Best Mac Audio Player?
Feb 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kscwuzhere

New Head-Fier
So I'm looking for an application that organizes my audio files presentably, something that can handle a variety of audio formats(16/24bit up to 196Hz), read a variety of file types (flac, mp3, aac, etc), and most importantly, a player that switches the audio output format according to the file that is playing. Currently I have to go to the "Audio Midi Setup" app and manually switch the format according to the file playing and am really looking for an automatic substitute. Thank you!

So far I've checked out Audirvana, clementine, decibel, amarra, and songbird. Amongst those, I like audirvana's function the best because it switches both the source's sample rate and bit depth according to the song playing but hate it's library organization. Songbird has the best organization but sounds bad compared to the other apps i mentioned.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 25
You could look at a app that is interegrated with itunes, so you still have the same organisation, such as bitperfect (although I dont know if it supports flac)

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 25
Convert FLAC to ALAC? Half-kidding, but if you find a solution you like, and the only limitation is lack of FLAC support... it'd be a one-time inconvenience to get everything converted...

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 25
I regularly buy FLAC files and convert them with XLD.  But if you already have a big
FLAC library, then that can obviously be a pain.  I convert to ALAC so that I can use
the iTunes library to organize everything, and ALAC keeps the album metadata in the 
same file as the music -- which is nice.

BUT: there are a number of MAC music players that accommodate FLAC directly.  

I've heard good things about JRiver, though I've not used it.  Seems to fit the bill,
plays FLAC etc, and goes for $50 USD.

Also Audirvana+ is a very good sounding player.  You'd use it in playlist mode
rather than in iTunes integrated mode.  You can build and then save playlists, but not really
the library system you're wanting.  Very nice player though http://audirvana.com/  It's $74 USD.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 25
Check out Amarra HiFi.   Works in conjunction with iTunes.   Also you can try it for 15 days for free.  One thing if you try it, once installed alway launch Hi Fi first and it will launch iTunes.  The other way around it gets buggy.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 25
You could look at a app that is interegrated with itunes, so you still have the same organisation, such as bitperfect (although I dont know if it supports flac)

BitPerfect does not support flac, but it will switch sample rates on the fly, which was an important requirement for me, also.  Audirvana Plus will also switch sample rates automatically, and it does support flac playback.  You can run it with iTunes, or as a standalone player.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 25
  Alright so it looks like audirvana is the best option for both sample rate switching and flac support. Thanks for the responses! 

Audivana+ is a terrific product for the Mac.  

However, note that it doesn't offer "music library" features.  It has an "iTunes integrated mode" so you
can use iTunes as your music library.  But iTunes doesn't read Flac --- so you may end up just using folders to organize your music.  

Audivana sounds great with all file types I've tried and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed in the sound.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 25
  Audivana+ is a terrific product for the Mac.  

However, note that it doesn't offer "music library" features.  It has an "iTunes integrated mode" so you
can use iTunes as your music library.  But iTunes doesn't read Flac --- so you may end up just using folders to organize your music.  

Audivana sounds great with all file types I've tried and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed in the sound.

You're absolutely right. However, I've always believed in function over form so I'll be sticking with Audirvana!

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 25
You can use free software such as Max to convert your flac files to aiff, or to Apple ALAC.  And, you now have the option, if you are purchasing music from HD Tracks, to download in the AIFF format.  iTunes is a good enough library application---I would work to get my music into a format that it can understand, rather than switching to another library type application.

And, for me, Audirvana is the only music player I've tried that actually gives an audible improvement.  I initially tried other players besides iTunes because I was accumulating some 24/96 files, and I wanted something that would automatically switch sample rates.  I didn't think that there would be any sonic benefits, so when I tried Audirvana, that was a pleasant surprise.

May 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 25
I really like two players: Audirvana Plus (Not free -but, The Best Player) and that in XBMC Media Center is a reality, however, is a great music player, mainly that it works seamlessly with external DAC 
Audirvana has slightly better sound quality ... even slightly.

May 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 25
  I really like two players: Audirvana Plus (Not free -but, The Best Player) and that in XBMC Media Center is a reality, however, is a great music player, mainly that it works seamlessly with external DAC 
Audirvana has slightly better sound quality ... even slightly.

Yeah, I've been using audirvana plus, definitely the best player for my needs.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #14 of 25
After discovering my MacBook Pro digital optical output played trough an external DAC ( Firestone Spitfire) sound too soft and lacks definition comparing to the same songs played from the ripped CD on my CD player (trough the same DAC), or USB output, I tried all possible Mac audio players thinking this maybe up to iTunes. After testing ALL audio players possible, and finding no difference in the sound, while converting flac to aiff using Bigsoft Audio Converter, I played a song trough it and immediately noticed a huge sound improvement. The sound was as it should be, clear, defined and dynamic. This discovery proved iTunes and other audio players were spoiling the sound quality.
I tried to find Bigsoft audio player, but the company has none, and their file converters could not have playlists, so you could play only one song at a time.

Then, after trying all possible programs able to play music, I bumped into VLC Media Player. And, this was it, it became my MacBook Pro official music player.

Try it for yourself.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #15 of 25
Amarra is the best I have heard so far. Most should try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back