Best "mastered" albums of the decade?
Feb 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #76 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmurray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a thread about the mastering of Chinese Democracy on gearslutz, interesting stuff;

Guns n' Roses - Chinese Democracy - Gearslutz.com

LFF - what do you think of the mastering on this particular album?

Damn it...

I was going to post this one as No. 3. LOL!

For being a modern rock album, it's great (mastering wise). As for the performance...I'll leave that up to you guys.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #77 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn it...

I was going to post this one as No. 3. LOL!

For being a modern rock album, it's great (mastering wise). As for the performance...I'll leave that up to you guys.
evil_smiley.gif

you can still put it at number 3, i wont think less of you LFF
tongue.gif
i actually really like the cd, i was never a huge GnR fan, liked a few songs, but this one i do like, though it might just be because of buckethead playing the guitar for it.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #79 of 235
Just finished listening to both Night is the New Day by Katatonia and Dethalbum II by Dethklok, and i would say that both of them are fantastic, crushed yes, but no apparent clipping that i could find in etiher. Night is the New Day was also much better overall, way better dynamics, i just felt the need to include deathklok because for its genre i feel it does very well.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #82 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyramid6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@LFF
Did we ever get a full top ten? I'm curious.

Thanks

No. Still working on the top 5.
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #83 of 235
I really had to look hard to find a few, and that's pretty sad. I'm not talking about re-masters like the Beatles or Miles Davis, I mean albums where their first run was in the last 10 years.

What I did find:

a-ha - "Foot of the Mountain" (2009). A bit compressed, but the levels are least lower than a normal CD.

Five for Fighting - "America Town" (2000).

The Divine Comedy - "Victory For The Comic Muse" (2006). Levels are a bit high, but at least it doesn't seem to clip. Dynamics seem to be intact, as well.

Bon Iver - "For Emma, Forever Ago" (2007). Yes, this is almost cheating, given the source material. But, even comparable low-fi music is usually mastered much higher than this album.

Neil Diamond - "12 Songs" (2005). Again, it's acoustic pop. But, the levels are still much lower than you expect out of an album mastered in 2005.

The Ditty Bops - "Self Titled" (2004). The levels are high, but the dynamics seem to be intact, at least.

I also avoided any classical works, as I think those are still (relatively immune) to the loudness wars, given their niche status.

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #84 of 235
How about Alison Krauss and Union Station - Lonely Runs Both Ways (2004). It's one of the albums I got to when testing equipment because of the great sounding instruments and her terrific voice.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #86 of 235
Celtic Frost "Monotheist" compressed to hell. Just me I'm afraid. Now that I think about it and listen more critically, the sound is rather dense and separation is low. Probably just a case of good engineering let down by poor mastering.

Apologies if this is a little off-topic.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #87 of 235
Will probably be crucified for saying this here
tongue.gif

Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesounds

JT1.jpg

Usher - Here I Stand
usher1.jpg

This doesn't belong to the category but just thought i'll post the waveform for Billie Jean and Beat It too
biggrin.gif
Love the dynamics in there
MJ1.jpg

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #88 of 235
^ nice. It occurs to me that quality mastering probably goes a long way to prevent music from sounding dated. I can't say I'm a fan of MJ but the songs off Thriller always sound fresh and engaging.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #90 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK...counting them down....

10. Diana Krall – Quiet Nights (released March 31, 2009)
51-%2BMKpwNSL._SS500_.jpg

The music is good, the mastering is rather good and it’s not compressed to hell like most modern albums.

09. Rebecca Pidgeon – Retrospective (released April 22, 2003)
51RG25Z4SYL._SS500_.jpg

The sound on this SACD is just amazing. Some of the most natural recordings you might ever hear. What’s more, a lot of these tracks often show up on demo CD’s.

08. Miles Davis – Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition) (released January 20, 2009)
l43541.jpg

I tried avoiding re-issues but this one is special. This has been released countless times but this is the FIRST time it has been released with the full dynamic range intact

Am I to understand that the best mastered albums are those with as few instruments as possible?..
or just because they are easier to master?
confused_face(1).gif

I dont own the first 2, but knowing Krall, I suscept there are no electric guitars, some kind of unplugged boring music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back