Best low impedance amp for akg k550s
Jan 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
Have any of you suggesting the Magni actually tried it with the K550? I can't imagine that'd be a perfect match..

I have tried the K550 with the Asgard and the Asgard sounds the same as the Magni, and I think the K550 works well with the Asgard. You can always for a FiiO product like an E07K/E17+E09K. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #17 of 28
I've tried the K550 with the O2/ODAC combo. Excellent setup all around, and by no means did the combination lack any bass; there were more than enough!  I think the whole bass issue is more based on the seal more than anything.

One issue with the O2/ODAC setup however was that it had too much gain for the K550 at their default configuration. K550's is a very sensitive headphone, so the volume at 10 O'clock was very loud with most modern music, and 11 O'clock dangerously loud. Most songs stayed at 9 O'clock position... so you'd be getting very little of the volume knob to play around with, which isn't exactly ideal. So if you are interested in the O2/ODAC combo I'd look into getting one with the gain settings modified to unity gain instead of the default 2.5x/6x gain.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 28
Ya, I read the thread on how to achieve perfect seal for the akg k550s and it does work wonders. But I m still looking for bass body and impact. Not too much but just enough to feel instruments in the wide soundstage without having to eq. Eq always screws up imaging, clarity and basically the whole sound balance with these cans. Seriously the akg k550 scales terribly with eq. Im trying to find an amp that can help it naturally. Keeping everything intact but enhancing bass precence and body. why is having the volume on the o2 so low not ideal though? Wouldnt bother me. Is there a real issue to not going above 9 o clock?

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
Ya, I read the thread on how to achieve perfect seal for the akg k550s and it does work wonders. But I m still looking for bass body and impact. Not too much but just enough to feel instruments in the wide soundstage without having to eq. Eq always screws up imaging, clarity and basically the whole sound balance with these cans. Seriously the akg k550 scales terribly with eq. Im trying to find an amp that can help it naturally. Keeping everything intact but enhancing bass precence and body. why is having the volume on the o2 so low not ideal though? Wouldnt bother me. Is there a real issue to not going above 9 o clock?

Most volume pots have the largest degree of error in channel separation earlier on in the pot. Not that I hear any obvious imbalance or anything at 9 o'clock, but it's typically ideal to keep the volume pot around the mid region.

It also means that you won't have the fine degree of volume control. Even the tiniest touch up may end up in the music being too loud. 

So overall it's by no means an obvious issue or anything but something to think about when getting the O2. The 6x gain setting is nigh useless anyway if you are not planning on using it with a really weak portable source (or else it clips badly), so IMO unless you do it makes most sense to go with the unity gain/2.5x gain option instead of the default 2.5/6.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 28
I dont feel like buying a modded amp that is only going to fit sensitive phones though. Would the fiio e11 or schiit magni work better for the k550? I dont even care about their bass that much anymore. They suit me for acoustic work, almost anything non-electronic and ambient. Either way Im still gonna get the o2 amp as Im pretty certain Im going to get some he-400s as my next cans.

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 28
The O2's paired with an ODAC, even at the lower 2.5x gain has more than enough power for comparably more inefficient headphones such as HD800's and LCD-2's, and I know from personally trying both. With the HD800's I rarely go above 11 o'clock for most modern tracks.

You're really better off with the unity gain/2.5x option (unless you are going to pair it with a really low powered portable source) for most part IMO.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #22 of 28
Oh so you got it on unity gain personally, thats comforting. Well, guess I'll get it then. Where would I go about asking for the unity gain btw? Is there an option over at jdslabs?

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #23 of 28
I believe it's default setting of the Ephiphany Acoustics version. Not sure if it's an option with the JDS. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
Oh so you got it on unity gain personally, thats comforting. Well, guess I'll get it then. Where would I go about asking for the unity gain btw? Is there an option over at jdslabs?

Yes, it's available according to JDS Labs' web site. You request it at the time you order.

They have a another option or two for gain. I bought the default 2.5x/6.5x model; I should have requested the 1.0x/2.5x option and would definitely do so if I bought another..

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
willmax, have you personally tried the c421 with the k550 (since I see that you own them). And also, which version of the c421 do you have? because I heard the 2 versions are complete opposites of each other and Im wondering which one fits more with the k550. 

My C421 is the newer All Black version with black PCB. Unfortunately I still haven't tried because I still haven't opened my K550 that I got for Xmas :p I have way too many cans man d^,^b

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #26 of 28
My son has an Asgard and the 550s.  I can't imagine it getting a lot better with this headphone.  I believe you're hearing the phones at their best.  The bass is articulate and tuneful: though without much slam (I find it satisfying: I'm not listening hoping for more bass); the highs are a a little thin, but never edgy; the midrange seems absolutely spot on.  I can listen to his phones for extended periods without fatigue.  Voices are especially seductive.  And, the surprise for me, the sound is remarkably open: no sense of being closed in at all.  With this amp, the 550s are much better phones than the Beyer T1 and the Q701.

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
My son has an Asgard and the 550s.  I can't imagine it getting a lot better with this headphone.  I believe you're hearing the phones at their best.  The bass is articulate and tuneful: though without much slam (I find it satisfying: I'm not listening hoping for more bass); the highs are a a little thin, but never edgy; the midrange seems absolutely spot on.  I can listen to his phones for extended periods without fatigue.  Voices are especially seductive.  And, the surprise for me, the sound is remarkably open: no sense of being closed in at all.  With this amp, the 550s are much better phones than the Beyer T1 and the Q701.

Ya, I'm definitely going to keep the k550 no matter what. They are relaxing, isolating headphones and they can't be beat for what they do at this price. So I'm going to get either HE-400's or more likely save up for LCD-2's as my next cans since there's times where I definitely need bass and character.

Quote:

My C421 is the newer All Black version with black PCB. Unfortunately I still haven't tried because I still haven't opened my K550 that I got for Xmas :p I have way too many cans man d^,^b

What opamp version is what I meant. OPA2227? AD8620?

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #28 of 28
2227 and I think It's great, they give me a nice bass boost when needed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back