best mobile audio source
Aug 6, 2008 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jvgig

Head-Fier
Would playing flac files from a laptop through a mobile x-fi card or similar, or playing a mixture of flac and 320mp3 files though a D2 (both unamped) give better sound quality?

Then if you get an external dac/amp such as the predator, which would be better?

Thanks

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 9
Obviously neither are the best possible option, but currently I have no portable audio of any kind so I need to start somewhere and as I am a high school student who must support my own hobbies, I am unable to go all out right from the beginning. Basically since I need a laptop school this year (cinematography class) would it be worth my money to invest in a sub $100 sound card for the laptop or just use the ones in the D2 which I will also be getting?

Down the road, maybe next summer, I will be investing in a Predator or similar. Then which would work better, or would they be the same?

Currently I am between sleek sa6 and triple.fi and prefer the clearest analytical sound.

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 9
when you say mobile audio, i'm assuming you mean car audio, is that correct?

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 9
Predator's price tag prevents me from buying it...but where's the fun in the chase if it was so affordable

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 9
car audio with headphones...no, mostly bus, subway, class while working on my projects, etc. Nothing too mobile such as running, but not sitting at home either. When size and mobility are a main concern, I will be using the D2, at home, my pc, but when I have a backpack, or am sitting somewhere for longer than a few minutes, would it be worthwhile to fire up the laptop as opposed to the D2?

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvgig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
car audio with headphones...no.

damn, my mind reading skills are diminishing
rolleyes.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvgig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When size and mobility are a main concern, I will be using the D2, at home, my pc, but when I have a backpack, or am sitting somewhere for longer than a few minutes, would it be worthwhile to fire up the laptop as opposed to the D2?

I think that last question is best answered by looking at what you want to have with you. If you're comfortable having a portable DAC/Amp with you and pulling that out with your laptop rather than just using your D2, then go for it. I'd wager the laptop > DAC/Amp would sound better, but even if I had the money to get a Pico I probably wouldn't use it in any situation other than when I have an extended time to sit and listen.

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Laptop -> USB DAC/Amp will well exceed most portable sources you'd consider worth the money. Don't bother on the $100 on an improved sound card if you can spend that $100 on a USB DAC solution.

Hell, my Macbook from the headphone-out sounds better than most of the AMPED digital audio player setups I've heard, let alone from an unamped player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back