best meal under $10
Mar 25, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #16 of 103
10 dollars eh...I would probably go down to Panera Bread and get a Frontega Chicken Panini. Those are my favorite there.If I had to go to a super market and buy some food I would most likely just buy some allright cheese, a good loaf of bread, and some smoked turkey.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #17 of 103
In-n-out 3x3 with grilled onions
fries
neopolitan shake

After eating this five times, you would end up in the hospital for a triple bypass
frown.gif
. But, it would all be worth it. It's delicious.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #18 of 103
I'm gonna have to say a Chipotle chicken burrito with black beans, rice, cheese, sour cream, corn salsa, guac, and a regular Dr. Pepper. Costs about $8.50 where I live (although in NYC you might break $10).

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #19 of 103
my comfort food:
24oz becks beer
metro market fried chicken breast
small hard baguette

i may just have this for lunch today.

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 103
A REAL Chinese or Vietnam restaurant.

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 103
Pho and a soda chanh (lime soda)... can't beat that for the $$$.
With summer now here, I go to the store and buy $10 worth of rib-eye (same thing as prime rib but cheaper being a lower grade). Grille that over open flame and you're miles ahead of any restraunt for the $$$.

Heres my theory, and others can agree/dispute me... its based on the local dives in my area.

When it comes to ethnic foods, my criteria is that if they accept Visa or checks... they will not be as good. Some of the BEST places I have tried accept cash only. There is an AWESOME indian lunch buffet near my work, and its cash only. I have never seen a non-indian person eat there. There is a little mexican deli I go to in Gilroy, that has the most incredible Menudo... cash only!!

It works with chinese, thai, vienamese, mexican, greek...etc...

The little food trailers at the county fair are a gold mine!!

I haven't found a cash-only japanese place yet... but I'm searching.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #24 of 103
For under $10

A bowl of Pho and some springrolls
A bowl of congee and chow mein
Japanese food (ramen or sushi/sashimi)
A meal at Wendys
BBQ pork on rice and a bowl of wonton noodle/soup

Mar 25, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #26 of 103
I love ethnic food....but Indian around me is more then $10 (excluding some really great lunch buffets that are just at $10 with water). Of food that's well under $10: Greek salads, enchiladas verdes, and tacos de carne asada. Problem with mexican, though, is that my meal normally gets up to $15 because I also crave the 32oz Dos Equis!!!

*edit* kramer's idea of good ethnic food not accepting credit cards. That doesn't seem to work in my area. The only places I can think of that don't accept credit cards are good southern BBQ places. The best Thai, Indian, Mexican, and Greek places around me all accept credit cards. One of the gold standards on how good an ethnic place is IMO, is how many natives eat there. You can tell the usual Chinese buffets where I'm at just cater to overweight white folks who want all you can eat fat. There are a couple nice Chinese places near me that are more authentic. I know the good Indian place that's near me is really great, because on a busy Friday or Saturday it draws in a huge number of Indian customers. There's enough Indian places around that they don't need to go to this one particular Indian restaurant, also. Ditto for Mexican: I've never seen a Mexican at one of those yuppie Mexican chain restaurants.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #27 of 103
There's a 24-hour joint near my house with a belt-breaking omelette for around 7 bucks. It's comes with oily and crispy hash browns and two slices of buttered wheat/white toast or English muffin along with three big jars of jam. You're probably looking at 5 eggs and 2000 calories, haha. Plus, they rent DVDs and play them at night on their big screens.

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #29 of 103
either chinese food or the occasional vietnamese dish...

but since there's not much of that where i live i'd say:

U Pick 2 from Panera... Chicken Caesar sandwich on asiago foccacia (or a chicken bacon dijon panini) with no onions, broccoli and cheddar soup, with a french baguette.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back