Best low cost chip amp
Aug 17, 2007 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

matthew2456

New Head-Fier
Anyone got any recommendations for a good sounding amp for a pair of akg 701 and senny 595?

looking to spend less than £25/$50 on parts.

EDIT: wouldnt actually mind building a valve amp either if it was reasonably cheap to put together

Thanks

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 3
I don't think there's anything in that pricerange, but you can clone a Heed CanAmp or make something extremely similar
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 3
FallenAngel is right. Something like the heed should be the cheapest yet "known" for sounding good.

Just look through some text books to find out how it works(the heed is basic audio amplifier stuff, very very simple). Basically just opamp stage buffered by a single NPN transistor as voltage follower (heed uses BD139, but i like BD138 better) wrapped within the opamp's negative feedback and the transistor is biased heavily into class A using resistor method. (Look at tangent's site to see how it's done. the output current is pulled down towards the Negative supply for the biasing.

If you were to make a heed like amp, i'd suggest you regulate the supply. Heed's default power supply does not use any regulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back