best monitor desktop speakers for <$500 per pair
Nov 21, 2014 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gauguin

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am a very analytical listener so I like the flat sound of monitor speakers (without getting ear fatigue) and I am looking for something to listen to all day at my work desk.
I am having a hard time making up my mind in the <$500 per pair monitor speaker space.  I already have a pair of 5 year old audioengine A5s that I use elsehwere but I am not sure whether I want to get a pair of the newer audioengine A5+s.
Instead I am considering  the updated Emotiva Airmotiv 5s.
What do you guys think of them? Any other monitor speakers I should consider within that price bracket?

Thank you!

Nov 21, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 13
  Hi,
I am a very analytical listener so I like the flat sound of monitor speakers (without getting ear fatigue) and I am looking for something to listen to all day at my work desk.
I am having a hard time making up my mind in the <$500 per pair monitor speaker space. I already have a pair of 5 year old Audioengine A5s that I use elsewhere but I am not sure whether I want to get a pair of the newer Audioengine A5+s.
Instead I am considering  the updated Emotiva Airmotiv 5s.
What do you guys think of them? Any other monitor speakers I should consider within that price bracket?

Thank you!

The JBL LSR305 and Emotiva Airmotiv 5s seem to get a lot of positive recommendations.

Nov 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 13

The JBL LSR305 and Emotiva Airmotiv 5s seem to get a lot of positive recommendations.

Hi, thank you PurpleAngel.  I did take a good look at the JBL LSR305s and they sound great - but to me they look a little strange especially the esthetic of the tweeter looks like a malformed navel.
Any other suggestions out there that top the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s or the Monoprice 5"?

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 13
  Hi, thank you PurpleAngel.  I did take a good look at the JBL LSR305s and they sound great - but to me they look a little strange especially the esthetic of the tweeter looks like a malformed navel.
Any other suggestions out there that top the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s or the Monoprice 5"?

I like my Monoprice 5" studio monitors, part of liking them was getting them on sale for $135.
And I'm fine with their sound quality, but I'm sure there is better.
but so far I've not really seen any suggestions about monitors that are better then the JBL and Emotiva in the under $500 price range.

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 13
After MANY years in audio, the one thing I am absolutely, 100% sure of is that there is no such thing as "best" when it comes to speakers or headphones, not even when we are talking about any specific price range. Ultimately, the selection depends a HUGE amount on your personal preferences, and with speakers, the environment in which they are placed.

I'll throw out a completely different option: a little T-amp (eg the Dayton DTA-120) and any of the thousands of excellent passive speakers.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 13
I second the Vanatoo Transparent One recommendation, it's a steal for its price.  Very flat sounding monitors, amazing functionality, sound quality is definitely a step above the A5+.  

The Adam Audio F5 is another one to consider, being one of the most well received active speaker sets out there.  It's $50 over your budget though.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Has anyone been able to directly compare the JBL LSR 305 and the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s powered monitors?  After exhaustive research online, I've decided to purchase one or the other for nearfield desktop listening at my office (not for mixing), and unfortunately I won't be able to listen to either in person beforehand.  The LSR 305 is about $80 less expensive, which is appealing, but I have read that the LSR 305 emits an audible hiss when no music is playing, which concerns me slightly. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 13
I know this thread is somewhat old but...

I purchased a pair of Airmotiv 5s's when they seemed to go on super sale and I really enjoy them. My previous experience with near field listening is garbage but I have never had a pair of desktop monitors that sounded like this...
I am somewhat partial to the folded ribbon tweeter. I have always liked this design. Other reasons I bought these:
-I wanted a good sub to go with them (I added an SVS SB-1000 which pairs nicely)
-I wanted to add my own DAC (I originally purchased the emotiva XDA-2 but returned it due to SLOW preamp and low WAF only to purchase the stealth dc-1. LOVE IT!)
My wife said I could have a small system but she wanted to be able to eventually hook up a TV to them later (which just happened). The room these speakers are in is 17' x 34' with so-so acoustics at the moment and I am thrilled. I currently have my computer, appleTV, and my actual TV hooked up to these speakers and they do it all well! I have found myself sitting ~3ft from each speakers relistening to all of my music library. The sound easily fills the first floor of our house though. These speakers are very clear, nice separation, crisp effortless treble and, when close or just music, the bass is fine but for shows or more aggressive music, the subwoofer is great.
Granted, these speakers are not big or three way speakers;therefore, I don't expect them to perform like that but these sound better than I ever imagined! These speakers have made me excited to listen to music like I haven't been in years. To anyone considering them, I cannot recommend them enough
(A tiny piece of electrical tape to cover up the bright light on the front certainly helps)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back