Best low impedance amp for akg k550s
Jan 6, 2013 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

DreamKing

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there everyone,

Im kinda lost here. Im about to buy a xonar dx for my pc and im looking for an amp to drive my akg k550s. I heard the O2 amp is good with them but I also heard they have weak bass and are clinical sounding...which would be a waste of money for me if thats the case. Basically im looking for an amp thats low enough in impedance for the akg k550s but is warm sound and accentuated in the bass. My budget would be between $150 and $250. Could you help?

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 28
A good low impedance amp would be the new Schiit Magni, and you could get the Magni/Modi Combo and that would still be in your budget. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:
Hi there everyone,
I'm kinda lost here. I'm about to buy a Xonar DX for my PC and I'm looking for an amp to drive my AKG K550s. I heard the O2 amp is good with them but I also heard they have weak bass and are clinical sounding...which would be a waste of money for me if that's the case. Basically I'm looking for an amp that's low enough in impedance for the AKG K550s but is warm sound and accentuated in the bass. My budget would be between $150 and $250. Could you help?

I use my ATH-A900X (40-Ohm) headphones with my O2 head amp. & it sounds fine, to me.
I'm guessing your looking for an external headphone amplifier that comes with a bass boost (and is AC powered?).
The Fiio E12 headphone amplifier will be out very soon, it's battery powered, but I'm guessing it will last awhile on one charge.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 28
From what I have noticed with my Beyer's is that the bass is a bit punchier. And I would say overall they feel a bit warmer, however still neutral in sound.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 28
I also use the O2 with ATH-A900X. However, I also sometimes use the iBasso P4 from my portable rig, and this also works very well. Furthermore, you can tailor the sound of the P4 by rolling op-amps.

Here is a slightly "left field" suggestion: I have also found my old LD Mk III to work well with the ATs on the lowest gain setting, after upgrading the driver tubes. This combination shouldn't work (OTL tube amp + low impedance cans), but it does!

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 28
I use my ATH-A900X (40-Ohm) headphones with my O2 head amp. & it sounds fine, to me.
I'm guessing your looking for an external headphone amplifier that comes with a bass boost (and is AC powered?).
The Fiio E12 headphone amplifier will be out very soon, it's battery powered, but I'm guessing it will last awhile on one charge.

Yes! Exactly that. I dont want anything that runs off batteries unless it can be used whilst charging. What do you mean by "very soon" by the way.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
I dont need a dac though. What does the Asgard do more than the Magni by the way? Are they low impedance as well?
*sorry for the double post. Didn't mean to do that.*

The Asgard and the Magni are both low impedance amp, and can both power pretty much any headphone, the only thing that I know is different is the size, and the Asgard powers the K1000's a little better. 

Schiit says that after you get a Magni, you might not need another amp. Unless you want tubes. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 28
Maybe try the new all black JDS Labs C421 with bass boost. It is a great little amp with lots of features, also it goes really well with Denons. Just my 2c

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 28
Thank you for your post! I think we have a winner here. Looks and sounds (from what I read) incredible. It can also be used while charging, what a beauty! It's low impedance too right?

Jan 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:
Yes! Exactly that. I don't want anything that runs off batteries unless it can be used whilst charging. What do you mean by "very soon" by the way.

The Fiio E12 is expected to be out this month and I have no idea if it can be used while charging.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 28
Maybe try the new all black JDS Labs C421 with bass boost. It is a great little amp with lots of features, also it goes really well with Denons. Just my 2c

If you are referring to the C421 then yes it is low impedance and you can have it engraved with an image of your choice too.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 28
willmax, have you personally tried the c421 with the k550 (since I see that you own them). And also, which version of the c421 do you have? because I heard the 2 versions are complete opposites of each other and Im wondering which one fits more with the k550. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back