Best mid price IEMs
Jan 11, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #46 of 76

just get the RE-600 , i listen to these genres as well and i am very happy with my RE-600 - great iem , especially when you feed it with good recordings (not mp3 or crappy overcompressed recordings)

i think that the re600 is a 400$ iem with a 200$ price tag , but since it's not made by senheiser/shure/westone (the big 3, brand-wise) they don't get the love they deserve

425 and ie80 are not even close to the re600, quality wise

cheers

Curious - because I am always wary when people talk in absolutes.  How much time have you spent with SE425 and IE80?  Can you please give detailed differences between all 3 - especially if they're "not even close quality wise" ......

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #47 of 76

just get the RE-600 , i listen to these genres as well and i am very happy with my RE-600 - great iem , especially when you feed it with good recordings (not mp3 or crappy overcompressed recordings)

i think that the re600 is a 400$ iem with a 200$ price tag , but since it's not made by senheiser/shure/westone (the big 3, brand-wise) they don't get the love they deserve

425 and ie80 are not even close to the re600, quality wise

cheers

Thanks for the recommendation, it's great to get an opinion from someone who listens to similar material.  Three headphones ago someone told me "just get the IE8".  Perhaps they were right then and perhaps they are right still, but somehow I didn't.  I don't doubt that all the three models are good IEM.  My main concern is which, if any, fits my requirements.  Ideally, I would get something that will serve me for a couple years like the SHE9850 do.  RE600 is here a bit cheaper than the other two, but I've seen some people complaining about quality control, especially regarding cables breaking.  I've also seen somewhere a couple of complaints about units that do not sound as they should.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #48 of 76

Thanks for the recommendation, it's great to get an opinion from someone who listens to similar material.  Three headphones ago someone told me "just get the IE8".  Perhaps they were right then and perhaps they are right still, but somehow I didn't.  I don't doubt that all the three models are good IEM.  My main concern is which, if any, fits my requirements.  Ideally, I would get something that will serve me for a couple years like the SHE9850 do.  RE600 is here a bit cheaper than the other two, but I've seen some people complaining about quality control, especially regarding cables breaking.  I've also seen somewhere a couple of complaints about units that do not sound as they should.

cables are not the best , true - this is the only area where westone/shure etc are better iems.
as for the sound it opens up , don't worry there.

music wise , i listen to fela, sly stone, marvin gaye , talking heads to name a few (all flac, and as much as possible in good/great vinyl rips) - so yeah it's not like you are geting an opinion on the re600 from someone who listens to ****ty music - these are great iems for quality music.

cheers

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #50 of 76
Hi, I'll chime in quickly. As a previous owner of SE425, I think they are technically lacking to some other possible IEMs available in the market now and I say this as a person that likes a warm, neutral sound. If you are going to use android phone as the DAP, I strongly recommend FX850 with poweramp EQ, you will discover TOTL sound, no bluffs, at 250 dollars. That said, if you aren't interested in EQ, RE600/CKR9 are solid options.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #51 of 76
I'd take a look at the ASG 2.5's I just got them and love them. They are extremely clear and for the price can't be beat. Also the tunable bass response is a huge plus.

Thanks for the recommendation, they look really interesting.  Unfortunately, they are a bit above my budget.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #53 of 76
Hi, I'll chime in quickly. As a previous owner of SE425, I think they are technically lacking to some other possible IEMs available in the market now and I say this as a person that likes a warm, neutral sound. If you are going to use android phone as the DAP, I strongly recommend FX850 with poweramp EQ, you will discover TOTL sound, no bluffs, at 250 dollars. That said, if you aren't interested in EQ, RE600/CKR9 are solid options.

Hi, thanks, this is really interesting.  Yeah, I'm not using EQ at all and would rather not start.  How are the CKR9 sibilance-wise?

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #55 of 76
Just to throw something a bit different at you. I would take a look at the perfect seal sportbud silver. Comfort from a CIEM is generally going to be much better than any universal, especially if you use them for extended listening sessions. I got mine a couple weeks ago and love them. You can check out average_joe's review of them http://theheadphonelist.com/ciem_review/perfect-seal-sportbud-silver-canal-sized-custom-in-ear-monitors-for-sports//

Great price/performance option if you want to try a custom.

Edit: Not sure what happened with the URL being wonky, but it appears it's working.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #57 of 76
  Definitely look at some of the used IEMs on here as there are some great deals.

Yeah, I've seen some really good deals there.  Still, with the post service, customs, and exchange rate movements where I'd prefer to buy something in store in the local currency.

+1. Regarding sibilance, it's been a while since I heard them but was fine for me. However, do bear in mind I do like my trebles
smily_headphones1.gif

Alright, thanks, I'll look more into them, this push-pull design seems really interesting, and the price here seems still OK (~$270).  I seem to be a bit more sensitive to high frequencies than the average person my age, I guess that's why I'm fine with the treble roll-off on SHE9850.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #58 of 76
 Definitely look at some of the used IEMs on here as there are some great deals.

Yeah, I've seen some really good deals there.  Still, with the post service, customs, and exchange rate movements where I'd prefer to buy something in store in the local currency.

+1. Regarding sibilance, it's been a while since I heard them but was fine for me. However, do bear in mind I do like my trebles
smily_headphones1.gif

Alright, thanks, I'll look more into them, this push-pull design seems really interesting, and the price here seems still OK (~$270).  I seem to be a bit more sensitive to high frequencies than the average person my age, I guess that's why I'm fine with the treble roll-off on SHE9850.

Look into CKR10 if you are ok with the price too. I think it may suit you better.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #59 of 76
Look into CKR10 if you are ok with the price too. I think it may suit you better.

OK.  These seem to go for ~$360 here, that's a bit above what I'd like to spend (and the price of the cheapest locally made customs, no idea if those are any good though).

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #60 of 76
If anyone is interested, I am planning a sub-$300 iem shootout soon. The iems are arriving (just bought some, will be borrowing others, etc) over the next few weeks.

Iems I'm considering in the lineup: dunu dn2000, jvc 850, fidue a83, ath im70, aurisonics rockets, hifiman re600, phonak 232, earwerkz supra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back