Best Method for connecting hookup wire to Capacitor leads
Jan 18, 2007 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rean1mator

100+ Head-Fier
HI All,
I'm going to take a crack at doing a similar mod to the red wine audio IMOD.

Was wondering what would be the best method to connect the hookup wire coming from the DAC to the capacitor leads.

Solder it together?

Also best method for connecting the hookup wire to the line out input and to the dac.

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #2 of 5
If your attempting to add on to exisiting wires than simply solder new wires to the exsisting wires and cover with heatshrink! (you never made a spice before?) The same goes to the caps...solder wires to the cap leads and cover with heatshrink shrink. If you need to tap into exsisint connections on a PCB than thats another story...post pictures of what you are attempting to do here. Also what size are the caps you are adding? I havent a clue waht a "red wine audio IMOD" is so you need to be more specific to your situation in the future.

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your attempting to add on to exisiting wires than simply solder new wires to the exsisting wires and cover with heatshrink! (you never made a spice before?) The same goes to the caps...solder wires to the cap leads and cover with heatshrink shrink. If you need to tap into exsisint connections on a PCB than thats another story...post pictures of what you are attempting to do here. Also what size are the caps you are adding? I havent a clue waht a "red wine audio IMOD" is so you need to be more specific to your situation in the future.

The iMOD bypasses the output opamp of an ipod, similiar to the swensen mod for toshiba DVD players. You connect a coupling cap directly to the outputs of the dac.

The output of the dac should go to a couple of surface mount resistors. I would remove the resistors, then add a wire to the resistor pad. Other end of the wire will go to the cap. Do same for both dac outputs, to your two output caps.
An alternative is to just wire from the dac output to your output jack, and add the capacitors on the headphone amp's input. This might be easier.

You do understand this will stuff will be REALLY small, and delicate?

Randy

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Ok than i would have to say that just the fact that he posted this question in the first place he wont have the technical skills to complete this mod! First of all I highly doubt he will be able to get his IPOD apart succesfully, and second of all he sounds like a complete...er...novice, and if surface mount components are involved....FAH-GET-ABOUT-IT!

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by randytsuch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do understand this will stuff will be REALLY small, and delicate?

Randy

REALLY small is an understatement. I opened up the ipod last night to take a look and I definitley don't have the skills to solder on to anything that small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back