Best low voltage PSU caps?
Dec 8, 2006 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
I intend to replace the caps that are used for smoothing post-rectifiers in my DAC. A search here turned up threads that mostly pertain to high voltage caps.

I'm looking for 3300uf/35V and 1000uf/35V polarised electrolytics.

Anyone out there have any they can recommend? All recommendations, save blackgates (too expensive!), are welcome.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radial leaded? Or snap-in?

Leaded: Panasonic FM or FC

Snap in: Panasonic TSHA

Thanks for that reply - I'll get straight down to comparing specs.

Would you happen to know what I should look out for when selecting a cap for the aforementioned purpose?

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 7
When reading capacitor datasheets to select PSU caps, is this what I should be looking for?

- low ESR (or impedance)
- high ripple current
- correct dimensions

Anything else?

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Low ESR is what I usually look for (correct dimensions obviously). The one exception that I can think of is some voltage regulators do not like low ESR or alot of capacitance on their outputs... so check the vreg datasheet. Also, alot of people like Sanyo OS-Cons in digital supplies.

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 7
What about the Rubycon ZA/ZL series? They seem like a good value, but I've never tried them. When I get the boards for my next headphone amp I'm going to give them a try.

Dec 9, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Look out for low leakage too, have a read of this some good guidelines

a snippet:

"Capacitors also leak. In theory, a capacitor blocks all DC and passes only AC (including audio). In practice, however, a capacitor will pass some direct current; some types, such as film capacitors, pass almost none, while many electrolytics leak a lot. (Incidentally, most power supply caps leak a great deal when the piece of equipment is first turned on; they stabilize after about 30 minutes, and leak less. This is one of the reasons equipment sounds better after it's been warmed up.) Replacing capacitors with low-leakage units is always a good idea. Finally, capacitors exhibit a curious behavior called "dielectric absorption," or "DA." The capacitor acts as though it has a memory; when a charge is placed on the capacitor, then removed, an echo of the charge can reappear on the plates as if by magic. This can lead to audible problems, including smeared bass notes and the muddied rhythms."

Spec sheet for the Panasonic TH / SA series here

Dubilier DPG 105 series are another nice sounding cap but their leakage specs are 0.02 CV (Ua) as opposed to the Panasonics 0.01 CV (ua) nothing to really write home about and I can vouch for the dubiliers, well made and sound just great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back