I saw this in the review replies:

"I’ve dealt with CAPS servers and a few modded Macs, and I generally place the better ones in the same range as the Auraliti PK90. The X100L outperforms my PK90 so I’d expect the same results comparing it to those devices. We aren’t talking massive SQ differences but it’s noticeable and worthwhile."

I am currently running the CAPS v.3 Micro Zuma with SOtM usb output to a DAC.  The HDPlex linear power supply powers the Micro Zuma (which does not need pico converter).  Jplay does a great job in this setup.  OS and Jplay resides on MSATA card and everything else is on HD externally via eSATA.  

The only thing that gives me pause about Aurender X100L is the use of storage hard drives inside the box.  I have found that when I move large hard drives outside the box (presumably causing less demand on the internal PS and less electrical noise), I get better sound quality in music servers.  

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #74 of 161
thread went quiet-- no love for servers on Head-Fi????  I am curious why,  is it......

1. It's just a computer, I could build one myself

2. they used X, but Y sounds better.  (this could be linux vs. windows vs. os-x; internal vs. external drives; usb vs ethernet; wifi or not.    etc

3. cd player still sounds better

4. I just connect my desktop/laptop to a dac and play music that way.

5. I use my PMP connectd to a dac, or as a dac (battery power baby!!!)

6. Other, please explain in the space below

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #75 of 161
  thread went quiet-- no love for servers on Head-Fi????  I am curious why,  is it......

Well, in my case, in order to discover new music/artists, I do not want any more to be limited to my existing music library.  

For this reason I also stream HighRes music from HighRes subscription services like Qobuz (and soon Tidal ) to discover new musics (and eventually download the one I really like)

So, music server like Aurender fill only half on my needs (but there are rumors that Aurender may add HighRes streaming and Internet radio support :).  

This is why I am very closely looking at the ARIES from Auralic that is a Music server AND also a streamer that includes a Qobuz client capable of streaming 16/44 Flacs (assuming you have a pay Qobuz account)

Are there other toL music server that also are capable of High Res streaming ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back