Best Mini-mini and mini-RCA interconnects
Apr 2, 2002 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Money is not really an object. I would like to know the absolute best Mini to mini and mini to RCA interconnects to be combined with my portable system. I know Headroom sells Kimbre cables and many have said they prefer these to monster cables. I feel that after getting a JMT amp and my cosmic is coming...that I just need to round things up with nice cables. I am really in the unknown when it comes to cables. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 2, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #2 of 40
Zanth,

are you willing to DIY? A friend built me a mini to mini cable using Homegrown Audio Lace wire (two wires for ground, one each for l & r) that sounds great, although i've only been able to compare it to radiohack's gold series. That whole project should be pretty cheap (check out canare.com and homegrownaudio.com). I also recently cut my PBJ w/WBT0147s in half and soldered a Canare mini plug on the open end... i've tried it between my home cd players and JMT built CMoy and it clearly blows the Monster Interlink CD away. The whole project took like 15 minutes.

best,
carlo.

Apr 2, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 40
I like the Kimber mini to RCA, I use it on my JMT amp from JVC DVD player and I get really good results. The Kimber mini to mini however I think is too bright and lacks bottom end.

I suggest looking in to a Markertek mini to mini. They use Canare cable and plugs, and is a great sounding cable for a great price.

Apr 2, 2002 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 40
Bolder Belden 89259 twisted pair mini-mini with Canare F-12 plugs. *warning, it's stiff as hell. If you want RCA, Wayne uses Cardas plugs, but if I got one, I'd ask for WBT 0144.

Apr 3, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 40
Thanks for the great responses. For the mini-mini I think I will go with Markertek as they seem to get a better sound than the kimber and at a far lesser price!!

As for the Mini-RCA I will go straight with the Kimber from Headroom and be done with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks to all that helped me out!

Apr 3, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 40
I recently noticed my mini to RCA radioshack cable has pointy arrows drawn all over it, pointing from the mini to RCA. unfortunately I am using it reversely, from the cd player to the porta corda.

I am not sure if there are any sonic degradation because of the way i use it. it'd be worth your while to make sure its bidirectional and if not, its what you intend to use it for.

Apr 3, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 40
I've used many Kimber Kables. And have always been happy with them. The latest was from Headroom the Mini-RCA. They do seem to add some "zip"to the sound.

Lextek
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by jbannow
This is the Markertek cable, right? http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...BaseItem=SC3MM

Seems reasonable at $13.

[size=medium]No, it's not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size] Warning: That's the mono mini to mini NOT the stereo mini to mini, which is what you want. Another user got burned because they ordered the mono mini, be sure you order the RIGHT ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 3, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification ... on a OT note, I'm getting a total airhead and an airbag ... should I go for the 1.5' or the 3'?

Keep in mind the interconnect cable that comes with the TAD has a 90 degree angle, making a much better fit inside the airbag than a cable with a straight in connection. If I were to use a straight in cable with my portable setup, the result would be a very tight and awkward connection between my player and the TAH when in the airbag. I do use the Headroom Kimber Kable mini to RCA when using my TAH with a non-portable source.

Apr 3, 2002 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA

Keep in mind the interconnect cable that comes with the TAD has a 90 degree angle, making a much better fit inside the airbag than a cable with a straight in connection.

So the Total Airhead comes with a cable? How is the quality of this cable?

Does anyone know of a retailer with 90 degree adapters for the mini jack?

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

So the Total Airhead comes with a cable? How is the quality of this cable?

Does anyone know of a retailer with 90 degree adapters for the mini jack?

Thanks!

I think Tandy / RadioSchlock has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back