Best MP3-player for around $300?
Nov 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LostMySelf

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in a mp3-player which can play .flac files. I've been looking at the iAudio 9 and J3. Any thoughts on these two?

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
Cowons are some of the best players if you want to go ampless. Not so good if you want an amp though, since they lack a line-out.

This is a dead argument, as the HP out is just as good as a dedicated line out on most quality players nowadays. The line out is only volume locked, and that's really about it. A Cowon, or a Sansa, sound FANTASTIC from the HP out amped.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 11
What are you looking for in your audio player. Are you mainly concerned with sound? The Hifiman 601 is a great player and is now rock box capable. The T51 is also a good deal in terms of digital audio quality. But with these players you sacrifice battery life compared to other players (thats to be expected due to the powerful components used. If sound is not your main priority then maybe a Sansa, Cowon or itouch/phone would be good as well.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 11
The Hifimans are great players and will likely soon be Rock Box capabale. I would say it's a bit premature to recommend on the basis of Rock Box though. They are missing some basic functionality when rock boxed at this stage. Once it is working a bit more smoothly Rock Box will be a huge improvement for the HM-601-801.

They sound wonderful though.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Basically good volume, good clarity, can play .flac files not be too big. The 601 do look good but it's just too big for my liking.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Basically good volume, good clarity, can play .flac files not be too big. The 601 do look good but it's just too big for my liking.

Maybe the T51 would be better for you as its skinny and not too big. I like the feel of the 601 though. Its not huge IMO but there are significantly smaller devices like the sansa fuze.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 11
If your thinking of a Cowon i9 check out the new i10.  I have one and I'm loving it, it has just what I want and nothing I don't need like apps and other junk that takes up space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back