Best MUSIC SERVER: WEISS 301, Aurender, LUMIN.... ? HELP !
Aug 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #16 of 161
Quote:

Nice! Ray is a good guy, usually really quite to reply. That's good news about the enclosure - I'm jealous now. 

John,

What external HDD would you recommend? PK90 has only USB2.0 so no sense in utilizing external HDD USB3.0? 
In my current Windows based setup I utiIize WD Passport USB3.0 but not sure if it will work with PK90? I mean, will HDD formated on Windows work with PK90?

I'm considering WD Elements USB2.0 as it has its own external power supply which should have positive effect as in this case WD Elements will not consume any power from Auraliti and thus should not introduce any jitter in Auraliti opposed to the case when external HDD's are powered via USB from computer. Is my assumption correct?

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #17 of 161
Quote:

John,

What external HDD would you recommend? PK90 has only USB2.0 so no sense in utilizing external HDD USB3.0? 
In my current Windows based setup I utiIize WD Passport USB3.0 but not sure if it will work with PK90? I mean, will HDD formated on Windows work with PK90?

I'm considering WD Elements USB2.0 as it has its own external power supply which should have positive effect as in this case WD Elements will not consume any power from Auraliti and thus should not introduce any jitter in Auraliti opposed to the case when external HDD's are powered via USB from computer. Is my assumption correct?

You are right about USB 3.0 - the PK90 can't use it, and for playback use, the extra speed is not beneficial anyway. That would only apply when transferring files to the drive. So while all USB 3.0 drives should be backward compatible, there's really not much benefit in this application.

If you formatted your current drive in Windows, you probably used NTFS, which if I recall correctly does work with the PK90. FAT32 is the other possible format and it definitely works. So your current drive will most likely work based on those two. I had a portable HD that I formatted with a Mac and it would not work with PK90 at all. 

The only potential issue is that Linux (or at least the version Auraliti uses) doesn't support drives larger than 2TB. So if your WD Passport drive is 2.5TB or 3TB then it won't work. If you have a massive library, the Auraliti can connect several 2TB drives at once to accommodate your needs. Which is what I do since my collection has outgrown my original 2TB drive.

I'm not really sure as far as self powered drives versus bus powered. The PK90 has a ton of isolation so it really should not be a problem to power a little hard drive over USB. I use one of each type - my original G Technology 2TB drive has an external PSU, and I have that completely full. Then I have another portable 2TB drive powered by USB. It's very convenient to just detach that drive and move it to my desktop PC or laptop to transfer more files. It would be more work if I had to take the PSU with the drive just to load a new album. So that's something to consider. 

Also, and this could vary from drive to drive, but I usually turn off the Auraliti if I know I won't be using it for a few days. When I power down, the portable HD turns off as well. In contrast, the G Tech drive remains on no matter what. It's got a bright light on front that stays lit and the drive makes a tiny bit of noise just for being powered on - quieter than most other drives I've used, but still noise. Depending on your positioning, that could be annoying. Mine sits on the bottom of my rack and I can't hear it at all.

I guess I'm leaning towards the portable drive as a recommendation, though it's not a huge deal either way. I don't notice any difference in sound between tracks played from either drive. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #18 of 161
Thanks for as usual very detailed answer. My WD is 2TB so I will stick to it. Good point about moving portable HDD around plus much faster speeds when adding new albums to it on Windows computer.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 161
Nothing can even touch the Meridian Sooloos audio servers... The rest looks and feel like stone age.

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #21 of 161
Quote:
Nothing can even touch the Meridian Sooloos audio servers... The rest looks and feel like stone age.

Do you really believe in what you wrote about Sooloos? $7000 for this children's toy? The price is really "high-end" but components and the technical part of audio design are ridiculous. I'm sure that SQ wise it is even not close to ANY of CAPS digital transports and will not beat any of Auraliti products.

Auraliti design approach in selecting hardware (fanless&headless unit, linear power supply, SOtM output card, SSD for OS) and software (Linux Voyage MPD proved to be best for Audiophile purposes) is 100% in line with recommendations and criteria used for building true Audiophile music server. 

Have a look at the following link about Sooloos. I hope it will help to change your opinion about this "hi-end" music server.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=408084

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #22 of 161
I'm VERY happy with a Linn Akurate DS, after having tried a bunch of standalone DACs and PC audio combinations (various usb cables, softwares, power supplies etc etc). The DS gives me the sound I was looking for and it's compltetely plug'n'play...actually I never shout it down in the last 3 months or so!

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:50 AM Post #23 of 161
Quote:

Do you really believe in what you wrote about Sooloos? $7000 for this children's toy? The price is really "high-end" but components and the technical part of audio design are ridiculous. I'm sure that SQ wise it is even not close to ANY of CAPS digital transports and will not beat any of Auraliti products.

Auraliti design approach in selecting hardware (fanless&headless unit, linear power supply, SOtM output card, SSD for OS) and software (Linux Voyage MPD proved to be best for Audiophile purposes) is 100% in line with recommendations and criteria used for building true Audiophile music server. 

Have a look at the following link about Sooloos. I hope it will help to change your opinion about this "hi-end" music server.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=408084

Anyone with a bit of computer knowledge can build a CAPS music server for less than the asking price. I also wouldn't call it a music server also since it is using JRiver, overkill ssd for os/large enough hard drive and overkill cpu processing power for HD movies or the like, so more like an all in one multimedia box or a high end HTPC.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #24 of 161
HELP : no WIRED access to my network from my listening place!

Well, Since I have no WIRED access to my network from my listening place (in other words, my wife will not allow for an Ethernet cable across the living-room :), I am more interested in the AURENDER (local storage) and the LUMIN (it now can play directly from a USB Drive/stick) :  With booth Music servers, I don't need ethernet access to a NAS !

But ...
- If the SERVER cannot be connected to my Network, how can I use the Ipad to control the Server and select the files to be played ?  
- In the case of the LUMIN, is the playback from USB Drive/stick as good as when streaming the NAS through Ethernet ? 

So... what is the solution for me ?

Thanks in advance
Bertrand

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #25 of 161

Well, Since I have no WIRED access to my network from my listening place (in other words, my wife will not allow for an Ethernet cable across the living-room :), I am more interested in the AURENDER (local storage) and the LUMIN (it now can play directly from a USB Drive/stick) :  With booth Music servers, I don't need ethernet access to a NAS !

But ...
- If the SERVER cannot be connected to my Network, how can I use the Ipad to control the Server and select the files to be played ?  
- In the case of the LUMIN, is the playback from USB Drive/stick as good as when streaming the NAS through Ethernet ? 

Thanks in advance
Bertrand

Good question! It's not too different compared to my situation, where my listening area is far off to one corner of the house. And I don't have Ethernet running to each room (wish I did).

My solution was to use a wireless access point. It picks up the signal from the main router, then allows Ethernet connection from the access point device to my components. I use one from Amped Wireless but there are other options as well. Setup had a few minor complications but overall it wasn't too bad, and now I have a few spare Ethernet connections in there just in case I need them for other devices. Most recent wireless routers can double as access points too, so you have lots of options.

Other options: power line adapters allow signals to be transmit over your home wiring. Or that's the theory anyway. Apparently they don't always work in all houses, and definitely don't work with power conditioners (the signal gets filtered out). So those are off my list but they may work for you. Lastly, there's MoCA, which is the same concept as the power line option but it uses coaxial cable instead. This one is less popular or well known, but it seems to have some benefits like better transmission speeds. It doesn't care about power conditioners either. Less companies make these so they cost a little more, but still not too unreasonable if it works well and solves your problems. This assumes of course that you have coaxial wiring in the right placed - most houses around here do, but yours may not, or it might not be located in your listening area. 

Between these three, you should be able to find a solution. You would then be able to stream from a NAS - which is really the best way to go. I used a direct connection from external hard drive to my Auraliti for a long time, and it's fine, but the NAS is more convenient. I can easily add more music to it, or fix metadata if I notice errors, or share the library with other devices in the house.... none of which is possible using the direct connection. It got to be a pain moving the hard drive to my computer just to add more music. I ended up filling up that hard drive and then just using a large USB stick for new music, but that would eventually fill up as well. NAS is not too expensive and is a definite improvement in functionality. I don't think they sound any different - I'd be worried if they did.... it's the same data after all. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #26 of 161

Good question! It's not too different compared to my situation, where my listening area is far off to one corner of the house. And I don't have Ethernet running to each room (wish I did).

My solution was to use a wireless access point. It picks up the signal from the main router, then allows Ethernet connection from the access point device to my components. I use one from Amped Wireless but there are other options as well. Setup had a few minor complications but overall it wasn't too bad, and now I have a few spare Ethernet connections in there just in case I need them for other devices. Most recent wireless routers can double as access points too, so you have lots of options.

Other options: power line adapters allow signals to be transmit over your home wiring. Or that's the theory anyway. Apparently they don't always work in all houses, and definitely don't work with power conditioners (the signal gets filtered out). So those are off my list but they may work for you. Lastly, there's MoCA, which is the same concept as the power line option but it uses coaxial cable instead. This one is less popular or well known, but it seems to have some benefits like better transmission speeds. It doesn't care about power conditioners either. Less companies make these so they cost a little more, but still not too unreasonable if it works well and solves your problems. This assumes of course that you have coaxial wiring in the right placed - most houses around here do, but yours may not, or it might not be located in your listening area. 

Between these three, you should be able to find a solution. You would then be able to stream from a NAS - which is really the best way to go. I used a direct connection from external hard drive to my Auraliti for a long time, and it's fine, but the NAS is more convenient. I can easily add more music to it, or fix metadata if I notice errors, or share the library with other devices in the house.... none of which is possible using the direct connection. It got to be a pain moving the hard drive to my computer just to add more music. I ended up filling up that hard drive and then just using a large USB stick for new music, but that would eventually fill up as well. NAS is not too expensive and is a definite improvement in functionality. I don't think they sound any different - I'd be worried if they did.... it's the same data after all. 

Thanks a lot project86 for this solution.

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #27 of 161
3 new models from LUMIN now, plus a new interesting baby from AURENDER, 

plus a new one from SoTm.    

the market is eating up.... !  :)

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #28 of 161
Indeed. And guess who has an Aurender X100L en route for review? That's right, finally something tempt me away from my beloved Auraliti. We shall see if the added functionality of on board storage, display, front panel controls, dedicated Aurender iPad app, etc, is enough to overcome the price discrepancy.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #30 of 161

But ...

Thanks in advance
Bertrand

I have been using the Lumin Music Player now for about 4 months and it is very good. 

Just add a router specifically for the Lumin, so you will have full iPad control. Sonically, I found the Lumin sounding better with a NAS and Minimserver installed, than using a USB HDD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back